x800 XL mediocre performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by soul8103, Aug 29, 2005.

1. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    My current spec is ---->

I get around 5000 3dmarks in 2005 @ 1024x768 which i know is perfectly adequate for my card, however ingame performance seems capped.

Originally i thought it was jus a few scenes in certain games (namely hl2), but it seems in all games when i get into a huge environment they run at about 20fps. This includes tigerwoods 2005, hl2, far cry, vampire - bloodlines, Brothers in Arms, and even rollercoaster tycoon 3.
    I also thought this was a product of running all my games with AA and AF on, however even with those off and getting towards low detail, when i hit a large environment (or for example build a huge theme park in roller coaster tycoon), the performance drops dramatically. Now maybe this is the performance my mid/low range cpu should be spitting out, but i thought i should be able to run most games full detail at 60fps.

I have tried all the diff drivers, not overclocking, overclocking, and fast writes on/off (currently off).

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hi there..

I have to admit I feel your pain.

I have been having the same problems with my XL. Framerates not living up to what I would hope for.

What I've found is that out of all my hardware, my motherboard is the oldest part, and I think is the one culprit out of my system that needs to be replaced.

Try and figure out what part of your machine is the weakest link, and hopefully that will help you to diagnose the problem.

If all else fails, try a reinstall of windows, and see what happens..

I doubt that your CPU is the issue, cuz there are plently of people on here that have lesser systems than you do, and get better performance. With my 2.8, I get 5000 in 3dmark as well, soo..

3. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    yeah i was thinking perhaps it might be the mobo.., would that really cap the performance that much though. My ram is also unbranded so i though that might have added to the problems, however load times are pretty quick. The thing is im sure my 9800 pro was giving identical performance to this (maybe not so much in small environments where i can get up to 150 in hl2 max everything) in the same big environments.

Ive done a format (thought it might be old driver blues) but that doesnt seem to have solved any issues. Guess im gonna have to look for a new small mobo. Any suggestions for a small case (only 4 pci slots) 1 AGP slot

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    well before you go and buy one, maybe wait a bit. I should be getting my board in a couple days.. and once I do, I'll swap it out and give a reformat.

As soon as I get my machine back up again, and testing.. I'll let you know if it helped me at all.. Seeing as how our systems are fairly similar, it may be worth it to let me be the guinea pig :)

5. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    heh if u say so matey....., Yeah thatd be a lot of help though. We do have the same P4P mobo

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I will be ridding myself of this 865 chipset, and upgrading to 875 .. the p4c800-e deluxe.. but more just to get a brand new board, as this one I'm not so confident in anymore.

7. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Those pentiums aint cuttin' it. ;)

8. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Yes that is not good performance, ingame performance in those games should be a lot better,i can say as my x800xl is sweet in all games now.

9. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    Well actually i'm very happy with my x800xl, i get about 5800 3dmark05 points...

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Honestly, I don't beleive the processor is the issue at all..

I think its more a combination of CPU board, and memory, along with a good PSU.

Not that I'm any fanboy.. my next rig will be an AMD.

11. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yup..., i think an upgrade is definately the answer.

Big environments in most games are unplayable even on low settings (10-20fps). However i dont think i can be bothered upgrading again...., seems like a waste of money when i know in a year my card will be lacking again and that will need another upgrade. As a result the money towards that will be saved, and put towards an xbox 360/ PS3 (gonna wait for both to be released and make up my mind when they go down in price).
    Computer gaming is jus tooooo expensive, can be plagued by bugs, and requires too much effort. Since i dont play many games online as well i think ive given up on this industry

GL scoobs, will be interesting to see if that mobo upgrade makes a diff

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    u know, I don't blame ya soul..

when you stress for so long to try and get stuff to work, and there are so many things that can go belly up, it does get very frustrating..
    and our systems aren't even top of the line.. look at all the people with high end systems, that just paid 1000+ dollars for sli cards that don't work, etc.

I am interested though to see if swapping this board out will change things, after a fresh install. Mostly because if it doesn't, I'm pretty much hooped for any answers..

I mean, sh*t, my fps goes down to below 50 at 1024x786 settings on LOW, playing PARIAH or Unreal 2 single player!.. this is laughable.

13. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Thats the same as me...... lol

14. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I hear ya Scoob. There is something in what you say about the cpu/mem/mobo combo. Video cards/games seem to really like the design of the AMD64. Something about the mem controller on the cpu, the chipset...it just feeds games better. I'm not a fanboy either bud. But when I bought my first AMD64 chip, I havent looked back. Thats all I use on the pc's that I build for family and friends who love to game. Just something about the architecture that really feeds these high end cards. I mean, everyone has problem occasionally. But this thread is a majority of P4 users complaining about the performance. Could be a P4/ATI thing...I dont know.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    keep in mind though man, if it does turn out to be your mobo that's holding you back, you can contact asus and tell them that there is a problem with your board, and 9 times out of 10 they will replace it for you.. they stand behind their gear probably more than any other computer part manufacturer.

16. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah, but saying that its still a ball ache to sort it out that can be avoided by jus not computer gaming. Computers always produce better grafix then consoles, but the performance is jus not the same unless you have a really amazing computer.

I remember playing halo on xbox for the first time and loving the fact that i only had to press the button on the console to get it running. No install, No bugs, No updating drivers/upgrading or any of that malarchi. Im not bashing computer gaming now, i still think its sweet, but for me now im in a full time job that is nothing to do with computers,so i dont have the time and in depth knowledge to sort out or upgrade if needs be, and plus i barely play games, only really if i have absolutely nothing better to do or jus want some time to myself after a busy day of work.

Money is not an issue but it also seems a waste to spend thousands on something that is gonna need upgrading in 2 years max.

I have actually given up on computer games lol.., tis a sad day lmfao...

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    a sad day indeed..

honestly, I kinda agree with you. I have invested ALOT of time into making my system up to what I think it should be, and yet I've been dissappointed. I tell ya though, I'm reaching my wits end too.

I'm starting to give up on my current hardware.. I'm hoping it will last me though another couple months before I go away for a while.
    But all in all, I had so much fun playing UT online before.. there is just no comparison to a keyboard and a mouse.. I couldn't stand playing games like hl2, or doom on a console.. just feels wrong

. Man it is really hard to type somethin like this out when you're totally smashed :cool:

18. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Hah yeah. Thats why i said computer gamin is still sweet. FPS are still awesome on PC, and with games like FEAR coming out its definately good to have a high end comp......

19. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Tbh, I thought it was a P4/ATI issue and had very similar complaints about the performance of my XT PE on my P4c 3GHz. It was doing pretty well in benchmarks, but in games, my 6800GT @ Ultra ate it for breakfast in terms of consistency (which is my main concern).

Now i can clock either my Northwood or Prescott to 3.75GHz (ish) and it has REALLY opened the X800XT PE up big time. It has always done better in benchmarks when overclocked then the 6800GT (and so it should being the tier or two above the GT), but now that extra performance is being seen in games. I would wager its partly to do with two things:

1) A 1GHz+ fsb seems to get on very well with the X800 series.
    2) Where the XT PE was seemingly dropping frames before, perhaps the extra speed of the cpu has made those fps "troughs" less harsh in comparison to average and peak framerates.

With my CPU(s) at stock speeds there was no real doubt that the 6800GT (at Ultra of course) was the better card for gaming, and the added bonus of SM3 and Far Cry HDR support was just the icing on the cake, alongside Digital Vibrance and High Quality mode. Now the choice is much tougher as both offer simply amazing gaming performance at my maximum res of 1280x1024, both with very consistent framerates. Perhaps its just a matter of keeping the X800 well fed, as it did seem to choke a little more then the 6800 (still does at times, i think thst just one of the differences between the cards though) but whatever it is, having a P4 with a 1GHz fsb made a huge difference to my gaming experience of the X800XT PE, it may be the same for others too.

Dont give up on the ATI/Intel combo, it does seem a bit poxy at first, but a bit of time invested and some messing about and it can truly fly. :)

20. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Double,

You always have rational, and good thoughts on the boards. Always a pleasure reading your posts bud.

Slam