Xbox 360 makes me feel like a sucker

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 240aintenuff, Nov 12, 2005.

1. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    Quick rundown of Xbox 360 specs.
    3 Cpu cores running at 3.2Ghz...THREE!!!
    48 Pipes (Not the pipelines you and I know, but still Impressive)
    Awesome GPU with some pretty high clocks (I think ATi makes it)

Thats a strong system, and with the addition of removable hard drives, and the possibilty of Linux and other OS, it just makes me feel like a sucker paying 600 dollars for my GTX.

One thing though... Most console systems don't give the user many Video options like PC games do (Antialiasing, AF, Res, Shadows Etc.) Does anyone know if the 360 will give us those options since its more like a PC now? Framerate is the most important aspect visually to me. MY framerates are gonna suffer as I will be playing 360 at 1080i .I like to keep my frames over 60 all the time, even if it means minimal AA and AF.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Something about the X360 most dont know. But to first answer your question. If you want customization stick to your PC by far. 360 isnt really "next gen" its using hardware current PC's have today. That "42" pipe chipset isnt as optimized as you think. We're talking a GPU designed for a console not a PC. Your AMD dual core is more capable overall than the 360's GPU solution. You will still get better perf from your PC in games compared to 360 and your rig. Lot of hype surrounding 360...i own the first box..and i dont think ill own 360.

PS3 on the other hand. Well this will be true next gen hardware. It will showcase better graphics/storage. 360 games are not on HD DVD's...but dual layer DVD, and therefore cannot be true HD as dual layer doesnt support true HD. This is why PS3 is getting the kinks out of blue ray to support true HD because of disk capacity and compatability. Well worth the wait too imo.

Not only this but an article recently posted here says that the PS3 is capable of adjusting different HD types. And depending on your developer the PS3 is capable of handling 120FPS. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Hope this helps...dunno what else to say about it atm.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  3. Navecko

Navecko Active Member

GPU:
    none
    What is the refresh rate for hdtv? It is 30fps for lowdef tv. The reason you don't see flicker is b/c the phosphors are longer persistance than the ones in your computer crt. But if you have HD then you prob have plasma or something flat and I have no idea how they work.

4. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I saw a 360 on display with an HDTV.
    Seriously it doesn't compete graphicswise to even last gen games (HL2/doom3)

5. mannionmax

mannionmax Guest

Well i won't be gettin a 360, all the games that come out on xbox are on PC at the same time apart from a few like Halo and PGR. Also bout this 3 core processor does anyone know how many transistors it has, bet it has a 1/2 as many as the current AMD 64 processors.

PS3 on the other hand looks far better, there are so many really good games that come out for playstation and take ages 2 come out on any other platform like MGS, GTA, Gran Turismo, Dynasty Warriors (love it). All of these games have sequals coming out on the PS3. Blue-ray looks good too, even though I am a fan of HD-DVD for video, the blue ray format looks very good for games. Still can't believe that 360 doesn't have a HD-DVD drive!!!

PC will always be the best tho, consoles have the spotlight for about a month then they are left in the dust by some new component or videocard. Guarentee that by next summer PC's will be way in front!

LOL has anyone seen the price of the 360's games???? they are £50!!!! here in the UK! Actually that might just be the UK as everyone rips us off, I bet they are $50 in the US!

6. Mirec

Mirec Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4850
    I dont think X360 will be that lame, U must take into consideration that the games are specifcally written for the Closed HW so that means much better optimisation. I will wait at least for the second line of x360 games and see how other consumers are satisfied with the console. Whats regarding PS3 - I will surely buy one and I will most prolly buy a revolution as well. Btw I have more fun playing GT4 or burnout4 than any PC game. And I too prefer lower graphics on the PS2 but a good story in the game and final atmosphere I get from playing it to any PC rpg.

7. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    Lame or no lame.. according to my budget..dont wanna think bout it yet..even though i own both the box n ps2..i dunno if i should get both this time around..considering the price ? im off to buy some undies for now..:p

8. Zedarian

Zedarian Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX+ SLI
    anyways if any of you pre-ordered a 360. unless u ordered it over a year ago don't expect to get it anytime soon.
    I work at gamestop and one with the highest sales.
    for pre-orders i don't know the exact ammount but we have something in the triple digits yet we're only guarnteed 3 systems on the release date. and manager saying we might be lucky to get 20 on the first week

microsoft is staggering the release and got a call-up system telling everyone "sorry but u prolly won't get ur system for a month or 2"

guess they don't want the same issue to happen with the reg xbox.(nearly all first release systems had bugs/glitches) heh i got 4 of em in a row that didn't work

anyways thats just what im hearing who knows it might not be as bad as its lookin out to be.

9. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    Wow, it's capable of 120fps but displaying what? I can say that a 10 year old pc is capable of displaying 120fps and that's completely true.

10. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    I work at CompUSA and we are only getting about 5. We have the demo right now and it doesn't really impress me. Graphics look better than the first xbox, but the 360 just doesn't put out what I thought all the hype was saying. I don't plan on buying one. I will only get one if I win it in our contest (6 givaways of the 360), even if I do win it, I might just sell it. I am waiting for the PS3 to come out. That is a console Revolution!

11. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    If the Xbox 360 looks like **** I doubt the PS3 will be any better. The Xbox 360 is using a fancy custom GPU where as the PS3 is using a modified G70 which is probably slightly slower than the 512MB version with 580/1730 or whatever. They're both being hyped up so much. Remember the PS2 with its Toy Story graphics that Sony promised? I'm sure MS promised something for Xbox that didn't come true but I didn't pay attention to the hype then. The first gen PS3s will likely be recalled although the bugs might be fixed before it reaches the rest of the world from Japan. Remember the PSP with the dodgy square buttons, shooting UMDs (might still be there) etc. The Cell CPU seems like hype to me. 0.2 teraflops my arse. That would mean you only need 576 or something to match the world's most powerful super computer with a hell of a lot more CPUs.

12. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Console specs are very impressive when they are announced, fairly impressive when they hit the streets, and not at all impressive like a year or two later, when they still have a couple years to go. PCs allow for various graphics options because you can have more or less processing power depending on your specs, but not true of a console. This is an advantage in some ways but means you don't have the option of paying more for that cutting-edge gaming experience. Also the removable hard-drive sounds good, but odds are it will only be used indirectly for games. No swapping memory cards and downloading extra content is doable, but as every game will have to run just fine without it, it can't really improve gameplay any. Console gaming will undoubtably always be a much better deal than PC gaming in terms of how much it costs you, but it will never truly catch up in other respects. That PC gamers expect to pay $500-$1000+ a year for the priviledge basically guarantees that to be the case.

13. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

I disagree, i saw how the graphics on the 360 were at Best Buy, and iv never seen such graphics at that framerate, not even with a 6800UA(i havent seen 7800GT graphics). And Iv also seen the PS3 graphics, and they are good but not as good. On the 360, you can be in some intense action and not lose framerate. I think the 360 has the PS3 and Revolution smoked like a philly blunt!

And by the way, 120FPS, not impressive. Even my 5200 is capable of 240FPS. I get 240FPS on the Lobby demo on 3DMark 01 SE. Im not sure what the FPS are on the 360, but im sure they are over 120.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  14. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Apparently after 30 FPS you can't tell the difference anymore... I think TVs are broadcast at 25 FPS for instance. Having 100+ FPS only helps you if the extra GPU power allows you to avoids momentary FPS spikes below 30.

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The 360 runs Call of Duty 2 with max settings @ over 60fps. Who in the hell thinks that isn't impressive for 300 usd? You gotta be outta your mind to think the 360 doesn't compete with the best pc card out right now. The only way your gonna beat the 360 is with sli. The ps3 might be slightly more powerful but alot harder to program for. Anyways, xbox live obliterates anything sony has put together for an online service(umm... zilch). I love online games and thats what has sold me on the 360. Also the hi-def, my 55 in is gonna basically look like a giant comp screen. The ps3 really hasn't sold me on any good points yet except for "slightly" better gfx(if that even holds true). Thats just not enough to make me wait a friggin year to play on my hdtv. Has anyone seen pgr3? If that's not next-gen someone clue me in plz.

16. mike41

mike41 Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    ps2 learned from its mistakes, of people judging xbox for stronger hardware so theyre maxxing out the ps3

17. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    the ps3, is true next-gen technology, it has blue laser, but the gpu is about 2 7800 gtx's together, ill agree that the xbox 360 has the best looking generic controller so far, but IMO ps3 is much more popular than the 360 and since i did go to E3 aftershow, the graphics for sports games on the 360 are great, but on others, its so so, the 360 next year will be outruled i gaurentee it.

18. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

not true, the PS3 was rated to be equal to 2 "6800ULs in SLi"

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The ps3 gpu is a modified g70. They call it g71. I highly doubt it equals 2 6800u's in sli. That was probably just said to grab attention. The 360 gpu basically has free aax4 (could be x2 but they were saying x4 at first) with the 10mb embedded ram, freeing it up to do other things. Bottom line is the gfx are not gonna be greatly different. So looking at other areas would be the best option. Blu-ray does sound good but it's gonna make the ps3 too expensive for alot of people imo.

20. 240aintenuff

240aintenuff Member Guru

GPU:
    Unlocked 6950
    I Think anything past 60fps is unnoticed by the human eye. Everylight in your house is actually turning on and off 60 times a second. Not a 100% sure though. Some very good points have been made
    Point #1- PC has alot more customization.
    Point #2-PC has very frequent upgrades and a much more powerful GPU will probably be released by the time PS3 is out.
    Point #3-Some 360 games didn't look too impressive (Perfect dark looks like garbage imo)

But one thing a console system can do that a PC can't do, is give you COMFORT. I can actually lay down on my bed, with a warm blanket, and 3 pillows shoved behind my back, instead of being kinda hunched over all the time, and not being able to extend my legs while im on the PC. :p I have had a $50 reservation on the 360 for about 6 months now, so I'm gonna buy one just so that money doesn't go to waste. Probably just put it on ebay with a $475 reserve (assuming I get the Premium package), and If it doesn't sell, I'll just return it.