X79 Build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by M3Tz, Jan 23, 2012.

1. M3Tz

M3Tz Member

GPU:
    Palit nvidia 9800 GT
    Hi Guys,

About to order some parts to build a x79 system, I use it for gaming plus virtual machines/testing for work plus the usual media stuff, I would go for a 2600k but I don't think I'm going to be able to upgrade for the next 2 years (wedding) so would like to get as good as I can. Oh and I'd like it to look pretty cool as I've never had a "nice looking" Pc
    I have little O/C experience and would like to give it a try, what do you guys think of the intel tuning warranty?

this is what I'm thinking of,

cpu 3930k + h100

mobo either Asus Rampage IV Formula Asus P9X79 PRO Gigabyte X79-UD7 Gigabyte X79-UD5

Ram Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) red or black depending on board I'l up the memory next month

PSU Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular mostly because of the 7 year warranty

Case 600t

Any suggestions tips or comments please

P.S I seen the video on youtube of the gigabyte overheating and I think I read somewhere that its because of the h100 not blowing air over the socket and power, do these board also suffer the same?

Thanks

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I have a system similar to what you want to make.
    It's been good so far.

Only issue is a periodic TDR, but that's an nvidia driver bug since 275.XX.

-scheherazade

3. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    The components you listed look solid. I would pick the Asus board over the Gigabyte board.
    Not sure about the Intel warranty - if you plan some hard core OC'ing than there might be value in it.

Also, you didn't mention video card or HD - do you have one picked out? If not the AMD 7970 looks like the best choice right now and I would be sure to get a good SSD - Corsair, Kingston Hyper-X are good.

4. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    i think you might need 4 sticks of ram to run X79..

5. M3Tz

M3Tz Member

GPU:
    Palit nvidia 9800 GT
    Thanks for the reply guys,

I have a crappy 9800gtx+ right now, but I need to buy in 3 orders, so I'll buy cpu/mem/mobo + case and maybe psu now and use the only bits from my current pc, then order ssd, hd, monitor, then gpu final month :)

6. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    4 sticks is ideal as that would put you in Quad Channel mode, but you can run it on one or two if needed.

Since this is a new build, he might as well get at least four x 4GB and than he is good for awhile, plus will still have four more open slots for the future.

7. M3Tz

M3Tz Member

GPU:
    Palit nvidia 9800 GT
    I'm thinking of this board
    Asus Rampage IV Formula

Due to budget I was thinking of buying 2x4GB stick for now and another 2x4GB next month.

the rampage formula has a decent onboard i think which is sounding good to me.

8. M3Tz

M3Tz Member

GPU:
    Palit nvidia 9800 GT
    so its looking more like

Asus Rampage IV Formula
    phantek cooler
    xfx 850 xxx
    kingston hyperx 2x4GB
    600t white

9. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    I would strongly suggest getting four ram chips to start with. In order to ensure the system is as stable as possible in Quad Channel, you want all four chips to be identical. If it is a cost concern, than you would be better off getting four 2GB chips to start with.

You would still have four slots left open since the board you are getting has 8 slots, so you could always add four more later if you felt the need.

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    if you want quad channel

11. M3Tz

M3Tz Member

GPU:
    Palit nvidia 9800 GT
    the Asus Rampage IV Formula only has 4 slots, but I understand what your saying about buying 4 sticks together..

Thanks everyone for your help