x800 XL mediocre performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by soul8103, Aug 29, 2005.

1. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I like ATI and Nvidia. I simply tend to lean towards ATI. I will give ATI one huge negative...their support sux! The two times I have sent a question in, I get an automated response thats not helpful at all....*please check the driver section" yada yada yada. That blows. If y'all do decide to return your cards, go with the 6800GT. Anything less, and you'll not get the performance you're looking for.

3. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

4. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Totally agree, hell I went from a X800XT PE *down* to a 6800GT and once i clocked it to Ultra (400/1100) it was actually an improvement in my real world gaming. Its totally illogical, but it worked.

Gonna slap the old dog (6800GT flashed to Ultra) back in the main rig tonight and she how she does, I like a change every now and again and using the Nvidia control panel is like putting on an old glove. :)

6. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Until you switched out your mobo anyway... ;)

7. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

8. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

9. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah i may try summin like that. Although ive dissabled my onboard grafix and audio from the bios so im really confused......

10. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Thats true, but even now nothing really feels any faster between the two cards (obviously odd differences here and there but nothing like it used to be). The one real advantage of being limited to 1280x1024 on the XT PE is that (in a lot of games) 6x AA is a pretty realistic option, whereas the 6800 has only 4x multisampling (which is still nice dont get me wrong) or performance sucking supersampling/combined modes (although again, useable in some cases). Be nice to see a bit of Digital Vibrance on my main again though, makes WoW look pretty sexy at times. :)

Guys, good luck with your cards. If i get time later I will try and get a few runs of my 6800GT in my main rig to give some comparison to benchies I posted last night. Hope everything works out for you. :)

11. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I think its going to do you justice. Its simply a bad combination of ATI with your current setup. Something somewhere simply isnt clicking right. I bet the 6800GT will work well for you. Just know that not everyone has issues with ATI cards. Mine screams. I play BF2 at 1280x960 with all detail on high, 4xAA and 8xAF. Run between 50-70fps, with a rare dip into the 40's.

12. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah maybe but i have dissabled the onboard audio and video from my bios

13. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    lol oops posted same **** twice. Its definately something that is just not clicking in our systems

14. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I tried the sound idea, but it seems to have no major effect--and you can't uninstall the sound card because then games just don't want to start. So, I think I'm down to two options:

1. buy a 6800GT for about 450 dollars tommorrow
    2. buy a motherboard with a different chipset tommorrow

Any recommendations as to which one will solve my problems? On one hand, buying the GT should solve my FPS problems if it's anything graphics-card-related--but what if it isn't, and I'lll just end up wasting so much money? On the other hand, I can get a different mobo--but what if it isn't a compatability issue with the chip--then I'll be stuck with two mobos and nowhere to put them.

15. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    $450? Where do you live? You can return it if it doesnt work out right?

16. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I live in Prague...and they usually don't let you return stuff and get your money back. They'd only take it back if something's broken and even then, you'd get an identical card. Is 450 for a GT much/little by American/British standards?

17. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    You can get a 6800GT for around $280 in the U.S.

18. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    6800GT flashed to 6800 Ultra @ 400/1100
    P4 Prescott @ 3.78GHz
    Forceware 77.77

3D Mark 2003: 13,012
    3D Mark 2005: 5,713
    3D Mark 2001 SE: 24,148
    Aquamark 3: 74,384
    CS:Source VST: 117.66 4x AA 8x AF 1280x1024

X800 Pro flashed to XT PE @ 400/490 (X800XL stock)
    P4 Prescott @ 3.78GHz
    Catalyst 5.8

3D Mark 2003: 11,341
    3D Mark 2005: 5,117
    3D Mark 2001 SE: 24,217
    Aquamark 3: 70,618
    CS:Source VST: 102.45 4x AA 8x AF 1280x1024

X800 Pro flashed to XT PE @ 560/560
    P4 Prescott @ 3.78GHz
    Catalyst 5.8

3D Mark 2003: 13,611
    3D Mark 2005: 6,503
    3D Mark 2001 SE: 25,586
    Aquamark 3: 77,265
    CS:Source VST: 127.34 4x AA 8x AF 1280x1024

Only synthetic benchmarks, but hey, you've got something to compare to to make sure at least that side is working ok. A standard 6800GT clocked to 400/1100 will be slightly faster as my GT is flashed to Ultra memory timings and all (which are tighter and therefore slightly quicker on the GT bios) but the difference may not even be noticeable (same thing goes with the X800XL and the XT PE, id wager the XL has tighter memory timings, making it slightly quicker at the same speed).

Im also yet to see a 6800GT not clock to Ultra speeds straight out of the box and if not with a bit of a tweak. Also note the XT PE is overclocked to 560MHz core from the stock 520MHz when looking at the results. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    After reading this post up and down, I have a couple things I need you guys to read as well.

THE GAMES: Are not the reasons for our crappy performance.
    I was playing HL2, with decent settings on a Leadtek 6600gt 128mb AGP card and getting better framerates and less stutter than on this card, which, I might remind you, is "more powerful" than the 6600gt.
    Same goes for D3, etc.

THE HARDWARE: In our systems is NOT MALFUNCTIONING.. everyone here has tried messing with disabling drivers, running benchmarks.. basically wasting hours of what could be gaming time trying to sort out something that has nothing to do with any lack of power, speed or anything else.

So that said.. our systems work fine.. perform in 3dmark, and are stable. Our games are not the issue, and neither are our operating systems.
    Our drivers are updated, intact, and installed cleanly.

I don't beleive its us gentlemen.

There is clearly a loss of performance somewhere considering our specs are fairly similar. I mean hell, I've gone to get a new mobo, we've had guys buying more ram, upgrading PSU, changing this and that, and double cut beating the hell out of his system trying to provide us with benchmarks.

I think its safe to say we're all equally frustrated, annoyed, and have lost a lot of faith in ATI in particular. I know I have.

So where does that leave us? Well I dunno bout you guys, but this card is gettin sold as soon as I get back from holidays, and I'm gettin a GT as well.
    If that doesn't work, I'm done, through and finished.

I wanna extend my thanks to everyone that's helped and posted in this thread. We may not have solved the problem, but at least we have decifered that it really isn't us, and that in itself is comforting.

20. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah agreed with that. Scoob im definately in the same boat as you, but what im gonna do is either not do anything, or go for a whole new system. Im thinkin athlon 4000+, new mobo, 2 gigs ram, 7800 gtx etc etc. Spend perhaps about 1000 quid on an entirely new system. Then this 1 i can give to my wife. She hates computer games so she wont be dissapointed with it.

This problem has wared my through to the last of my patients..., so Im definately done trying to help this comp