x850xt and Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 rev. 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Webwiper, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
  2. ASmokerz

ASmokerz Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 9800 PRO @ 405/715
    Ur card Asus Extreme has a pretty damn good cooler it is not @ all worth the money unless u got spare cash to burn.

Ur cooler is already a DHES (Direct Heat Exhastion System) cooler which is the same as the Silencer. If noise is an issue go for the silencer which might screw up ur warrenty and might just make ur card a paper weight.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  3. Crystalvain

Crystalvain Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    "If noise is an issue go for the silencer with screws up ur warrenty and might make ur card a paper weight."

If everyone thought like that no one would mod anything,and wheres the fun in that!?

4. Aramoro

Aramoro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS X850XT PE VIVO AGP
    * A word of caution *

Shortly after getting the same card, I replaced the stock cooling with an Ati Silencer and nearly ruined my card. Everything thing seemed fine at first, but within a few minutes of starting up, the card would fail and I lost all picture. After removing the new cooler, I noticed that the stock heatsink has a raised section that sits directly on top of gpu, the Ati silencer does not. I suspected that this created an air gap causing the card to seriously overheat. I contacted Artic Cooling about any incompatability issues with the Asus card (Asus tends to make changes in their versions over the reference hardware) but the reply said that there were no known issues with their cooler and X850XT, but did not mention the Asus version specifically. Anyway I reinstalled the stock cooler and have had no problems since, thank goodness! In fact my bench scores were done after this occured. It is possible that I did something wrong but I really don't think so, I still feel it was a compatability issue. The stock cooler works very well, even after extended gaming, temps stay around 55c-60c and it idles around 42c. As for the noise factor, I crank the sound when I play, so I don't notice it!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005

5. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    The stock cooler was kinda hard to remove. Some screws were realy fastenend extremely hard. After removing the stock cooler I noticed that the GPU and MEM didn't touch the tock cooler completely (marks of cooling substance told me so).

I installed the Silencer without any problem. When fitted in my case I noticed a rateling sound. At one point, the silencer made contact with the little chipsetfan on my mobo. Used my dremel to remove a bit of silencer and there we had it, complete silence :p

Cooling with stock cooler:
    - idle gpu/env : 43/44
    - stressed (bf2) : gpu/env : 74/56

Cooling now with silencer after 2 days:
    - idle gpu/env : 38/36
    - stressed (bf2) : gpu/env : 56/48

Conclusion : I'm a very happy camper :p

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005