x800 XL mediocre performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by soul8103, Aug 29, 2005.

1. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    *blushes*

Cheers man, I just like to call it how I see it, and tbh, im pretty pro AMD, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your stance ;)) the situation arose where I could get a P4 3GHz and motherboard ultra cheap, so I jumped at the upgrade from my Athlon XP 2400+ (which was starving my poor X800). The P4s while not really doing too well vs their AMD opposite numbers at stock, when you overclock these babies they fully fly with no issues. Was very surprised to see Aquamark (my fave overall benchy) scores in the mid to high 70k's, thats getting on at high end AMD performance. :)

Its just great to know that both sides (in the case of ATI and Nvidia) did exceptionally well purely from a hardware pov in the X vs 6 Series war. I think Nvidia had the major edge in marketting, but as we know, marketting is generally total bs. I dont think iv seen a more evenly matched generation of cards in all my days on the scene. Good competition makes the enthusiast gfx market great, fanboyism makes me wanna pull my own toes off. ;)

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    "fanboyism makes me wanna pull my own toes off. "

nyuck nycuk nyuck..

someone SIG THIS!

I hear that DC.. Gonna see just how far I can push this chip with my next board.. I'm being hopeful. :)

3. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Dunno what board your gonna get, but I seriously recommend you look at the Abit IC7-G or similar. That would give your 2.8GHz P4 (assuming its the 800MHz fsb version) of hitting 14x 250MHz gving you a cheeky 3.5GHz core speed and 1GHz fsb. Should make that X800 wail like a bitch. :)

Good luck man, Intel chips *can* be made to go fast, just takes a bit of patience and some decent support hardware. I moved up from a 865PE based board to this 875 based board and the difference in stable overclocking is markedly improved. Again, gl man. :)

4. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Sometimes being hopeful is a way of making some progress.

I think its amazing how technology only 1- 1 1/2 years old becomes so problamatic when wanting to be upgraded further down the line.... It jus shows how the technology moves at such a rate that keeping up is a hefty task.

If it is the mobo, its incredible to think that 1 piece of kit could improve your gaming framerates from 10-20 fps on low settings in some scenes to a steady 60 on full settings (ive noticed that this current issue doesnt matter how high/low the settings are, u still get the same capped performance in the same parts of games. If it is i may jus give it a go. Thats if i can get a decent mobo with 4 pci slots and 1 agp slot supporting the northwood 3.2 ghz pentium processors for under 100 quid,

5. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    3 PCI slots more like...

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well I'm back up and running.

Before even trying to play any games, I've tried just ocing to see how far I can get it.

3.2 is stable, but 3.3 can't even finish one pass through 3d05. Dunno what else I can do.. does anyone have a good OCing FAQ they could link me to? maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'm going to install some games now and see what happens.

7. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Have you tried nudging the voltage slightly? And make sure the PCI/AGP locks are in place at 33/66MHz, and your memory isnt being overclocked too far. If its 400MHz memory you have, setting the cpu fsb to 250MHz and using a ratio of 5:4 whould get your memory running at the standard 400MHz (200MHz non DDR).

If its the Northwood chip ur using, the voltage should be at 1.525v to the core, its quite safe to raise that to in excess of 1.625v so dont be afraid to have a little play with volts. Mine was only stable at 3.75GHz at 1.675 volts and had no issues. Try to not go above 1.7v though.

If you're on Prescott, try 1.425v from the stock 1.375v (iirc, its around there) and see waht happens.

The main things are as I said:

1) AGP/PCI locks set to 66/33
    2) FSB:Memory ratio set to 5:4 (if your going for the 1GHz FSB)
    3) Maybe a slight voltage nudge to 1.6v or slightly above

Will have a check for any oc guides I can find and post back, good luck. :)

8. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
  9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    That's much appreciated cuz I just got hit with a rather dissppointing blow.

I installed Half Life 2, and tested with that..

Tried several save games, and my average FPS with all settings on high, 1024 x 768 = in and around 50 FPS.. and its damn choppy.

So much for the new board. I almost feel like it's playing even worse.

not only that.. but whenever I try and change a 3D setting like mipmap performance, or vsync, my screen shuts off and won't turn back on and I have to reset.. Great.

I'm running 5.8s and got my cpu oced to 3.2. MY FSB is just over 900mhz.

This is really starting to jade me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  10. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Not the mobo..., maybe the processor

11. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    oh 1 questoin..., could it be something to do with the card actually being damaged or faulty.
    Jus curious......

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm starting to wonder the same thing myself..
    I just bought this card though like a couple months back.. brand new sealed off of ebay.

Mind you, I had a 6600gt before this, and performance was also crappy. I'm starting to think that its maybe AGP, but at the same time, it seems unlikely.

I'm truly starting to lose it though. You wanna go throw our machines out of an airplane soul?

13. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Hehe i was thinking putting it on the drive and letting my BMW M5 do the Fixing, mainly by running it over. Probably would work better after that....

It definately seems that we have the same problem. Jus strange chopiness in big scenes. The thing is my 9800 pro also did the same **** preformance in same scenes, so i dont think it is the card.
    At the time i put it down to a dated card....

Im thinking 3 things, CPU, summin to do with a conflict, with the onboard grafics that the ASUS P4P boards have (although u changed mobo and prob got worse). PPL have said its to do with needing a 1000 FSB., if u had even over 900 (clocked at --->) would it cap the performance to the extent that me and scoob are getting. Jus that few mghz. Seems odd that a piece of hardware that the manufacturers state is compatible with the specs we have, wouldnt actually work. We are not talking about a small performance drop, 10-20 FPS in outdoor environments in Vampire Bloodlines is jus plane Sh*tty lol... 3D mark seems to like our rigs too (5000 being totally respectable for our specs i believe)

14. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    oh thats 2 things lol

15. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Regarding the shutting off screen issues, try turning fastwrites off in SMARTGART settings in the ATI control panel, I know that causes issues at times.

Did you check the PCI, AGP and memory locks in your motherboard bios? Those are very very important for stable overclocking.

16. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    could be the hardware,try it in another pc if ya got a m8 with one,also in a amd64 if ya can and see if it is still poor.
    Otherwise run everything at defaults,cpu,gpu etc,see if it is still a problem.

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I did un oc my system.. I put it at 2.8 and turned on turbo memory acceleration.

Uninstalled cat 5.8 and installed newest Omega. Fastwrites Off.

Still same framerate in HL2, and choppy as hell now. Constantly stuttering running around corners.. pretty much not an enjoyable gaming experience at all.

This played better on my 6600gt. I dunno what else to think of.

I have no way unfortunately of testing the card out on a system better than the one I have.
    *sigh*

18. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Same..., lol no way im buying another rig lol.., money aint the issue but it jus seems like a waste to me. Dont know anyone with an amd based rig...

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    hmm well I know for a fact that Vamp bloodlines plays pretty badly on lots of systems.. just the game engine they used.. or didn't use more likely.
    As for choppyness, there is no real reason.. that I can think of. Everything is defragged, Antivirus disabled.. I doubt going over 1ghz in FSB would even solve this to be perfectly honest.
    And yet out benchmarks are decent..

mind you, when I first put this card in and hit up 3dmark, at STOCK I got over 5K. Now i'd have to oc my system AND the card to hit that.
    With my system @ 3.2 with 916mhz FSB, I hit a score of 4837. Could my card performance have deteriorated? and if so, could the same thing have happened to Soul?..

20. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    My card is Brand new. Not even off ebay or anything and its only 1 month old. If its deteriorated in that time id be seriously, seriously p*ssed lol...

I really dont think it is the card. And with the vamp game, i know that too, but 1 thing is this is on an 800 res with lowest setting and i still get those framerates, and in some parts it really is unplayable. Its the same with any game, i could turn it up really high, to really low and i still get the same chopiness in the same parts of the same games lmao (really sounding like a broken record).

Im still gonna try and find out how to dissable my onboard graffics (doesnt some up in deviace manager when ati is installed, but it does come as unknown if i take the card out and run the comp from onboard grafics). I'd jus like to see if this makes any diff. I thought about conflicts too but the only pci device i have is my audigy ls and i doubt there is any conflict there as the sound usually goes all choppi rather. I am totally totally mift lol.

1 other thing scoob, if our cards did deteriorate a lil, 4800 is still an ok acore and u should be able to run hl2 smooth from start to finish.