1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X58 Xeon Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by grunger, Nov 17, 2014.

1. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Having looked at the options
    4790K + Z97 - Not really enough performance to warrant the money
    or
    X99 platform - Too much money currently.

I've decided to squeeze a bit more out of my current (4 year old) rig.

I was planning on dropping a Hex-core Xeon 5670 (£100ish), hopefully getting that somewhere near 4Ghz in and swapping my 660Ti for a GTX970.

Has anyone tried the Xeons on a P6T (Standard, not SE or Deluxe)

I've got a H100 closed loop cooler at the moment.

What do you think of this plan?

Hopefully that will last another 18months or so, and give DDR4 prices a chance to drop, and the X99 platform to get a bit more affordable.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    From the Haswell-E thread regarding X58 upgrades:

Thought about it, but haven't ever bought preused hardware, and can't get any new ones where I am I think.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I had the same P6T board before upgrading to my current hardware. I thought about putting a Xeon CPU in there but the prices of them at the time didn't make sense. Since I could re-use my RAM I just bought the 4770K and new mobo for a little more money than the Xeon would have cost me used. It was an overall good upgrade for me.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Like i said in another thread today its a good upgrade if you want a fast powerful cpu to use with x58 while being relatively cheap.

You could have got the same cpu for half that price around 6 months ago when i first mentioned these cpu's going cheap. Now though everyone has caught on and prices have gone up. Still a cheap upgrade for a 6 core.

5. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Yeah - I hadn't really thought about it,
    You can grab 5650 (2.6Ghz) for about £50, but the higher multi on the 5670 looks quite tempting....

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah its a nice upgrade if you want bang for buck.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    You can get some cheap 1366 xeon's on ebay pretty cheap.

I rebuilt my Mac Pro with a pair of W3680's I got off ebay for $160. For 12 cores 24 threads, that's a very reasonable price.

The quad HT Xeons are even cheaper on Ebay.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Do those Xeons have that much of improved performance over the i7's due to their architecture? Sure, 6 cores put out more raw performance than 4 cores, but does it help in games compared to their lower clocks?
    I checked out of curiosity, but I have a hard time to find any in Austria or Germany, gotta do a proper research on the international side if I'd really go for it.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive heard of people running the 5670s at 4.4ght HT enabled.

10. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Depends on which series you get.

Any of the 6 core Xeon's have more cache than the i7 950. The Westmere-EP Xeon's have some quads with 12mb of l3 cache versus the 8mb found in the 950.

Overall though no, they are just higher binned cores. If you are going to see any performance difference, it's completely core, count, and clocked frequency based just like it would be moving from one core series to the next. They are great for overclocking as well.

Also I don't even come close to the usage of all my cores in my Mac Pro. But as an upgrade coming from a 5800k APU, the Mac Pro I bought barebones that just needed the cpu, ram, hard drive, and a video card for just about $700. That's just about what I put in my APU system and I'm getting amazing performance.

Don't count the lga 1366 platform out yet. :D

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Still running a W3680 (980X). Multi is unlocked. OCs to about 4.2 with my current cooling HT on, 4.5 off. Marvelous chip.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    LN2? This thing is specified at less than 3GHz. Or are they such great overclockers?
    I could order one for 150€ / 120$ with free shipping, although it's a refurbished one from a server...

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They're 32 nm chips. Mine has a stock clock of 3.33 (or 3.46 depening on whether you account for turbo), but I have the unlocked multi, making that a lot easier. Most X58 compatible Xeons do have unlocked multis IIRC, though given the (significant) overhead in the BLCK, hitting 4 GHz shouldn't be an issue. My chip runs cool, 4 GHz needs just over 1.2 V, averages 45 under load, 55 under P95.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    They are super high binned cores, they OC amazing.

Just ebay up lga 1366 Xeon and see what you find. Doesn't matter that they're refurbs, chances are they didn't run their full cycles all the time coming from servers.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    What does your W3680 clock to?

16. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    3.6 turbo is the highest it can go.

Sadly there isn't any room for overclocking on the Mac Pro unless I do a pencil v-mod...=\

Performance is still amazing though.

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is why I haven't upgraded yet, quad-core performance and OC headroom just aren't good enough. Did try X79 for a while but that caused no end of issues due to crappy Gigabyte BIOSes.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    I came from a 5800k APU which really the only thing that system had over this was sata 3. Even still, I have seen performance gains in every game and app I run that is hardware sensitive. To solve the sata 2 dilemma, I plan on grabbing a PCIE SSD. Mac Os X loves those. :D

I'm held back on overclocking due to the ECC Fully Buffered ram on my end.

19. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti SLI
    Just did this X58/I7 950 @ 4.0GHz to Z97/I7 4790k. The difference is like night and day.

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is very tempting, I've got 3 spare PCIe slots I'm not using... :p