X800 Pro Mod To XT

Discussion in 'Links' started by BLyarx, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    X800XT Q

Hi
    I have some quastions
    for u SL2 and WildStyle.

Is my CPU, (which is 3200+/2200Mhz/Barton/512L2/200fsb/),
    bottlenecks my X800XT PE 256MB?
    I have 2x256DualChannel 3200 Ram.

And why i get artifacts and snow at freq. like 520/520, i just cant find out why, cuz most of the people who has flashed their cards to Xt, easyly hits at least 520/550 without probs.?

Give me clues!

2. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    forgot

I just wanna tell ya, that i dont go over 75C max temps, and some say that, such temps are not so high.
    I would say that i never actully go over 70C, but let say 75C for example.

Poeple with 80C hits like 520-540core/550-600mem

As i told u, my VC is Sapphire X800Pro@XT PE vivo, and everything
    which is needable to be moded!

I cant understand why is this happaning to me?

3. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Re: forgot

Every AMD XP CPU is a bottle neck for this card, lol. Don't let it bother you too much, just means if you get a shiny AMD64 or a really high end P4 [3.6Ghz, ect] you'll notice much larger jumps in performance.

If you're getting 'snow' type aftifacts then I'd suggest purchasing some BGA ramsinks [OCZ copper ones would do niceley] and possibly purchase the new VGA Silencer HSF to keep your GPU nice and cool [Hot air from the fan is probably what's causing your RAM to overheat]. That and generally improve your airflow ect.
    Could just be that your card wont overclock as high as other peoples, not everyone's a winner I'm afraid. However, a 16 pipe card for the cost of a 12 pipe is a bargin anyway, so you should still be satisfied. ;)

I have a Suttle XPC with a TV card in my PCI slot so it's pretty compact in there. So I don't like to let my card get over 75C as well.
    Over 75C is fine for some people and I think ATi said themselves that it's perfectly fine to let them hit up to 80C before temps become a concern.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  4. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    overclock. better freq.

First, i wanna thank you for ur complete answer.

I'm afraid that such things like, "VGA Silencer HSF", and
    BGA ramsinks, cant be found where i live.
    I'll ask them on mondey, can they supply me with one of those, but if i couldnt find one, could u tell me different models, that will help me to keep my card cooled and straight?

For example, TermalTake GIANT 3,and TermalTake copper RAM sinks, will they do the job?

Any other suggestions?

Thanx a lot m8!

5. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Re: overclock. better freq.

Arctic Cooling Rev. 4 VGA Silencer
    http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=603515

You'll probably only be able to get them from online sites like that one. I would not recommend the Thermaltake GIANT 3 for two reasons; One, I'm not sure if it will fit the X800 series and two, I don't think it's up to the job of cooling it much better than the standard HSF.

The Thermaltake copper ramsinks you mentioned will be for TSOP [rectangular] type ram. They can still fit onto BGA [square] ram modules but you will need to make sure that they don't bridge any other components on the PCB [I'd using some Coolermaster aluminium TSOP type sinks and it's fine].
    What I did was to doubled them up together so each rear BGA ram module had two heatsinks attached to them. 2x rectangle heatsinks make a large square heatsink. Much better for heat dissipation. :)
    You will need 8x TSOP ramsinks for the rear and 4x TSOP for the front [Standard 'Pro' cooler blocks the ram modules slightly so you can only fit one heatsink per module. You may find that the top corner one will need to be positioned at a 45 degree angle to fit next to the HSF].
    I should note that you wont need any heatsinks for the front if you purchase a VGA Silencer Rev. 4 as it comes with a plate that covers the ram modules on that side.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  6. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    cooler

Ok so i think i'll be able to purchase The Silenser and the Coolermaster RAMsinks, but i have a quastion.

Is it better to put a watercool on the card?
    And what type do u suggest?
    Can u give me links to buy em online or tell me the names?

Thank u very much, u are helping me so...

7. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Re: cooler

I don't know of any water cooling blocks that would fit the X800, you'd have to wait for other people to answer that question or create a new thread in the Overclocking/Modding forum.
    Water cooling would give you much better cooling results, but if your not very up together with the subject, I'd pass on it.

As for RAM sinks, I'd stick with the Thermaltake ones because they are of a higher quality and are a better design [Plus they're copper]. I'm only using coolermaster one's atm because that was all I could get hold of on short notice.

8. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    re

10x m8.

9. Xv-Le-vX

Xv-Le-vX Member

GPU:
    eVGA E-Geforce 6800GT + NV Silenver 5
    Does anyone have better pictures of the penciling? like where to actually pencil on the pcb board? A before and after picture which clearly shows the after penciling. Thanks!

10. Spike1977

Spike1977 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon X800 XTPE 256MB VIVO Artic Cooling Rev4
    With the Arctic Cooling Rev. 4 VGA Silencer, you will not need ramsink's, as the silence fit's over the ram and takes the heat away from them as well.

I brought ramsinks at the same time and then found that I had just brought them for no reason!

I am running my X800Pro, now as a fully 16 Pipe X800 XT PE, Core 520, Mem 520 (1120 DDR).

Sweet results as well.

Spike:cool:

11. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Follow their 9800XT guide:
    http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=760&s=1

Exactly the same basic principles as the X800 volt mod.

I wasn't aware that the Rev. 4 came with a back plate for the rear RAM modules. Fair enough.

12. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    rev.4

10x guys.

i'l check it out.

13. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    watercool.

what ca u tell me about the Cool-Matic X800 Cooler?

Is it good?

it costs 150$

14. Xv-Le-vX

Xv-Le-vX Member

GPU:
    so do i just pencil in one pin to another? or the entire resistor itself? and does it matter where on the pcb board i pencil it in? like on the white box around the resistor or inbetween it?

15. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    You pencil along the side of the resistor, bridinging the contact points. This lowers the resistance which increases the voltage being allowed to pass through.

Pencil in the same place as they did to be sure. Be careful not to knock/shake/wipe the pencil graphite off or you'll loose you voltmod.
    Pencil on the PCB/along side of restistor rather than ontop of the resistor.

16. Xv-Le-vX

Xv-Le-vX Member

GPU:
    thanks sl2

17. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    so exactly what does Vivo mean i'm so confused. It just that your card supports video in and video out? or is it much more complicated.....

18. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Yep, Video In Video Out.
    That means that is has a rage theater chip [See rear side of card] and there's a very, very good chance that you can flash it to a different BIOS to unlock the 4 softlocked pixel pipelines. Some OEM's were lazy/rushed so you may even get 1.6ns ram [as opposed to 2.0ns] so can OC the ram much further.

19. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
  20. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'll edit it into the first post too, so that it's easier to find.
    Thanks UZ7. :)