Xabre 200 Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by Capri, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Capri

Capri Guest

Hoping for a little luck and help :)

I have an onboard Xabre 200 on my motherboard. It has worked flawlessly up until recently. It seems that many of the newer games are no working on my PC.

I first noticed the problem with a game called Xpand Rally. I was able to get it working with some tweaking of the game files, specifically the refresh rate. The game set the refresh rate to 85, I changed it to 60 and it was good. Some more tweaking of the game files got everything to work ok.

Other newer games, I haven't been so lucky. My PC does meet all the requirements of the games, but the video is always screwed up. Specifically, a game called The Punisher. I believe it has the same issues as Xpand Rally, but I can't tweak the files at all.

A game that is some where in between is called Immortal Cities : Children of the Nile. The game play is great, but when you are at the main menu of the game acts like Xpand Rally did before I fixed it and how the Punisher does.

http://www.mercurycapri.com/untitled.jpg

There is an example of how the menu looks. the rest of the game is fine.

Interestingly, the demos of the games do the same thing as the retail versions. One game, still in demo and has the same requirements as all these games, works without any problems.

I've tried all 3 drivers from SiS (3.08, 3.10 and 3.57) but to no avail. I've tried overriding the refresh rate in DXDIAG, it doesn't help. I've tried setting the adapter refresh rate to optimal, default and specific refresh rates, but it doesn't help. I've also tried the UniVGA3 driver from SiS, it didn't do anything. I've even tried hex-editing the EXEs looking for some kind of hard-coded refresh rate, but I can't locate them.

I am using DirectX 9c. Other games with the same kinds of specs don't have these problems.

I'm not a hard core gamer, but the few games that I do play I would like to work.

Getting another video card is not an option. The Xabre 200 is onboard the mainboard and there isn't an AGP slot. Other than this new twist with the newest games, it works flawlessly.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    Xabres are notoriously bad for the latest and greatest games. It has to do with the APIs that they use and the fact that shared memory, even if it is DDR, is a lot slower that dedicated graphics card memory. As far as a demo working and the game doesn't, simply put, most demos are dumbed down a bit so that a wider audience can experience the game and then go out and buy it. It's kind of dirty pool but that's way the game is played(no pun intended). All in all, your out of luck, sorry.

3. Capri

Capri Guest

Thanks!

Actually, my card does have dedicated graphic card memory. It does not share any of the 512MB I have installed on the mainboard, it has it's own 64MB DDR400 memory right on the mainboard. It's a pretty good board that actually incorporates the entire Xabre 200 right into the board. THe only thing it lacks is the video out, otherwise it's no different than having an actual Xabre 200 AGP card plugged into the board.

In doing some research on the Xabre cards, they were apparently some of the first, if not first, cards to support DirectX 8.1 and the 8x AGP speed. It's a shame that SiS discontinued support for these cards so quickly. Many other cards that are a little older still enjoy a lot of support and updated drivers.

I am still going to try and work with it.

4. Capri

Capri Guest

One problem solved...

I've got one problem solved. Immortal Cities now works. I am still working on The punisher.

I redownloaded the 3.10 Xabre driver and went into the 3D Utility and overclocked the GPU to the max(there isn't an overclock utility with 3.57). I also turned on XmartDrive and XmartVision(whatever those are). All the problems with Immortal Cities are history.

I love when something works. :D

5. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

Sorry to be such a cock, but why not get a newer card?

6. Capri

Capri Guest

...Cause...

The GPU is incorporated into the mainboard, there isn't an AGP slot.

7. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

Still, a Fx5700LE can be found in PCI form

8. Capri

Capri Guest

Although it might be able to play the game, is it going to hamper game play with low FPS compared to the 8x AGP with 64MB of ram?

It's just as much of a nightmare to not play a game due to driver issues as it would be to play it and it would be too slow.

9. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

Here is a good article for PCI video cards -

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445

As you can see, even when limited to PCI the Radeon 9100 and Geforce 5600 still perform fairly well compared to their AGP counterparts.

10. Capri

Capri Guest

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! It looks promising.

I need a good PCI video card anyways for another PC and if this doesn't work out on one PC, I can use it in my other so it won't be a waste of time or money.

11. Gnarg!

Gnarg! Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2 (HIS)
    Time to upgrade yer PC.. Someone? :p

12. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

Re: Thanks!

I have a eVGA GeForce4 MX440 SE/64meg DDR RAM that I will sell you for $25...you send me $30 and I will pay the rest for shipping.
    ;)

13. Karst

Karst Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 5700 Ultra 128MB\9600Pro
    I built a system for my mom's house for myself and my sister's+ the kids to use when we visit using the same chipset. Mine is the ECS K7S7AG. It's a sweet little package, But I've given up on getting any newer games to work with it. It plays the classics well enough and the rest of the mainboard features are fine.

My main reason for choosing it was it was the funkiest thing I'd seen done with a Mainboard in a long time. An Actual Direct X 8.1 Graphics card "grafted" onto the motherboard memory and all.

[​IMG]

Could you post some of the tweaks you've made to the driver files? I may try them when I go up there this summer just for kicks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  14. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

If you don't mind me asking,....who are you 'talking' to?

15. Karst

Karst Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 5700 Ultra 128MB\9600Pro
    The OP

16. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

A guide was posted on www.xabreganers.com before it was hacked how to get Doom 3 running on a xabre, maybe you ask around? :p

17. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

OP??? Operator?

18. Capri

Capri Guest

Original Poster.

19. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

Ok cool. Thanks for responding. I know it was a stupid question but I had to ask. Thanks again.

20. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    A xabre 200 is faster then a 5700LE, by quite a wide margin