X99 rig going under water eventually

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fantaskarsef, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Dont worry about rad placement, just do whats easiest. Water temp will come to an equilibrium regardless of layout.

Check out bitspower fittings, those are my favorite.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The board with separate blocks will not matter, ive had boards before of my own and built for other people with the most restrictive of blocks. Pump setting 3 is usually enough. It dont really matter about layout tbh but I went for assuming water coming from the pump or res (in my case its both as there as one connected) cpu,mosfet,rad, gpu, rad an back to res.

Try to let gravity do the work and pull the water down if you can to help the pump flow. This will mean your pump will need to be high in the case but if its not don't matter. Those pumps are very strong flow and head pressure. You can even get an aftermarket pump top which will increase head pressure. Dont think you will need it tbh. Your main concern is the rads, whether quads, triple and single or dual fan. Ive ran rads in the past with dual or push and pull fans and unless your using a shroud I only seen a 2 degree decrease with fans running at 1200rpm. Meh tbh.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, I've seen those to be awailable around here, as well as some other bitspower things. I'll look into it eventually, but was unsure if those were of quality and 'to be trusted', somehow looked rather budget / a little shady, I don't know why though, probably because I never heard of them before.

That sounds reasonable, I was only wondering if double fans would be able to go slower, thus resulting in lower total noise of the build. As well as not needing to go much beyond the lower paces of the pump because of the same matter. But I'm already starting to consider to eventually go for thinner 480 rads, but that's just an alternative option so far.

Yes, I was giving the loop arrangement some additional thinking and switched it up a bit, which seems a little more logical to me:

reservoir / pump
    top gpu
    bottom gpu
    bottom rad
    cpu
    mosfets
    mainbaord
    top rad
    fan controller

I thought that maybe keeping a rad in between the heat producing components keeps overal coolant temperature lower, since the temperature difference between the first block and the last block won't be as high, at least I guess so. Should make for quite a few crossing tubings and 'multi layered' tubing though. I think some 30° or 45° angled fittings could help with helping on arranging the tubing without too much kinking danger.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I've just seen that EKWB offers premixed liquids to use in your watercooling, presumably with something against algae growth in there too. Would something like that be a good thing to get, since I'm well aware I'll need something like the Nuke anyway. They offer that stuff in different colors, although I'd rather stick with the clear one and colored tubing anyway.

On the other hand, as I plan to use rather low rpm on my radiator fans, wouldn't it make sense to drop the Monsta rad and go for something like their UT 60, which scored just slightly better in some 500rpm tests, while the Monsta gained in performance with higher fan spead (and air pressure), like it's expected.

edit: Oh yes, EKWB now offers a MONOBLOCK for the Rampage 5 Extreme! See here for example; it's not even stated on their newspage! You've seen it here first :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Now you can update system specs @ your profile :nerd:

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe technically I could, but as I'm actually not even using my new hardware at the moment, I'll just update once the rig's running properly, with watercooling applied and everything. But then... :banana:

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I would wait for the monoblock, also only use distilled or deionzed with pt nuke and silver coil. Dont bother with any of that pre mixed crap, all it does is clog your loop up quicker which means a tear down is much more frequent. Those products are only there to make money and they certainly not the cleanest option. I would rather use tap water which I've actually posted on this forum in the past. No problems, dont listen to the money marketing hype because its all bs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well no damage with sticking to distilled water, the nuke and silver coil.
    And yes, the monoblock now is available, I was quite pleasently surprised yesterday as I saw that EKWB had them available for order as of now. :)

Also, I've had a few thoughts about the rads. I guess (mainly because out of space reasons) I will go with two Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm rads, one at the bottom (side) and one on top.

I thought about going with the thinner rads, not the Monsta, because I want to run at low rpm, where the UT60 has shown to be adequate and mostly matches the Monsta, only with higher rpm the Monsta proves to be superior. With the low rpm concept and the easier installation, I am only worried about it's cooling capacity now... 2x 480 UT60 rads plus 4 fans each in push config, will that be sufficient for my system?

I feel I'm nearing the parts list completing, the only things I still have to figure out is what reservoir I will get, basically effecting the decision on the pump too, and then it'd be off to fittings and barbs and that stuff, as well as fans. I've yet got to check out those Yate Loons you have Vet, I have to admit I've never been aware of them until your build thread. Also, as suddenly I find myself in the situations to want to have a nice looking build also, I guess I'm a bit less enthusiastic about certain color schemes, like the Noctuas ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sounds good man. I do not have Yate Loons, I have XSPC fans that outperform the Yate Loons, are better quality and are much cheaper. I provided a video in one of the threads proving this.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    It's been some time, so here's a little update. I have been cought up in that thing called RL a little, but I hope to have time to do more research now, as the HTPC I'm building for a friend is finally in the phase to download 1.2GB of windows updates... and dammit, I want to get my rig done, I feel haunted by all the boxes standing in my living room, and the 900D on my dining table, taunting me every time I enter the room... :bang:

I've been doing some measuring and figuring out if the two rads will fit into my case, how long the tubing will need to be, how I'll be routing the tubes and the whole loop and everything, so I was considering fittings also.

Right away from the start I was rather sure I'd want compression fittings out of security reasons against leaks. But what I am not sure of, what do I need rotary fittings for? For instance, the difference between this and this Bitspower part? I'm fairly aware that the first has a male and a female end, and the other two males, but what's going on with the rotation thing? Also, with the first one (male/female), I'd have to use another compression fitting between the tube and the angled part, right?

Also I was wondering if I should include any ball valves and / or quick release couplings? Where do you put such things for best use, like the quick release ones before and after GPUs for instance, or a T part to drain your look at one of the lower points?

Besides that, I'm fairly certain I'll be going with the EKWB Strix GPU full cover blocks, the EKWB monoblock for the R5E, two UT60 480mm rads from Alphacool, and a Res+Pump combo from EKWB with the D5 PWM (with 11 steps of PWM signal, the lowest being 1450 rpm).

The rad on top will be somehow a little tricky, because I most likely will have to put out my optical drive, but that's fine with me as I didn't see it necessary except to install windows, and planned to get rid of it after the rig runs decently anyway.

Also, I was wondering if I should get myself a multi-gpu bridge from EKWB, but I'm a little hestitant about it, since on the EKWB page they have bridges for two cards with some spacing in between, but it says it's 69mm apart, whereas my R5E is slightly further apart (measuring from PCIe slot to PCIe slot), what's up with that? Also, would I want to have those two GPUs running parallel or serial in terms of the direction and sequence of the loop?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No time at the moment, ill give my opinions on this later.

12. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI
    Just install windows Via flash drive, a lot quicker and easier than using an old school optical drive

Create Windows 8.1 disk

on there if you create media, it will download win 8.1 directly from Microsoft, just need a legit product key when installing.

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Huh, interesting! Thanks for the tip! I just wondered, since I bought the 840 evo desktop upgrade kit, if this USB SATA thing works on the dvd drive too... now I'll probably search for an USB stick I can delete without worrying about any data on it, and probably go for this method.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The difference with those fittings is that once fitted the one will rotate and the other will not rotate as much. So when fitted the rotary will rotate 360 degrees. I have both of these fittings in my build and yes you can get them with male or female connections.

The QDC or quick release fittings are best put around the GPU's as these are changed more than any other component. Depends also on how long you plan to run your loop before you tear it down. I had QDC's but decided not to use them in the end because i dont tear a loop down for 2 years minimum so there not really needed unless your changing gpus all the time.

A ball valve is optional really, you dont really need one, i just put one in my loop because it looks good. You can drain the water off at any point really, just put lots of towels around your components and undo a fitting at the lowest point. A ball valve can be placed anywhere but you need one of these to allow 3 way connection. This is the start of the T section.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Bitspower-T-Adapter-3x-IG-14-inch-carbon-black_49413.html

As for GPU running parallel vs serial, not much difference, take a read here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1014950/sli-water-blocks-series-or-parallel.

Also you may need to order parts as you go along, you cant just order everything and expect it all to fit nicely. This is how a custom build works, order some components, fit them, plan next components to be fitted, order some more, repeat.

Thats how i did mine:)

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the input Vet, it's much appreciated.

Well I guess it's a little more of measuring, and ordering stuff either today or (more likely) tomorrow. Unfortunately I'll have to order quite some stuff from outside the country (Germany), since the rads and res / pump aren't available in Austria, for instance. It will take some time getting here *sigh* I'll keep on updating.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Im not sure if youve got all your parts but id skip the ut60, i got the 280mm and the damn screw holes dont line up, can only get 2 screws in on the fans diagonally, pretty lame.

Just went from a cosmos 2 to a corsair 750d because i wanted something smaller, 360 + 280 + 120(couldnt fit my 240rad at the bottom because 280 is too thick). IMO at first it looks harder than it actually is, you shouldnt have to order a few parts at a time, just go all at once, but make sure it supports two 480s(im sure you did that already)

As for fans, skip yate loons, plenty of better options. Ive tried a lot, noctua nf-f12s have been the best all around. IF you dont like the color get the industrial ones they are black. XSPC xinruilian fans are great for the price

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah just take your time and try to plan as much as you can before you order. Make sure the place your purchasing from excepts returns just incase. What are you doing for the fan controller.?

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Wow, that's a bummer... screw holes not lining up, actually that's quite a problem then! Guess I should reconsider just another one of the components to get, oh well. Another radiator brings me back to the main problem, get a thinner one with push / pull config, then once again throwing over all of the concept. And I'm not even considering fans atm, since every time I think I'm making prograss it's one step forward and two steps back until I'm at the start again. The never ending story continues! :bang:

The next one in line would probably be the Hardware Labs Nemesis 480GTX rad, and of course the XSPC RX480. I'd prefer the XPSC one, as it has less fpi, thus helping lower fan rpm, is that correct? Then again, going for a thinner rad would enable push pull with the fans (space reasons), then again more fpi would be a decent thing.

Yeah.... I start to get the feeling I bit off more than I can chew, because it starts to get really frustrating. I can barely figure out which components to get, because every time I think I found something that should work for me, I realise, or am made aware of, problems that might be game breakers. Now I have that kickass hardware and nothing to do with it... zomg! Makes one feel so stupid not to have figured stuff out and then, probably half a year later, buy something completely different. :bang:

As for the fan controller, it will controll 8 fans... so I'm not sure I really need to watercool the one you've got, but basically I would have gone with the one you've got in your build Vet, along with watercooling it, just in case. I'm just not aware of what an impact the additional (although small) block will have on my system in terms of performance, pressure, or flow rate. Those things are all but mere myths and magic to me :eyes:

I'm also reconsidering changing the EKWB res/pump combo, maybe going for two pumps.

Thanks guys for your input, I have about zero clue if I'll ever be able to figure water cooling out, or when I'll do it, or if it will actually be anything like I hope for, but I wouldn't know what to do without your advices.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    I've always liked xspc. RX are pretty good. High fpi requires higher rpm.

No need to go with dual pumps. Won't help, 2 rads isn't restrictive enough to benefit.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    90 degree bends and flow restriction is exaggerated tbh, its nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be to try to get you to spend more money.

As for watercooling ive said it before in the past and ill say it again "Its common sense". All it is basically is connect A-B and tighten a few screws or fittings. The trickiest part is planning out the loop but thats it tbh.:)

Alot of people make it more complicated than it actually is tbh.