x800 XL mediocre performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by soul8103, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Hey Double,

Can you give some benches with your card at x800xl speeds, and your cpu overclocked at 3.7? Curious...

2. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Sure man, lemme just log out of WoW and will be right back. :)

3. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Bit longer then I expected, apologies. :)

3.78GHz
    400/490
    Cat 5.8

3D Mark 2003: 11,341
    3D Mark 2005: 5,117
    3D Mark 2001 SE: 24,217
    Aquamark 3: 70,618
    CS:Source VST: 102.45 4x AA 8x AF 1280x1024

4. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    What are you talking about...that was quick! :)

2.8GHz
    400/490
    Cat 5.8

3D Mark 2003: 10,433
    3D Mark 2005: 4,899
    3D Mark 2001 SE: 19,576
    Aquamark 3: 59,055
    CS:Source VST: 99.26 4x AA 8x AF 1280x1024

3.78GHz
    400/490
    Cat 5.8

3D Mark 2003: 11,341
    3D Mark 2005: 5,117
    3D Mark 2001 SE: 24,217
    Aquamark 3: 70,618
    CS:Source VST: 102.45 4x AA 8x AF 1280x1024

Pumping up the cpu makes a good diff.

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Almost 9% increase in 3D Mark 2003
    About 4% increase in 3D Mark 2005
    Almost 24% increase in 3D Mark 2001 SE
    About 19% increase in Aquamark 3
    About 3% increase in CS:Source VST at those settings

Quite interesting to see how the increased cpu speed effects the cpu bound tests vs the gpu bound tests. Well, interesting to us anyway. ;)

6. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Heh yeah.., well those scores corrolate well with what we actually geti. I usually get 5100 in 3d05 with comp @ ----->.

Score doesnt seem to translate into performance though.

7. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    And thats exactly the issue I was having with my old setup, its a real mystery. :/

8. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    It does on mine. ;)

Whole thing is odd. Has to be a chipset issue with ATI cards. Trust me soul, ATI makes fast cards. Just one of those "WTF" things about pc's.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ well I've just had about enough WTF moments with this Sh_t.

I'm selling this ATI card and grabbing a 6800 ultra just to make myself feel better.

If that doesn't work, I'm selling my rig to the highest bidder. Period.

I've had enough. Can ya tell?

10. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I'm exhausted, both financially and physically, from running back and forth to the IT shop and buying stuff/experimenting with my rig etc...I have a problem that's almost identical to yours. I've tried everything short of ritual sacrifice, so I think I'll just call up a PC-repair service and have them take a look at it...strictly speaking, nothing is broken--but I'll have them sort out what is up with the discrepancy between very high (almost 6000) 3dMark scores and very low game scores. I try to solve my problems on my own, but this seems to be beyond my capacity.

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    seems to be beyond ours as well dude..

so that's 4 that we know of in this thread.. how many more are suffering out there with this problem that we don't even know of.. I bet some people are just accepting the fact that their performance is as it is, and they can't do anything about it.

This thread needs to see the eyes of someone at ATI or Intel to find out what's really going on.. we spend too much money on these companies and their products to be left in the dark.. for real.

12. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question...2, actually:

1. There is this high-pitch, high-frequency, rather quiet sound coming from my computer case--particularly from the PSU/graphics card/memory/chassis ventilator region..particularly when something CPU/RAM intensive is going on.. I was wondering if either my new PSU or my new RAM could be producing this? Also--the PSU is weird because it has a fan that is aimed INSIDE the case rather than outside--could this be the sound of air interacting with the other fans (like the chassis fan)

2. Does anyone with FarCry/Thief3/Morrowind have the patience to run a demo benchmark on a system similar to mine--at 1024x768 resolution...I'd like to see just how large the discrepancy between your FPS and my mysteriously-gimped FPS is. Any of the 3 games would be good...pretty please:)

13. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  14. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

Don't bother with upgrading your RAM to 2GB--that's what I've done this morning to address the same problem, and just ended up wasting a 150 bucks for 1-2 FPS improvement. As for Asus's priceless suggestions:

1. my ASUS PRobe shows a temperature of 60 Celsius inside the case (when playing a game)---I doubt heating is the problem.
    2. I tried about 10 different combinations of RAM and there wasn't much of an FPS difference--so I doubt it's an issue with faulty RAM or incompatability. How can I check this "latency" suggestion of theirs?
    3. I have a 500W PSU I purchased (once again) to fix this problem--it's connected to the card through a 4-pin connector (that's the only one required, right?)
    4. Grounding/EMI interference--do they think we play in the middle of a nuclear reactor or a television broadasting tower? Is there even any way to check this short of carrying your PC outside and playing on the grass?

For a bit of comical relief, though--I just played SWAT 4 with my 600-dollar-graphics-card and got 25 FPS on average, 1024x768, medium settings.

Maybe the question we should ask is not what is wrong--but rather why is it only wrong in games, not in 3dMark, for instance...after all, they use the same hardware as well as both using directx...Doesn't this suggest that what we are all encountering is a software issue of some sort, not a hardware one? AFter all, if the graphics card can render those fancy scenes in the 3dMark05 demos--it shows that the hardware is compatible, doesn't it?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  15. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

16. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I got my card about 4 months ago, but haven't been using it since I was on holidays/finals/travel and didn't notice the problems with it--meaning that returning it now would be practically impossible. I'm thinking--as the last resort--of purchasing a mobo with a different chipset...but I don't know whether I should do that, since there is no guarantee it would work. If any of you switch mobos to try and solve this problem--let me know how it turns out. I'm considering calling a pc-repairman to my house tommorrow, but I have a feeling that this problem is beyond his competence and he'll just shrug, fiddle around and charge me for 2 hours of "work"....do you guys think iti's worth it?

17. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

18. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Hmm well it seems no one can solve this puzzle. When i first posted never did i know how difficult solving this issue would be. Im still not convinced about the hardware 'not being up to the job', but rather just being a wrong combination. But the point about the benchmarks has really now just confused me even more. Could it be that the software is not developed to be compatible with our combination of harware......., surely not?

Before i upgrade or do anything though, I still want to know WHY**** it doesnt work. It just doesnt make any sence.

Ethically these manufacturers are dissgraceful, and can really take you for a spin. The money they make off us whilst the troubles we face really p*sses me off. I am angry at the industry as a whole, Customers should not be in our situation in the first place, unless we have all done something wrong installing the hardware ourselves...., which i doubt because if windows and all other media runs so well on my comp, why dont games... :S

19. manvsmonsters

manvsmonsters Member

GPU:
    a

20. Mr.Procrastinat

Mr.Procrastinat Member

I was just thinking--the only real difference between the 3dMark05 benchies and games is that there is sound in the latter and not in the former. I'm too busy to try it myself--but if you guys have time, you should disable/uninstall all your onboard/additional audio hardware and see how it goes. There may be some bizzarre conflict somewhere....of course, it wouldn't be a solution to our problem if this turns out to be teh cause--but at least it'd bring us comfort of knowing what's wrong.