X58 True 6gb/s?? Slow speeds

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Magickiller888, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Magickiller888

Magickiller888 New Member

GPU:
    Evga Gtx 480
    Hey guys i recently purchased a Ocz Vertex 3 Max Iops. My motherboard is a Gigabyte X58a-Ud3r. I freshly installed windows and installed hd tune. The ssd is rated for 550mb/s and i only get 270mb/s. The drive is plugged into the 6gb/s port.

I did a tiny bit of research and it says that x58's have this chip called marvell 9128. Does this chip limit my speeds?

Should i upgrade to sandy bridge or should i get a 6gb/s controller? Is there any cheap controller that can fully utilize the full potential of the ssd?

Thanks for reading!

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    you'd need a native sata3 port to get the best out of a sata3 ssd. the marvell sata3 controller on your board bottlenecks SSDs too much. not recommended to use them for anything more than conventional hard drives.

sandy bridge is the most cost effective option. sandy bridge-E is pricier.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Someone once told me you'd be better plugging the SSD into the southbridge SATA2 ports, it'll perform better apparently, even if maxing out the ~300 MB/s, it's still apparently faster than the SATA3 add-in chips, which are connected to one of the PCIe lanes on the southbridge/northbridge IIRC.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep, the overhead on PCIe kills the performance...

5. Magickiller888

Magickiller888 New Member

GPU:
    Evga Gtx 480
    Should i buy a 6gb/s controller or buy a whole new platform??

Thanks,

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You won't get much better results from a PCIe based SATA3 controller either as it's still subject to the same overhead as the Marvell 9128 chip is. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend a platform change just to get native SATA3...the performance difference between SATA2 and SATA3 doesn't justify $400-$600 in upgrade expenses....

7. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    WRONG!

You will get better performance on a PCIe 4x oder 8x SATA controller. You will get the same performance if you use a PCIe 1x SATA controller.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Most people aren't willing to pay $350+ for a harddrive controller.... The areca ARC-1213-4I retails for $420USD.... LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i retails for $380USD... So, unless you want to use a Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL (which is still $170USD)...the price of a PCIe x8 SATA3 card is still hard to justify.

9. knivestv

knivestv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I just built one of these for my mate after his PSU xploded on his old rig. He has the same board, and it reads at 440MB/s

I installed the latest version of Intel Rapid storage technology (10.8.0.1003), the latest SSD firmware (v2.15) and, importantly (but often overlooked) got some decent SATA cables for strong signal, efficient data flow and less emi issues with high impedance insulation.

The cable was £2.48, and it was worth it.

EDIT: almost forgot, the latest INF install as well version 9.2.0.1030

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011