X6 1090t at 4.5 Ghz ...safe ?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Garaa, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Garaa

Garaa Active Member

GPU:
    AsusDKTOP4870 @ 815/1100
    Hey guys,

So instead of upgrading to Bulldozer, I picked up a 1090T at a very cheap price and boy can I say this is a major upgrade from a 1st generation Phenom 9850. I started overclocking away when I configured everything.

The temps are very low since am running an Antec kuhler 920 with high CFM fans. So cooling-wise its good and at 4.4 ghz under prime it hits a load of 40 degrees. However to reach 4.5 ghz I had to drop the NB multiplier to 9 and bump the voltage up to 1.55. Now, I now that's dangerous cause its rated to run at the max voltage but under stress it hit 1.66volts on the core based on CPU-Z. I didnt modify any other voltages. I ran prime for 4 hours before getting a BSOD. Does anyone think its safe to run it at that voltage, cause I have feeling I got a golden chip that clocks higher. Anyhow, any feedback will be much appreciated thanks a bunch.

[​IMG]

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    if you want that cpu to last longer than a year, id keep it under 1.5v

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    are those temps correct?^^^

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    probably not. amd has that temp descrepency where its like 5c-10c lower than what the actual temps really are. maybe if the ambient temps are good. idk, that cooler isnt actually a slouch either. with the right fans, its possible.

but no way in hell i would ever take it over 1.5v. unless i was doing suicide runs with LN2. even then, 24/7 use is a no no.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Up to 1.55 is safe for 24/7. Anything over that, well....You're entering strange territory. It might destroy your chip, it might not.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    hmm. official volts on amd spec sheet say 1.5v max.

@op

i just noticed you have your base clock and milti oc'd, why? i wouldnt even touch the base clock because it throws everything else off. just oc through the multiplier and raise volts accordingly. run prime until your stable. once your stable, start oc'ing your nb if you like.

7. Garaa

Garaa Active Member

GPU:
    AsusDKTOP4870 @ 815/1100
    Well for starters those are the real temps, I should have screen-shotted the AMD overdrive temps as well. I also got everest, there is 2-3 degrees difference between them. The cooler itself is not a slouch. IF you sand the copper base on the waterblock it becomes something else, you manage squeeze out around 5-7degrees delta temps-wise. Plus, its mounted with two sythe fans with up to 2500rpm, quiet noisy but they get the job done very well. So under 100% prime load it hits a max of 36-40~ish. Ambient temps are 18-20 degrees C.

I have been running it at 1.6v at 4.491ghz and its stable this far. Am actually typing this after doing the prime/queen/sandra tests for 7 hours, I'll post the screens asap. As for multiplier + base clock OC, I wanted to approach it from an unorthodox overclocking point of view. With a multiplier OC, I was able to get it to 21x200 = 4.2ghz stable at 1.5 volts, but under load the cpu would use more voltage and jump up to around 1.56-1.6 based on cpu-z. So to get to 4.5 I started overclocking the base clock and lowered the NB multiplier to 9 versus 10 to give it some stability, I also reduced the memory from 1600 to 1333 just incase. So, so far 1.6volts at 4.491ghz is stable but am not running this 24/7, I just wanted to see how far this chip will go.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    well it seems you got a pretty decent chip. :nerd:

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    It must be very cold in the room with ambient temps that low!

10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    do you have software that will read the die sensor instead of the socket temp? you need to watch your temps accurately at such insane voltage

nice frequency @1.5v, 4.2ghz is very good

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's always nice to get a golden chip, like my 955 C2 that can run 8gb of 1600 ram with no NB voltage adjustment at all, and can do 3.8 at 1.45 (With 8gb ram installed too).

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI

are you reading from the core temps or the cpu temp sensor on the motherboard? when i had my 1090t, it was showing the incorrect temps in amd overdrive as well. its a bug with the sensor on the chip, not a bug with the software. your actual temps are 8-12C higher than what every program will report the core temps as (even your bios will report the core temps incorrectly). ie. your actual CPU temp is reported by your TMPIN1/TMPIN2 sensor (motherboard's cpu temp sensor) which is 27/29C at idle according to your hwmonitor.

if your ambient temp is 20C, theres no logical reason your chip can hit the 15C minimum that hwmonitor is showing. even if youre using watercooling, the radiator is still cooled using fans blowing air at room temperature, so it wont drop below room temperature unless youre using a refridgerant based setup.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-ii-x6-1090t_10.html the bug is mentioned here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  13. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    im struggling to belive those temps at 4.5ghz.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    unless hes in an igloo :p

tbh the only way to get anything semi acurate dealing with temps, is to cut a notch in the heat spreader just deep enough to clear a heatsink base and put a temp probe in there. even then it stll wont be accurate, but itll be closer than what any program can read.

ive thought about doing that. just to see how much of a difference it is.