X850 Pro MOD to X850XT/XT PE

Discussion in 'Links' started by jblade, Aug 21, 2005.

1. bildge_rat

bildge_rat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon X850Pro OC'd to XT
    There must some component differences between our boards... actually I'm certain there is if you have a true x850xt PE. I know that with the memory on my board 610 mem numbers just aren't happening. I'm currently stable at 560/587 and I might even back off the mem settings just to make sure I'm not crashing in game (I play a lot of RTS games and crashes drive me nuts).

The core on my x850 has been more forgiving. I've run the core as high as 570 without a problem, but as soon as i started stepping up mem settings I'd get problems. But running the core at a lower setting and bumping up the memory has given me the biggest boost in performance.

I'm also running my CPU at 2.19 right now, and since I've found stable settings for the x850 I can start getting serious about OC'ing the 2600XP. I did set the CPU at 2.21 at one point last night, but it wouldn't even boot. I need to do some looking about which frequency and multipliers work best, but the motherboard is a weak link as far as being a budget board with a crippled memory controller, no serious OCer would ever have bought this motherboard. As it stands now, I'm not too worried about OCing the CPU very much because for the games I generally play I'm in pretty good shape and I'm buying a whole new rig fairly soon.

2. jwilson56

jwilson56 New Member

Anyone have the instructions for flashing from a bootable CD (the link on the first page is broke)? My system does not have a floppy drive on it. Thanks

John

3. bildge_rat

bildge_rat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon X850Pro OC'd to XT
    In XP:
    Get a dos bootdisk with cd-access from www.bootdisk.com. Along with those files burn whatever flash utility you're using along with the ROM(s) onto the CD with the bootable files. Make sure your Motherboard's BIOS is set to boot from CD (sounds obvious but everyone overlooks it once), and you should get DOS prompt afer boot-up. You don't have to worry about accessing any NTFS files to flash the video cards BIOS.

4. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Goto www.techpowerup.com there u will find a flash utility that can be used to flash from cd-rom.

5. Duke_lod

Duke_lod New Member

GPU:
    evga 8800GTX SLI
    Hey all, I flashed my ATI x850pro some time ago but flashed it back because of hsf. I got ATI Silencer 5 (Rev. 2) awhile ago and the other day I thought I would flash the bios again. So now when I try the flash I got a message:
    video adapter not found or video adapter 0 not found. I get that when i try to back up my old bios or flash to the new on. If any 1 has had this problem, or has any idea to try, the help would be good.
    My card is ATI x850pro made by ati, it has the yellow thingy, it's agp...and other questions just ash.....thanx

6. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Hey duke when u flashed the second time did u use this string: atiflash -newbios -f -p 0 ati850xtpe.bin
    -newbios is important.

7. Duke_lod

Duke_lod New Member

GPU:
    evga 8800GTX SLI
    foxbat25, no I didn't use the -newbios in the string. It wouldn't let me back up my old bios and I thought I should have it in case something happened, I also try different atiflash like 1.0 - 1.3 - 1.5 to see if they made any difference. A few would not even work. What about when it said "ati video adapter not found"
    but it has a 0 in it there some where, my video card works fine and I got in new. Sorry for all the "what abouts" and "what ifs" thanx for the help...

8. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Ok now u will need a new hsf. i reccomend the zalman Fatal1ty (fs-v7).keeps my temps very low:)

9. SkuL23

SkuL23 New Member

GPU:
    A7v600
    helpme

Hey guys, i bought a x850 pro 256m last week and im kinda disapointed with the results. I got the 16 pipes unlocked and im running 530/530 but my fps in games are kinda bad. I tried 3d mark 05 and i got a 5600 scores but in games my fps is bad. In CSS, i got like 40-50 and in action it goes down to 20-30. In Call of Duty 2 i got 30 to 40 fps in 1024 and with the AA/AF enabled. In Most Wanted i got 30-40 fps. I think my "crappy" power supply might be the problem but i want to know your feeling about this before i buy a new one. I would probably buy a Antec NEO 480 or 500 W.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
    I would suspect either your processor or your power supply. If you have some sort of sempron or athlonxp 2800+ then I would suggest taking some in game settings down and turning off AA and AF to reduce the processor load and see what kinda FPS you get then. It sounds like you are trying to do to much for your processor because an X850XT can handle the settings you mentioned with the right processor. Like I said earlier, just take down all the ingame settings, see what FPS you get, start turning up ingame settings and testing FPS, then you can start adding things like AA and AF if you are satisfied with the FPS. Lemme' know if you need anymore suggestions or help. :)

11. SkuL23

SkuL23 New Member

GPU:
    A7v600
    I only used AA or AF with Call of Duty 2 because i can run it very well but in other games like CSS,Most Wanted in action when i got lot of ppl on the screens or car the fps goes down to 20.

thx for your response

12. Drakis

Drakis New Member

GPU:
    C3D X850Pro 12p@16p 550core/560mem
    Hi
    Just got myself a Connect3D X850PRO 256MB with VIVO.
    The ram on it is Samsung GC20 (2.0ns).
    I haven't connect it yet, but the GPU says:

RADEON X850
    215RAFCGA11F
    GG7595.1
    0519AAP
    TAIWAN

What are the chances for a unlocking the pipes, and what am i to expect from overclocking it?
    I will replace the stock cooler with a Zalman VF900Cu

13. Drakis

Drakis New Member

GPU:
    Follow up:

I installed the card, and it's a R481 core, with 12 pipes.
    I flashed it (using dolf's bootcd) to x850pro with 16 pipes.
    Reboot, reinstall drivers, reboot again and voila!
    16 pipes here we go!!!

Next, i installed a Zalman VF900-Cu with artic silver 5, and put ramsinks on the board.

I haven't overclocked it yet, but anyone has experience with this board to tell me how much will it give? The rams are Samsung 2.0ns so i think they will not give much, maybe x850xt speeds (540)?

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    You will probably not get anything out of the memory since they are rated at the speed they run at. However, with the core, it seems to vary widely. I would just raise the core speed 5 MHz at a time and do a bunch of testing.

Have fun and make sure to keep an eye on those temps. (Running rivatuner in the background will give you good temp monitoring abilities.)

Joe

Edit: The XT's usually have 1.6ns rated memory installed.

15. Drakis

Drakis New Member

GPU:
    Ok.

I'll put it at XT speeds and see what it does, at least the core.
    The memory i'll see what it (will) can do.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
    Awesome job on the flashing and getting 16 pipes! Hopefully your card will run stable at XT speeds or beyond. I also have an R481 modded to 16 pipes and my cards max overclock is 551Core and 610Mem. My card also has 1.6ns on it so don't expect to get 600 or so but maybe your core will go somewhat higher. Let us know your results.

17. Drakis

Drakis New Member

GPU:
    Hi

I'm at 550/550 (core/mem) at the moment, without vmod's.
    My mem is 2.0ns, so i will not push it much further.
    It's stable with atitool, scanning for artifacts, for about 2 hours now!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  18. LaGGYsX

LaGGYsX New Member

GPU:
    X850 XT PE
    since this thread is not dead i just want to ask you guys some question. I just got my x850 pro i flashed it yesterday works perfect. got the 16 piple and fan control... but i was wondering what is the die temp? it runs at around 76 loaded. ide 43 stock coooler

19. Drakis

Drakis New Member

GPU:
    Get rid of the stock cooler. Instead, go to a Zalman VF700-Cu or better yet, a VF900-Cu.
    Ii will keep your card a lot cooler, it will do much less noise, and prolongs your card's life.

20. LaGGYsX

LaGGYsX New Member

GPU:
    X850 XT PE
    naw i dont want to spend any money at least not more than 15 dollars..... i got this card of ebay for 32 dollars it was sold as is and not working. but some how i got it in perfectly good condition and i flashed after i saw the threads. i just want to know the die temp... thanks

by the way i got an ati vga silencer rev.3 arctic cooling... i was wondering will this work. its from my ati 9800 pro. I have try connecting but then i saw the pin has different connectors.but i dont know the box said x850 pro support.hmm.... mistake?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007