xbox 360 or pc?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by lemonlaw95, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lemonlaw95

lemonlaw95 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB
    you can see my current specs
    i'm thinking about getting an xbox 360 pro
    should i get the 360, or is my computer sufficient?
    i'll be using the 360 for local multiplayer gaming (2+ people, 1 console) as well as online and singleplayer.
    so what should i do?

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Depends, all about user preference. Do you like gaming with a mouse and keyboard or do you like using a controller/gamepad.

There are games that are made for PCs and there are a lot of games that are made for consoles as well. You wont be seeing me play RTS games or many FPS games on a console as well as you wont see me playing a car game or fighting game on a PC heh.

Your computer is pretty sufficient in moderate games that are less graphic extensive. If you really want to play those really high graphic games for the PC then you may need upgrade on a lot of things.

Getting a 360 you get primarily what you want it for. Gaming. It could also be used for watching movies.. listening to music as well. With consoles you pretty much get rid of "system requirements" when purchasing a game. Though console games tend to become more expensive than PC, most of the time it's worth it. 360 has a online feature called XBoxLive which a lot of people like. You are able to browse many games, download demos, and it's primarily used for multiplayer which is a plus for them because they have a reliable network, its also associated with MSN so you can keep in touch with friends and see whos online etc...

Many people who stick with PC gaming usually purchase a gamepad to play 3rd person type games... some FPS, rpg games etc...

So really it depends on what you're looking for in terms of preference of gaming.

1. If you're going to use the PC primarily you may be limited in the games you play since you may need to upgrade on games that are graphic expensive as well as continually upgrading later on.
    2. With a 360 all you need to do is hook it up to a tv, plug it in and you're set
    3. You may need to purchase additional accessories such as wireless gamepads if you want to play games on a PC without having to use keyboard/mouse.
    4. On a PC you are limited usually to one player at a time (local/next to you) and even then you would have to share a computer screen (unless u hook it up to a big screen :p).
    5. Consoles are easy to move around from tv to tv or to a friends house etc...
    6. PC games tend to be cheaper though it outweigh itself when you have to purchase additional hardware.

I personally have a 360 and I love it. It was a good investment on my part and I still do PC gaming but I prefer some games on a PC and I perfer other games on the 360 (Gears of War :)).

So overall it's up to your preference.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    up to you.
    360 should be fairly hassle free and good for more than one person playing at a time on the same screen, as you may need more than one pc for multiplayer in house. also, you may need to upgrade your system specs a little for playing newer games.

4. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    It's like a toy electric car for children versus a real car with an engine for adults.

If you're a kiddy, buy the toy.

If you're an adult well......don't buy a toy.

:)

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    the problem i have with the 360 is paying m$ every month/yearly for the ability just to play games online, kinda sux

OP, its upto you which you prefer, your PC is really outdated, youre gfx card isint bad( ok for medium settings on the latest games but the rest is really old ). 360 or consoles in general are better for 2 player onscreen at the same time, alternatively you could sell your current PC and build a new powerful one( better gfx than 360, cheaper games, free online multiplayer ) with the money for the old one and the cost of a 360 pro.
    The choice is yours!!!!!

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    If you have a big ass HDTV then get the 360 or even a PS3, gaming on a big HDTV is just amazing and will ruin you for any other gaming and if your looking to have family friends around for multiplayer then it has to be a console.

If you don't have a HDTV then i suggest upgrading your PC because you will be missing so much if your using these console on a standard TV.

7. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    It depends on what types of games you like playing. Sports, fighting, racing (some) are all good on a console. FPS, RTS, MMOs, and multi-player games (TF2, Day of Defeat) are good on a PC. So the question is......What types of games do you like.

IMO, if you can afford both, the do it.

8. BorTriggerHappy

BorTriggerHappy Master Guru

GPU:
    5870 & GTX 275
    360 FTW (if you have a HDTV), until the 360 dies on you, which it will!

9. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    I don't think your PC is that bad :p

360 is nice I think. It has lot of games and if you want to choose between PC and 360 games, then go for 360. PC games only look good in gaming rigs and games are cheaper on PC that is the only advantage I think.

PS: If you are looking for long term get a PS3 :O

10. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Ps3 + pc

11. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    pc FTW much better multi tasks xbox 360 just gaming but if you just game fair enu

but on pc a (decent one) you get better picture quality than 360 or ps3

12. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Get a PS3, Xbox360 is a great console but you will always live in fear of the RROD. You also will not get much of a pc upgrade for the price of a 360.

13. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    What's wrong with having both?

14. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Money! ££$$ LOL! :D

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I support this.

16. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Agreed, I would if PS3 went from £300 to £150! :D lol

I game on my 26" "monitor" (TV Screen) on crysis 1080p aa & af love it!

But on car games and sport games I probably so PS3 better as on PS3 they can focus on just building for PS3 but Pc better but lack of engine used wisely for Pc leaves close performance in some games, even though on paper PC's kick ass!

I love my PC as you can do much more on PC than PS3, and I love upgrading, benching and stratergy games and the odd sport games, so PC for me.

Dude whatever you get be happy,

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I support this.

Lol, in all honesty I would love to have all 3 next-gen consoles and a wicked PC. Of course, then money becomes an issue. I decided to buy a 360 instead of buying a new computer, and I've been overly satisfied since the day of purchase. The online community is so much better than the PS3's and Wii's put together, and we are about to get some huge updates this fall that will just be cherries on the top. The game library has something for everyone, whether it be from the arcade that features classic games, or a brand new release that tickles your fancy. Yes, it cost money like previously mentioned, but that's because it's worth paying for. There are a lot of accessories to choose from, but that just gives more options in my mind. Also, the choice to have automatic renewal of your gold membership, or buy it (and MS points) in store is wonderfully convenient. Having and HDTV only sweetens the deal. I only have a 32 inch CRT but the Xbox360 still amazes me every once in awhile. The ability to stream movies, music, and pictures from your XP SP2/Vista computer is a definet plus for me, rather than re-ripping all of your collection to your 360's hard drive and taking up space. All in all, I have been happily connected with my Xbox360 Elite since I purchased it in December of 2005. The console has been dropped once, and the hard drive twice, yet it has never had any problems other than getting scratched. RROD is something to worry about, I guess, if you don't know how to take care of electronic things. I just treat it like a $500 piece of hardware and it works out fine. Please, ask us any questions that you have while in the decision making process. Hope this helps!

18. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb

I have my PC on a big ass 1080p HDTV and it pees on PS3 & 360 :puke2:! I jumped ship from the 360 after having 5 of them. Consoles are tight but limited by old tech. If you only game sparingly go with a console if hardcore go PC.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I have all 3 of the consoles, and the PC, I probably get the most use from my 360. A lot of my friends don't have a PC, or are even interested in PC gaming. I mostly place PC games with my family. My brother, my dad, and my sister sometimes. The PS3 is great, because it makes for a great media center, and Soul Caliber 4. The Wii is fun, because I play it with EVERYONE. :D

20. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    I have a Wii for the family
    360 for me & my daughter
    and PC for me.
    and out of all the systems I love my Genesis the best!, LOL!

Seriously, most people play games on a PC and on console. You have a decent PC, which console are you going to get to complement it?