X850 Pro MOD to X850XT/XT PE

Discussion in 'Links' started by jblade, Aug 21, 2005.

1. NitroSS

NitroSS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x850 pro
    I got an ati radeon x850 pro NIB today. I installed ati tools and looked at the CONFIG_DIE_FUSES & CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES lines. They read
    CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFFFFFF
    CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES 0xFFFFFF9F

might have miscounted the F's but no D's.

serial number is a 18061 & has the yellow audio plug

unlock?

2. NitroSS

NitroSS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x850 pro
    Well I see all this info on what you need to flash your bios with. But nothing giving a step by step guide. of what to do exactly. I figure get into DOS and run FLASHROM.exe But that didnt amount to much. After that it said hit any key to continue but it just went back to the C:\> crap and nothing more.

Also I dont have a floppy drive. So what am I suposed to do? I seen a CD boot image on techpower up but its for the x800 xt not the x850 xt. anyone have a suggestion?

3. NitroSS

NitroSS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x850 pro
    nevermind I found some info on a bootable cd with selectable options ;)

4. akhandyman

akhandyman Member

GPU:
    ATI 1900XTx 512mb PCI-Ex16
    I am in the same boat here. Can someone tell me BEFORE I buy this video card ATI X850 PRO if it is capable of unlocking the 4 pipelines?

5. Biohazzard

Biohazzard New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900 GT OC
    Yes the X850 PRO is capable but only certian card with the serial number that have 52 all others will not unlock. I had to take my card back 7 time before I got one that would unlock. now i run a 7900 GT from nvidia

I hope this helps

there is a thread on the forums that tell exactly what SN you need

6. TiGeR-E

TiGeR-E Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    Foxbat i got some issues here:
    Flashed the bios on my card with the xtpe one, got the speeds but it didnt unlock the pipes. Also im having some major issues now:
    My desktop preferences are messed up its showing monitor 2 as my primary (i only have one monitor) , my resolution wont change its like my drivers didnt take after i flashed and reinstalled them and rebooted. ATI tool is giving me the not used by windows error and some pixel error!

PLEASE HELP ME!!..lol

I was scared to do this and now im in hellmans....

thanks

Tiger

EDIT: I reflashed using the original bios and all is back to normal, any ideas why the XTPE bios did a number on my system like that?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  7. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Did you use the -newbios command.
    it should look like this: atiflash -newbios -f -p 0 850xtpe.bin
    (rename the bin file to a shorter name).
    and what flash tool are you using.
    use this one ok.
    www.techpowerup.com/downloads/282
    good luck:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  8. TiGeR-E

TiGeR-E Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    Fox thanks
    I followed the instructions to the Ti checked the extra settings in ATI tool and it showed this
    CONFIG_DIE_FUSES 0xFFFFEFFF
    CONFIG_SUBSTRATE_FUSES 0xFFFFFF9E
    CONFIG_ROM_FUSES 0x861
    GB_PIPE_SELECT 0x6E48

so i think im screwed...lol Would getting a x800XTPE be a trade down or a decent upgrade?

9. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Sorry:( the x800xtpe is better than the 850 pro. only because it has 16 pipes out of the box. but is a fast card as well.
    where did you buy you 850pro.take it back and try to find one with a #52 in the serial #. i got mine at compusa.
    then you will be able to flash it but the 800xtpe is a very good choice.

10. TiGeR-E

TiGeR-E Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    hmm i may just have to then its 199 here my cards over a year old, and since i got my AC 5 rev 2 on this one i can just swap it over right? Ill give the x850 to my best friend he needs a new card. =D thanks fox , ty for freeing my wallet of this money thats got cobwebs on it...lol

11. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    i`m moving to pcie this month on my bday the 21st and will be getting the conroe e6600 with a 1950pro and i hope it will last till i can afford a dx10 card. i will be selling my 850 with a zalman fatal1ty cooling fan for about $150. till then Rock On:)

12. TiGeR-E

TiGeR-E Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    cool my Bday is on the 25th =)
    Oh on a side note ive always had a issue uninstalling drivers and the CCC it never seems to want to go away..lol Could you PM or email me explicate instructions (i use DC pro) but im always afraid im gonna erase the wrong thing or i do it in the wrong order..lol

13. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    just uninstall it in add remove programs then run crap cleaner.
    goto to the download section here and download the ati drivers removal program and still run crap cleaner afterwards to make sure everthing ati is gone then install new drivers and uncheck the ccc in custom setup. i only use att and ati tool as well as radlinker for ocing my card..

14. bildge_rat

bildge_rat New Member

GPU:
    Radeon X850Pro OC'd to XT
    I just bought a X850Pro and I've managed to unlock the four extra pipes using "flashrom16p". I flashed a X850XT PE BIOS to the card and everything has gone as planned except that I haven't found any settings or BIOS copies that enable the fan controller to work. I'm using ATITool to keep the fan at 100%, which is OK as a workaround. I've OC'd the card slightly to 520/540 and I'm stable. My power supply is probably too weak to go much higher than that anyway.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable the fan controller on the card post-OC. Flashing back to my original BIOS didn't work, as Flashrom16p disables the pipes lock function of the in the card's firmware which is why I used it rather than another utility - just in case any of the unlocked pipes were bad I could re-install the original BIOS instead of being stuck at 16 pipes.

Also, I would also like to know which aftermarket cooler worked best for this card and what, if any, settings I may need to change in either Catalyst or ATITool. I'm leaning toward the Silencer 5, because it channels the heat out of the case.

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
    First off, you power supply seems to be enough for your system. Second, I have had the Silencer 5 for about a year and it is the absolute best because it keeps the card very cool, exhuasts heat out the back of the case and it's dead silent even on 100%! As for the BIOS/fan stuff I don't know. Also, I would recommend trying out Ati Tray Tools as your main tweaking/configuring program so that you can use the newest catalyst driver (not CCC) and be able to change all the normal settings. Let me know of any questions or comments :)

16. bildge_rat

bildge_rat New Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the advice on the silencer :) I just upgraded my power supply today (CompUSA had the Antec on sale for $69.99-after rebate, but still...), from a Thermaltake TR2-430.

I needed the extra power becaused it dawned on me to just bypass the onboard fan controls altogether and run an aftermarket cooler on 12V - I went with a Zalman VF-700 because the same place I bought the power supply had it in stock, and I because I nearly crapped my pants when ATITools froze up in the middle of an artifacts test and the gpu got too hot to touch... Did I mention I've decided to ditch ATITools as my main tweak prog?

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
    Good news on the power supply part. Also, if you've dropped AtiTool for tweaking you should definetly get AtiTrayTools which can be found here on the main site. I would have gone with the Silencer 5 but I've heard that the Zalmans are also good at what they do while they do recirculate hot air in the case though. Let us know if you have any question/comments and tell us about your overclocking adventures with the new cooler and power supply!

Also, have you considered overclocking you processor? It is gonna be a moderate bottleneck if it's at stock speed with an X850XT. You would be able to keep you RAM at its stock speed and just overclock the CPU and test it with Prime95 to find a stable overclock. Just consider that the higher your processor is clocked (in this case) the more FPS you will get in games.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  18. bildge_rat

bildge_rat New Member

GPU:
    Thanks again for the advice. The x850 is currently running at 560/540 and the Zalman is performing better than I had hoped. I haven't installed ATITrayTools yet, but I've downloaded it. I'm just thrilled with the performance it's giving me over my old 9600xt. I bought Doom3 just to see how it would run... yeah, it's been a while since I played an FPS. ;)

I'll be overclocking my cpu, but right now I have a stock AMD heasink/fan and my mobo is lousy for overclocking (it took 3 BIOS revisions before it fully supported the 2600+ XP's FSB!). I think I have the only NF2 board with single channel RAM. By the way, my RAM is some PNY junk that I'm lucky to have running at CAS2.5... it was cheap, but out of the box it was 3-3-3-8. I'm geting 2.5-3-3-7. Obviously, this is my system's "last hurrah" before I build a new 64bit rig sometime in the next year or so.

19. bildge_rat

bildge_rat New Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the heads up on AtiTray :) Benching and testing for artifacts is much more stable than in ATITool. With ATITool my memory wouldn't overclock very much, but with ATITray I'm at 560/560 and haven't hit an artifact bench or in game and I'm getting 34.7 FPS in Doom3 with AA and AF maxed out.

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
    Great news! Just two things you should keep in mind. First, I don't know about your X850 but mine has some weird thing with the core that will lock up games after about an hour (generally.) It's wierd because my card overclocks to 564Core and 618Mem without artifact but after TONS of testing every game of mine worked fine except for Battlefield 2 and Oblivion. In Battlefield 2 it would lockup after about an hour if the core is anything above 555Mhz so that's why I keep it at 550Mhz :) In Oblivion, it would never crash, but I would get some moderate to severe artifacting with textures on the ground because the memory was clocked at 618Mhz. I found that it goes away when I put it at 610Mhz so that's why I have my card clocked at 550Core and 610Mem! Your overclocking experience may vary but just keep those in mind if you run into any of the same problems it took me weeks to figure out.