X850 Pro MOD to X850XT/XT PE

Discussion in 'Links' started by jblade, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Salem13

Salem13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW DT
    W00t!

I must have been doing something wrong cause today I decided to take one more whack at it and I got 16 pipes showing in ATITool... it was either syntax or the flashtool but today it went through first try.

Schaweet!

2. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Just to reiterate what the person said about the zalman, I agree. I used to have a vantec iceberq 5 with load temps up to 59C. The zalman VF700-Cu gets load temps around 51C which I just purchased and put on my X850 card.

So far, so good, the card is chugging along. :dave: :biggun: :biggun:

Joe

3. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    IT works guys. just follow the directions. I did it several times before i got my 256 x850 pro agp to unlock all 16 pipes. if using atiflash just make sure when at the command promp you add -newbios -f and then all the rest. it works. and you can also flash it back to the pro bios just don't put -newbios in the command line. that will fix the prob with the fan. it works i have mine at 560/620 been like that for a few months with no problems at all.

4. Internal

Internal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 @ 950/1400
    Does anyone know if ATI is putting locks on the 850pro's now?

Best Buy has them for $229.00, but I don't want it if it's locked.
    I to max out my AGP port with XT PE speeds and 16 pipelines.

I REALLY want a flashed 850Pro to XTPE to go with my 3200+ Veneice core overclocked to 2.6ghz.

THX

5. GixxerRacer371

GixxerRacer371 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GT SC 512MB
    Well after being a life long Nvidia fan I've gone over to the dark side and bought my son one of these ATI X850 Pro's at MicroCenter for $179...... it has the yellow VIVO connector and chip but how do you tell what speed memory it has? I know next to nothing about ATI cards......

6. Internal

Internal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 @ 950/1400
    $179?

Geez and I thought I was getting a steal for $222.

Flip the card over so your looking at the bottom.

You'll see 4 square ram chips.

The very last set of numbers of letters on the chip will say GC16 or GC20.

GC16 is the 1.6 and GC20 is the 2.0.

Do you have one warning/stop/ReadThis sticker on your cardboard or just one?(One sticker means older, two is newer).

Also, what color is your manual? The newer manual is most black and the older manual is mostly red.

For the record it took me 3 cards to finally find one to unlock.

The first card had one sticker on the cardboard box, 1.6 ram and an older manual.
    Thought for sure it would work but it didn't after many times trying. I thought this card would have worked.

The 2nd card had 2 stickers on the cardboard box, 2.0 mem and a newer manual. It never had a fighting chance but I tried. Many flashes no success.

Both of these cards never went over 70C running at XTPE speeds for the record.

The 3rd card had only one sticker, 1.6mem but had the newer manual. It unlocked on the first flash. It will run at XT speeds at 70C but will not run at XTPE speeds on stock cooler. The 4 extra pipes are creating more heat I'm sure.

I've already purchased the arctic 5 cooler and it will be here in a few days.

For this point forward(Mid Dec 05) the percent of unclockable cards is getting smaller and smaller so if you get it on your first card, you should feel lucky.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  7. GixxerRacer371

GixxerRacer371 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GT SC 512MB
    ok...... this one has the GC2.0 memory.

One sticker on the box.

And a Black manual.

Should I even attempt a flash on this card? I was thinking an XT flash but not the XT PE.

Thanks for the help! I thought about trading him my 6800 Ultra for it since I have more use for the VIVO than he does.

8. AtiFanboy

AtiFanboy New Member

Alright, I purchased the ATI Radeon x850 pro from Best Buy. They had it on sale for $229. I've checked it over, it's VIVO and is 1.6. I've been using that techpowerup article and have tried flashing the BIOS over and over, all I end up doing is changing the clock speeds. I even used the empty.bin and immediately *without rebooting* flashed the x850xt BIOS. Any suggestions? Should I try the atiflash tool?

9. MikePags

MikePags Member

GPU:
    ATI 850X Pro modded to XT PE
    Thanks jBlade

Got an X850 for $205 @ Best Buy, found your thread, and running 16 Pipes @ 540/590 XT PE. Thanks so much for all the info and links. I backed down to 500/500 till the Zalman gets here. 1 Q, Should I up the Vid core voltage on the sys bios? Sys specs are DFI 754 3400 mobile @ 2.6 G, 1 G Patriot, True 480
    P.S newbie to forum, T/A

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  10. Internal

Internal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 @ 950/1400
    Take it back and try another card.
    I went through 2 cards at bes buy before I gave up.

Ended up finding one at curcuit city that unlocked.

Try to find a store that doesn't sell as many cards as best buy and try to get them to price match.

11. MikePags

MikePags Member

GPU:
    The first card I got from BB was the Locked one w/ 2.0ns [before I read this thread] . Went back and got the display Card. Some stores put only the outer box on the shelf, and the card is in their lock box, and has been sitting there for a while, turning out to be the older UNlocked one like mine.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  12. DTH Soul Reaver

DTH Soul Reaver New Member

GPU:
    Asus V8200 64MB OCed
    Hi. I own the same card.
    But on techpowerup site is there no connect3d x850pro AGP bios, only pci-e.
    What to do?

13. Oap_Redbull

Oap_Redbull New Member

hi guys

could someone explian step by step how i flash new bios onto my x850 pro as i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this. tried reading the first post but getting no where:nerd:

14. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    Connect3D x850pro 500/1000 - 5.13
    Try the Ati x850xt bios agp...that should work..Im getting my card on 27 december...must wait until..post your result

15. MikePags

MikePags Member

GPU:
    Huh

Did the mod and everything looked great, 16 p 540/590 ATI Tools and will run basic loads. Backed down to 500/500 for gaming till the Zalman cooler came before I bumped to 540/590. Cooler installed and running much colder. Try to run 3d Mark 03 and sys crashs. Ran 520/540 [XT speeds] and runs fine and gained 500 points. I'm happy the pipes unlocked but not stable @ XT PE speeds. Card never goes above 54c. I'm guessing the pipes can be unlocked, but clock speeds can vary with the chipset. Pondering trying another card.

16. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    Connect3D x850pro 500/1000 - 5.13
    how much points in 3dmarks? with mod and without mod & OC

17. mjc85

mjc85 New Member

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    The generic x850 pro runs at 500/500 (1000 effective), and the yellow connector is indeed a vivo plug

19. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I flashed my x850 with no prob. I have had it at 16 pipes for several months I love it. I just bought another one from best buy to put in another computer. it is exactly the same as the one i have but it won't unlock the the 16 pipes i did everything i can think of. some people have been having the same problem with the new x850 pro agp's for sale. maybee the gpu is laser cut now. If you have any ideas let me know.

20. mjc85

mjc85 New Member

As for speed i meant is it 1.6ns or 2.0ns ?