x58 -> legacy pci express endpoint

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by boombastik, Jun 13, 2016.

1. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    Hallo i have a gigabyte x58 ud5 and a maxwell card gtx 950.
    when use the program hardwareinfo 64 i take this:

[​IMG]

the problem is that in x58 platfrom all legacy pci express endpoints, their interrupts must be routed with the help of ich10r
    Can anyone with x58 chipset tell me if he has legacy pci express endpoint?

With the fermi card i have there native pci express endpoint.

2. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    My mobo is x58-based (BloodRage GTi), paired with a GTX 980Ti and HWiNFO do report the same status, as in your case.
    I don't know if it is related, but in Device Manager the PCIe Root Complex shows the following information:

[​IMG]

3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
  4. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    this is very bad for frametimes because in x58 pdf says that legacy interrupts routed in southbridge.

i enabled msi-x interrupts but it is the same..

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my X58 says same thing for pci express root complex

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've run X58 Asus P6T SE or UD3R and few others with EVGA GTX Titan X or GTX 980Ti/970 and R9 390X/R9 290 without the single issue and I've never have any problems in any game what I've run

I've posted few results over here,I've compared my old X5670 OC to 4.2GHz and i7-4790k OC to 4.6GHz

I would try to OC CPU at at least if you don't have any kind of the bottlenecking

Over on Overclock.net there is thread where I think Kanu-maru test his Fury X with X5650 too and he doesn't have any bottlenecking there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My X99 says the same thing. So it's pretty safe to assume that it says this everywhere and it's nothing.

8. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    x77 here, same thing. I don't think that this is causing whatever problem you might be having.

9. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    thnks you but while i search for this i enabled msi interuppts on my nvidia and now the isr is near zero (latencymon)
    Before i had directx spikes in isr.
    I format my system before 2 days. The only change i make was the msi enable interrupt for gtx950.
    So in x58 platfrom i am sure u must enable msi interupts huge diference because if u use legacy irql for example 17 the x58 chipset make the intterupt with the ich10r witch uses it to translate it and this is a lot of time. The x58 chipset bypass the ich10r only if the the interupt is msi form

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Been change my GPU to MSI mode for years now, I cant say i see difference performance wise vs IRQ mode, but I never liked the idea the IRQ for the GPU was always shared with the usb hub, pci-e hub and realtek hd audio or any thing else for that mater.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016

11. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I've said this in the past but I would caution against changing it without any obvious reason or benefit. Nvidia drivers default to that mode for a reason, whether it be performance or otherwise this is a fact. I realize that Nvidia cannot possibly be aware of every possible combination of system devices or what gets shared on IRQ ports so if there really is high contention then maybe further investigation is warranted in such circumstances. But it stands to reason that if there was magically more performance or better consistency with frame times then don't you think Nvidia would've already switched to using MSI mode long ago? Another thing to keep in mind is that for the purposes of the hardware IRQ vs MSI doesn't make much of a difference for PCI-E. PCI-E hardware only supports one style of interrupts in any case (MSI mode style).

However I've yet to see any actual evidence to back up these claims whenever IRQ/MSI mode is brought up. No DPC latency is not valid evidence. You're not ever playing DPC latency, you're playing actual games. Frame times/latency, either through FRAPS or some other software (or built-in), would be a much more meaningful comparison.

12. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    This is wrong. It can use legacy ones. GeForce cards have the hardware capability, but continue to use legacy interrupts.

And second one is that i speak for x58 chipset and it has a special limitation.
    It cant route non msi interupts without ich10r and this is huge delay.

In your system it will be the same.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Easiest way to check is in Device Manager. If the IRQ reported is a negative number, then the system is using MSI Interrupts.

14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    i checked my desktop and laptop that have x58 not seeing legacy pci express on them but running windows 7 are you running windows 8-10?

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I'm running Win10

16. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Not sure if this will help you guys, but it helped me with DPC latency when I updated my Intel Chipset drivers.

http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html

You can also use Snappy Driver Installer to update other system devices which is a huge help with latency. SDI doesn't always have the absolute LATEST drivers though, it might lag behind by a few weeks.

You can manually update your AHCI and USB drivers if SDI doesn't find the latest. http://www.win-raid.com/f25-General-Storage-Drivers-AHCI-RAID-NVMe-and-USB.html

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    btw hwinfo says this for my card
    Device/Port Type: PCI Express Endpoint

18. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    If you're on Windows 10 you shouldn't need AHCI or USB drivers AFAIK. Windows provides a generic driver and both AHCI and USB (3.0) where both will use MSI mode if that's of any interest to anyone. For AHCI at least this is a change from previous Windows versions where I believe it would use the older form of interrupts.

If you don't have a RAID setup then there's really no reason to use Intel's RAID drivers in the first place. Just set it to use AHCI and let the generic Windows driver do its thing. I can't comment on NVMe, maybe that does need drivers to function even on Windows 10.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    http://www.intel.co.za/content/dam/...hite-papers/msg-signaled-interrupts-paper.pdf

20. pittiez

pittiez Guest

GPU:
    680x2
    what you guys using to switch to msi? i have MSI_util.exe and MSI_mode_utils.ps1

wondering if there is other tools around (for archiving purposes)

im on x58 (evga) and been using hpet and msi for a while and i get great performance, BUT i always forget to re-enable msi for my GPUs after i reinstall drivers

how u know ich10 has to route the irq interrupts but MSI bypasses it?, never seen any info on this.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016