X800XL World of Warcraft performance....

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Tusin, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Tusin

Tusin Member

So I got a computer from my bro, Pentium D (I THINK it is the 3.2ghz, I am at work and cant remember for the life of me which one it is), 2gb of ram, 320gb hd, ATI X800XL, 19" Viewsonic FP @ 1440x900 res.

I run WoW at the native res of 1400x900. 2x AA, AAF on low for now, settings turned down pretty low. I get frames ranging from 100fps (in places like Ironforge, Stormwind etc...), but in Shattrah, and AV my frames will drop down to 20 (even have seen 15). For people that dont play, when there isn't to much going on my fps is high, but when there is they drop down alot. Now I know this is a common thing, but I dont think it should be ever dropping down to the teens. I did a little test, with my laptop that has a Nvidia GO7400 in it. Connected it to my 19" monitor, stood in the same place in shattrah, put it on the same video settings in WoW as my desktop, and was getting about 20fps (which is fine for my laptop). Switched over to the Desktop and pretty much the same FPS as the GO7400.

I just dont understand how with the X800XL I get a 3dmark05 score of 5150 (does that sound low?), and then with my laptop I get a score of 2128, but in WoW performance is similar.

Any advice would be great!

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Turn off the all supreme performance killer, AA. AA is the one main resource sucker. Oh yeah, stop playing WoW, it kills brain cells, LOL. :D

3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    for some reason shattrath city is a real performance killer, ive tried with various settings, lowering resolution, lowering AA, enabling LOD and so on and theres been next to no change in performance. the place just runs like sh!t.

4. slicksickwilly

slicksickwilly Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    Yeah 2 places in Shatt really blow.. Right around the Gryphon Master and the Arena Battlemaster are the worst.. My 1950xtx only gets around 30 fps in these areas.. A huge fight in AV will also drop my fps into the teens at times but only for a split second or 2.. I guess its somthing im just gonna have to live with as i am not turning the eye candy down.. Whats really odd is my 7900gtx never had the huge fps hit that my ati card takes.. It never went below 40 fps anywhere with everything maxed..