X99 rig going under water eventually

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fantaskarsef, Feb 8, 2015.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the feedback!

Well I flushed and rinsed a few times afterwards until it did not smell like vinegar anymore (I did not use pure vinegar, something like 1:4), and they do look better from what I can see.

I too noticed how well they transport the heat, as I was flushing them with rather cool water, and instantly felt the rad become cooler even on the hand that was away from the water.

To be honest, I guess I will just go with it and hope for the best. The rad I flushed that had the flux inside actually gave off rather 'milky' water afterwards, and after rinsing a couple of times it was gone and looks better inside now. As I've already waited that long I hope it will be okay, I would not want to wait another three weeks...

I flushed the blooks too, but there hardly came anything out... tbh it somewhat worries me, since in each and every tutorial I read I saw them give off rather abundant amounts of flames and such, but maybe EKWB does a good job there. I did not watch that closely with the rads though.

Any good tips on mounting the waterblocks onto the graphics cards and mainboard? Besides being increadibly careful, of course ;)

2. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well, I mounted one waterblock plus backplate on the first GPU, and boy this takes time. Maybe it's because I've been doing this for the first time and being extra cautious, but certainly it took me hours.

And I'm still not certain I did it right, because I watched a vid of the mounting of the backplate after I put the waterblock on, and it shows to apply thermal paste on the VRMs before putting on the pads, and I did it the other way around.
    Also I am wondering, did I do wrong on putting small drops on the RAM chips (from Samsung, thank god no Hynix memory), of course after the pads too?

Finished, the card's not as heavy as I thought, which is kind of a relief.

I just wished I could have started earlier, but I spent the time in sunny weather and fresh air as I helped my grand parents and parents with their garden work, so I don't feel that bad ;)

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I had a RAD once for a friends machine that i was building were the flux was so bad that i baked it in the oven for 1-hour with vinegar and water and it totally stunk the house out lol. Got rid of the very stubborn Flux though!

Ive always put pads on and then thermal paste ontop of the pads. As long as the thermal paste is not conductive like Arctic Silver 5 it should really matter although i would still put pads on first then paste ontop.

Just remember take your time and dont rush and things will be fine. Apply some thought and common sense before you do anything. Its actually very easy tbh and its usually other people that make out the custom water is difficult when in fact its rather simple. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    It seems rather simple if you take each step for itself, but it is lots of work compared to an air setup. So it's more the workload than the difficulty, at least in my first noob's opinion. But I think I'll be good, I used non conductive TIM and the pads that came with the waterblock.

Today I will pick up some more GC extreme (two big syringes), better more than I need than too little. The EK Ekother included in the package is just about enough to cover GPU, some small dots on each and every VRM, and some small dots on each RAM chip.

I've watched a vid of a guy putting on the EKWB waterblock on the Strix 980, and he used an alcohol wipe for specs to clean off the VRM after taking off the stock VRM heatsink. I did not do that, will this be a problem? It did not look like there was any residue off the pad under the heatsink with the stock cooler, but should I take everything off once more and exchange the Ekotherm TIM for GC Extreme, as well as take those pads off and clean the VRM?

edit: Would it be worth undoing the block / backplate and trying to clean off the EK Ekotherm and reapply GC Extreme? Hmm...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    The paste on the vrm isn't necessary if you have decent pad contact. Ive not done that on my titan and even with 1.45v vrms never got hot

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I cleaned mine of the old paste using a proper TIM cleaner. Mine was brand new and I never even used it on air, I went straight to water.

Tbh if you have no TIM cleaner just remove the old paste as much as you can and then apply the new paste.

Agent-A01.....I never used to do that myself regarding TIM on the pads but the TitanX EK WB instructions says to put TIM on the pads so I thought why not. Its not going to hurt.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I removed the old paste (was only on the GPU), but I was wondering about any residue left by the thermal pad underneath that little heatsink on the VRMs. I left it out now, since I just finshed putting both waterblocks (and backplates) on the graphics cards. :D

And yes, the 980 Strix waterblock installation manual also says that performance can be improved by adding a little of TIM too, the only thing not coming out clearly was if the TIM's to be put ontop of the components (RAM, VRM, backside things), or after the thermal pads.

I'm nervous about the mainboard monoblock... wish me luck! Will be moving on to the monoblock tonight or maybe tomorrow, certainly I've run across another question:

I got the D5 pump / reservoir combo from EKWB too, and the manual (link) states I should remove the pump first. I thought it came pre assambled?

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont know what pump/res combo you have but with my reservoir i had to remove the pump housing (plastic) and screw in the pump. Pretty easy tbh.

Edit i just looked at the manual that you posted, yes you just remove the plastic housing and usually apply a different rubber seal (O-ring) and screw the pump in. My Reservoir came with another O ring to use but with yours you may or may not need a different O ring.
    Easy stuff, Id say Good luck but you dont actually need it :)

So basically the pump comes surrounded in a plastic housing.

1.Remove the plastic housing.
    2.Take the actual Pump and O-ring and place the O-ring the correct way.
    3.Screw the Pump into the reservoir.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I just broke my mainboard. One of the distance holders / screw female between the chipset and it's heatspreader 'went off' the heatspreader, and because I couldn't get it off I had to use pliers from the other side. As I had to apply some force to get the screws out, I somehow slipped, and broke off two small electrical things, some kind of bridge for the electrical current I guess.

All because the glued in female came lose... if I didn't know I screwed up myself, I'd blame that lousy glue that made the cooler fall off once the other three screws were losend. I also won't try to make the seller pay for it, it's my own fault I f*cked up, and I think I have to pay for it.

I don't dare to even try and run it, probably frying my CPU or something else. I will have to order a new one, costing me another €500 including shipping.

I'll fairly devestated now, and I'll quit for today... order a new mainboard with express shipping tomorrow. This rig is nothing but trouble...

[edit] I just checked, my advanced return coverage lasts 6 months. I might as well contact them and ask. Can't go wrong with asking, and putting back on that lousy stock cooler.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So... the shop just answered me, giving me the following information about my no worries insurance I paid for:

I should send it to them. They look at it in their tech department, and if they see I did not damage it myself (which they will most likely not, underneath the stock cooler), they will send me a new mainboard. It takes about 24 hours for them to get one, and then they will send it to me, meaning it won't be here before the weekend.

This leaves me with two options: admit that I'm a clumsy f*ck and order a new one with express shipping, that should (or, could) be around on Friday, or I have to wait until next week, and not even know if I get a return board.

Interesting decision here... I might as well buy the USB 3.1 version, send in my old one for RMA / repair, and get the 3.1 to use, and the 3.0 to sell with a bit of money lost (I'd get a new one after all), or I could just wait and see what happens.

The only thing still staying the same: I'm a stupid f*ck :D

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Stuff happens sometimes.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Not really, since technically I could have just used it under air. No damage done there, I just want to have it special. I'll be sending the board back, we'll see if they'll return me a new board, or if they will chicken out stating 'we've noticed you losened the screws on the stock heatsink' or something similar.

I've managed to get another board now, which should be available for pick up today, or the latest, tomorrow, so I can continue working on my rig. Now I've put the blocks on the GPUs, it once again feels like getting it done is in arm's reach.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Bloody hell mate possibly the worst that could happen for yourself. At the end of the day you can only Learn from it. Take your time even more so when unscrewing anything. Did you have to pay for another board or did you get it exchanged?

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well I paid for the board I'll be picking up later today or tomorrow, the other I'm sending back.

If they exchange it, I'd end up with two boards, most likely returning one to the local store were I'm picking it up (costs about €20 more, but no shipping), or selling it with a little loss online.
    If they don't give me another board, I didn't wait on it for another week or whenever they'd get it back to me.

All this reminded me of the only other time I accidently damaged hardware: ASrock X48 Turbo Twins, I needed too much force to do something, and bent the seating / soldering of a condensator on there, about six or seven years ago. Back by then I wasn't careful enough, but this time, if only that screw would have come off the stock heatsink like the other three, this might not have happened at all.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What are the parts you damaged? Can you circle them on a motherboard pic and show us? They might be easily replaceable; you don't have to throw a whole motherboard away because of a damaged component or two.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Easily replacable is a question of first, getting them, second, having somebody to solder them back on. The parts themselves are less than 1mm in length and half to a third of a mm in width... not labled, nothing written on them. I still have got those two little things, but I wouldn't know what to do with them since I don't even have anything to solder them back on.

[​IMG]

Red ring should look like blue ring ;)

I will try to get that damaged board exchanged, my 'replacement' board is already here, I picked it up this afternoon.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So for an update now, here's the pics of the waterblocks on the GPUs and the monoblock on the Rampage5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's just hope everything runs, I did not break anything (again), and did not do anything wrong with mounting the blocks. I think I will start to put things together this evening still, yet I won't see any real progress until maybe tomorrow evening. So wish me luck things will come together... I don't dare to imagine what happens if I put stuff together, and I get BSODs, devices not found, etc. etc.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Those are SMD capacitors, very easy to solder onto the board by someone who has a soldering station for such tiny components. Most likely the board would have run without those capacitors too, if they are not crucial (used for regulation or decreasing ripple) just not in an ideal condition.

Anyways, tell us how it all goes. If you do get back your first board, know that it is easy to repair.

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, actually I'd have access to people used to soldering at work, yet nobody I asked has the equipment for such small components.
    I hope they send it back in for repair, which would give me a working board one way or the other. In the meantime I'll continue with the second board, and hope everythings running the way it should.

Even if those components might not be vital in terms of running the board, I would not want to risk damaging my CPU / RAM also, which would only multiply the financial loss if this would happen. Rather go for another board than for a complete second set of mainboard, CPU and RAM ;)

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So, there's an upgrade, see the pics below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Most things are assembled, besides PSU and power cables of course. Looks like I might be ready to start leak testing tomorrow, or friday.

Getting to work with the barb fittings and tubing was some experience... I'm somewhat surprised I manage to 'measure' I'd need about 2.5m, thought about ordering 3m, and then decided for 4m. Now I've got a little over 1m left, so 3m wasn't that bad.
    Also I used one less 90° part which actually made putting the tubing together easier. I guess it's better to have one more than being short by one bit ;)

Only now I realize I'm only that far, there's still the uncomfortable moment around of booting for the first time with everything installed. I so hope that everything works on a hardware level...

:pray2pc: