xbox 360 Networking Odd Q

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Madmarx, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    alright so im leeching a wireless connection to my desktop via a usb adapter its a really good connection can download usually about a meg maybe alittle more from it, my problem lyes when i try to network my 360 to my computer to share the connection so i can go on xbox live, i have been able to do this about 4 or five times since getting my xbox and its worked decent each time tho it usually takes me about 6 hours to mess with the network settings enough to get them to cooperate.

So I'll sum up my problem and question, what do i need to do to set my xbox's ip too to make sure that both my computer and xbox are copasetic the routers ip is 192.168.2.1, oh and i guess i should mention that my 360 is attached via crossover to the onboard networking on my computer, but for whatever reason they have a really hard time with each other. disconnections everyonce and a while sometimes when i start my computer it takes forever to reconnect sometimes it just doesn't connect at all.

p.s. im using vista extreme ed

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Sounds like network interference caused by not assigning ip addresses correctly or due to constant changes, make sure you assign your pc a static ip by manualy entering the ip4 settings in windows, also make sure this corresponds with your router settings by manualy entering your pc's mac address and ip as static in the router's dhcp/lan settings.

As you will be using your pc as a gateway for the xbox 360 you will need to ensure the ip addresses do not conflict between the xbox/pc network and the pc/router network ip range, to avoid this assign a static pc ip address that it is out of the router's normal network range so the pc doesn't assign the xbox 360 an ip conflicting with the router's ip range, for e.g if your router uses the ip 192.168.2.1 then it will generaly assign connected devices in the same range for e.g if four devices are attached they would be 192.168.2.2 for the first and 192.168.2.5 for the last or starting with another ip address but continuing sequentially from that address.

To avoid this you could buy a wireless network adapter designed to be compatibe with consoles, linksys make a few of these and I currently use one to connect my xbox 360 with my wireless router for streaming media and using xbox live, it cost me £25.

ps. I am assuming the pc has no issues running over the usb wireless network and you have tested this with long periods of online gaming and downloading large files etc.

3. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    No i've never had any problems downloading/gaming on my pc, or on my console for that matter when its working, ok so forgive me but my networking skills aren't the greatest anymore, so im just going to clearify, i looked up the ip list on my router and it says there are 3 devices, starting at 192.168.2.3 (which is my pc) and going to 192.168.2.5 so i assigned my xbox to be .8 (just to be safe) is this correct? and would i need to assign a differant static address to the pc for the pc/xbox network such as 192.168.2.7 or something.

Oh and what should the gateway on my pc be set too?

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yes you'll need to assign a staic ip for the pc because it will be the gateway for the xbox 360 i.e the pc's ip address, so in the same manner the gateway for the pc is the router's ip address i.e 192.168.2.1, also the subet mask is auto filled but just incase it isn't you can have it as 255.255.255.0.

If you have assigned the xbox a much higher number as it's ip that should be fine but incase you had left it on auto you could just keep a higher static ip (out of range) such as 192.168.2.7 for the pc (also this has to be the same in the router) and it should assign the xbox 360 the next available number by default.

5. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    i always get a message saying multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network they will not function properly when the gateways are on two separate disjoint networks. when i try to modify the gateway on my local area connection ie xbox/pc connection.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I assume that's when you try entering it in the xbox360's gateway settings, well I would simply leave the xbox's network settings on auto and the pc's network settings as static.

Edit: if you are getting that error when changing the pc's gateway then you could leave the pc's network settings on auto but assign a limmited dhcp/network ip range in the router and match it with mac addresses to ensure your pc keeps the same ip and then manualy enter the xbox's network settings.

7. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    Oh sorry forgot to clearify that, no actually its when i try to make my settings on my pc static for the xbox/pc connection i wrote my ip which is 192.168.2.3 and the gateway which was 192.168.2.1 and when i click ok it gives me that message

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Edited last post.

9. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    ugh...hmm ok so this doesn't make any sense to me when i try auto on my 360 it assigns an address of 169.254.103.191 255.255.0.0, and im sure i don't even need to tell u how wrong that is.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Well due to using the usb interface the pc is using a different network for the router and a diffrerent one for the xbox 360 (which naturally makes it that much more confusing and explains the redundancy error message), so once you have the router/pc network settings as constant (through router's dhcp/lan settings) you can move on to the xbox/pc network and try to ensure those settings are also constant/static to reduce the amount of changes happening everytime you restart. For this reason the xbox 360's ip address itself isn't that important anymore as long as you can find a setting which works and you can get it to remain that way.

11. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    Alright so im trying something alittle differant tell me if this sounds right, my ip config for xbox is 192.168.2.6, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.2.7, My pc 192.168.2.7, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.2.1 my router has my computers ip configured to 192.168.2.3 sound good or did i miss something?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  12. cdubya42

cdubya42 Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800 GTX OC 512MB
  13. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    Damn, nope did what the link said still nothing, see i can't even connect to the network at this point, im just about rdy to take the advice of protocol 48 and go out and buy a wireless adapter problem is im realy strapped for cash atm so i was hoping to get this to work.

14. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    wierd thing i as well mycomputer shows 360 in my network places but still i can't get a connection

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    It could possibly be your lan cable playing up, one way to test this would to try streaming media from your pc to xbox, this should be possible as the pc shows the xbox 360 as connected.

To do this ensure you have any movie using the common xvid codec in an *avi wrapper, now start media player 11, go into it's main options, the library tab and then first choose the 'monitor folders' option, add the folder containing the *avi file.

Click on 'configure sharing' in the library tab, you should see an xbox360 icon here (as it's in your network places/devices), click on settings and make sure everything is enabled with 'all ratings' ticked. Return tot he media sharing menu and tick the 'share my media to' square, click on the xbox icon, followed by 'allow' and then in the customize window ensure it's set to allow all forms of media with 'all ratings'/'allow unrated' ticked. You can also use the 'networking' option to ensure all the network devices are connected.

Enter your xbox 360's media optins and you should see your pc as an accessable device and try to watch the *avi you have shared.

16. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    ok so some progress, that again is just blowing my mind, alright so i did as u said, and for the first time i could actually see my computer in the list of devices on my 360 it says the name of it and everything, however when i try to access the media none of it actually plays it allll fails, and still when i try the 'test pc connection' option it fails the network test. and yet my computer is shown in the devices menu and my 360 is shown in my network.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Could be a bad lan cable, have you got another pc you could test it with? to create a network you just have to do what you did with the xbox 360 but ensure you have both pc's listed in the same network/workgroup (by name).

18. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    actually no i don't tho ive tried a few cables i had laying around, i justspent little while looking for the cable that came with my xbox and im going to try that next ill post when i know.

Nope same thing happens. reads the computer is there but when it tries to load my albums, it reads the connection to your computer was lost, and when i run the network test it fails the first portion almost immediatly

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
  20. Madmarx

Madmarx Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTS250
    wow i looked forever to find a page that had something with my particular situation on it however the first link didn't really have much info on it, and both have info on that i've tried and completed.