x850xt => your 2 cents ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Webwiper, May 5, 2005.

1. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    I just ordered a Asus ax850xt HDTV AGP card for my sys ===>

This is my very first ati-card ... i experienced too much trouble with my last 6800gt (stutter bug, temp probs, ...).

1° Changing nvidia to ati :> simple matter of uninstalling and installing drivers ? Or is there more to it ?

2° Someone owning this card ?

3° Is it flashable to an x850xt PE ?

I'm so freakin' nervous n'till it arrives next week. It's a damn lot of money :D Any form of comfort is more than welcome :p

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

2. Agent_D

Agent_D Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    its ATI, to me thats comfort enough :)

3. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    yeah, the switch over is quite easy:

1. uninstall nvidia drivers, turn of PC
    2. open it up and swap cards
    3. reboot, and install ati drivers

and you should be good to go

i recently did the switch the other way around, 9600pro >> 6600GT, and it took me a litle while to get the hang of the new forcewares and config them, i hadnt used a nv drivers since 45.23 was the latest newest **** (ahhh those good old gf4 days)

i am going to format my system a bit sooner then originally planned though, it seems to be 100% stable right now, but im planning some other hardware reconfigs soon, and i think a reformat might improve things a slight bit, but for a graphics switch over it isnt necessary

from what ive seen in benchies tha x850xt should own the 6800GT mostly, but i bet it cost you a pretty penny too, but then again, nothing is cheap these days

id say you should have one hell of a time with a card like that, im enjoying the hell out of a simple 6600GT here

and as for flashing to PE, isnt the PE just a slightly higher clocked version of the x850xt? id say a modest OC would do the trick too

4. mikeymike

mikeymike Active Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900XT + X1900 master
    i have a X850Xt but i went for the HIS one as the cooler is one of the best available. I must say that this card will definately be better than the 6800. As for flashing the card just run ATItool and that will easy put you in the speeds of the PE but some cards come with similar programs anyway.

Mine has an I-turbo function that changes the clock from 520/1080 to 540/1180 and even when i run it on full i never get a temp over 45C so it more than good enough for me. Also yeah like said above they not cheap mine cost me £350 but will last a while as i have PCI-X which is coming more popular than AGP.

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    I had an X800XT PE and that thing flew in benchies, damn fast (see sig) and that should be roughly the same speed as a X850XT non PE. It didnt perform amazingly in my rig in games so I swapped over to a 6800GT and, touch wood, have had no problems of any sort with so far sat at Ultra speeds. Back to the point, prepare to be impressed. :)

6. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Thx folks ...

Indeed, the new card (tax and shipping included) costs me about 540 euro. But i'm hoping to sell my 6800GT for 250 so that should soften it up a little ...

Ill' keep you guys (and galls ?) informed on arrival :D

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

7. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Hi all,just my quick 2cents,i'm well impressed with the x800xt bench scores below,i reckon i might do a bit of tweaking on the w/e and try to hit:-
    6400 mks 05/13000 mks 03dmark,haven't bothered since i got it so after seeing some of your scores,it makes me wanna push more,i will go further.................................post back at w/e.

8. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I'm sure its an awesome card, but anyone who can live with having that much money tied up in one component must have rather a lot of money.

Just too expensive IMO - whats wrong with the next model down and saving a load of $/£ /whatever?

Fair play if you can afford it though - i sure would love your job :)

there are things i'd rather buy than an X850XT PE with that money...

9. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Since october 04 I'm working on getting my rig stable :p You oughta know what I've been through !! The last thing I want mended is the 6800GT stutter-bug ... Been searching for a solution over three weeks now => sell 6800GT

But it is a lot of money. I'm 25 years old social worker :D (about 1300 euro/month) => still want my job ? :p

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

10. Hitec004

Hitec004 Banned

GPU:
    **XFX nVidia GF 7800GT 256 GDDR3**
    First : THE 6600GT is not simpel AS Some Guy said ...
    its Faster than the 9800 Pro 256Bit if you remember
    Even FarCry when you read the manual they say
    high end recommenced is 9800Pro So this is a rather powerful Card for the Money and with SM3.0 That the fastest
    ATI card does not have..So first FarCry ...then Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and third .....Its not it will last forever or
    its the Ultimate ...But it is Powerful..on 1280*1024 the native and maximum 19"LCD.
    I will not defently go for the Bragen side
    and put all lll lll that money on THAT mere VGA...If i want something for the futer I'll get SLI 68GT period....
    BUT Enjoy and forget about the money side.....
    Ah by the way If you want to sell your 6800Gt AGP Tell me.
    Thanx

Last edited: May 6, 2005

11. Hitec004

Hitec004 Banned

GPU:
  12. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Sure I'm selling my 6800Gt ... highest bid so far 250 euro ... but you'll have to drop by to pic it up :D

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

13. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Your x850 XT will own. I only have a x800 XT and am enjoying Guild Wars at max settings in 2048x1536 with no problems, and since the x850 is even better, I'm sure you will love it. Don't worry about flashing it to PE clocks, there is nothing to unlock, so just overclock it (or leave it stock if you want) and you will be happy.

14. Klave

Klave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    :eek:)

I just love my 6800 Ultra..........................

15. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Re: :eek:)

Want a cookie?

16. Klave

Klave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    Thanx

It goes even faster now,,,,,,,,,,

17. Klave

Klave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    SLI

I rememeber way back when , I think Voodoo had this,, soon very soon there will probabaly be 1 card, ( with label ATI/Nvidia) that does the same thing as 2 SLI cards.

That's why SLI "died" way back, but of course, they might hold back,,,and produce this fast card later.

My point is that SLI didn't "survive" back then and I see the old times coming back to "haunt",,believe me...it sound the same.

That's why I love my 1 and only 6800 Ultra because it kinda performs like 2 6600 cards... get my point?

ATI vs Nvidia,,well my ATI friends for now Nvidia is driving the "car", but who knows , tomorrow it might you guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

18. Hitec004

Hitec004 Banned

GPU:
    HI...
    Klave: The point that you've mentioned is absolotly right...its simple
    if we assumed that the persone will purchase a new hardware every
    8 monthes and if we set this day as the day of the first 6800GT PCIe
    purchase with its other over priced parts....So the one must purchase
    #2 6800Gt after those 8 Monthes, AT that time its old archetecture old
    Gpu will the main stream of the new Gen (if they bring one) will be faster
    thatn kind of 1.4*6800Gt for the price which is maybe less. its abvious that
    2*6600GT will not match one 6800Gt So this archetecture needs more
    development ...it could reach its goals ..maybe not.!

I'm with the One Card solution all the way..but U have to admit 2 looks pretty.
    ----> i would like to ask which quality settings U use (quality or high quality?)

Negative LOD bias :Clamp or Allow? Thanx in advance...................................

Dear X850Xt owner : 250euru for the 6800Gt is about 320$ abit higher than
    a new one on Zipzoomfly or newegg...
    I'm interested but the price need some adjustment its up to you I know
    if we can chat about the matter or SkyPi talk ....and will see..

By the way I love nVIDIA all in all ....

19. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    I think SLI is here to stay. Back in the old days, hardware cost more and they just didn't have the technology they have now. Of course in a year or two there will be one card that can perform as good or better than 2x6800 GT's, but most likely there will be some kind of SLI version of it, so for those of us (like me) who like to build new rigs every year SLI will be very nice for getting the max performance available. Also, you see both AMD and Intel boards supporting SLI, so I don't think this technology will be leaving us anytime soon. And Voodoo went bankrupt, which probably had an affect on why SLI didn't last.

20. Hitec004

Hitec004 Banned

GPU:
    It's absolutly right ....They like the way the SLI configeration accepted &
    we will se future SLi VGAs so Work and Earn money and spend it wisely
    hardware all the way..