X570 issues installing windows 10 on RAID-0 NVME

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by tived, Jun 6, 2020.

1. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Gals and Gals,

I am having an issue installing windows 10 on a RAID-0

system
    MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
    Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua D-15
    2x32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200
    1x Seagate 520 1tb gen4 NVME
    2x Corsair MP600 2tb gen4 NVME
    MSI XPANDER NVME card (holds 2 NVME)
    ASUS RTX-2070 super

I would like to setup Windows 10 on the two MP600 in RAID-0, but I am struggling and need help

I have set the bios up for RAID, UFEI I removed the Seagate to avoid conflict and because I accidentally initialised it [​IMG]

the Bios sees a 3.9tb raid from the two MP600 in the RAIDXPERT2 module under Advance. I don’t see any reference to it anywhere else in the BIOS, it doesn’t show up in the boot sequence ( I am used to traditional raid controllers LSI/ARECA) where you can see them load.

when I boot into the windows setup (USB key) I see two disks 1.8tb and not the RAID-0

I have tried to load the three AMD RAID DRIVERS but they don’t seem to make any difference

any ideas or should I raise the white flag give up and be happy with a single disk for boot disk?

really appreciate your help

thanks

henrik

my previous system was an EVGA SR-2 (2010) 5650x 48gb ram 20xSSD looking for a new home

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Sounds like your almost there, this what works for me. Although I only Raid 0 SSD/HDD on boot and not 2 NVME.

You have the raid recognized. Under advanced ,Windows OS configuration make sure UFEI is selected.(I should say Windows 10 WHQL Support enabled first but you have raidxpert set up already)
    Reboot ,hit F11 for boot sequence and boot from windows manger. Then you should be able to install from USB stick and it may ask for the raid drivers on your USB stick, which I assume you have the drivers on it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Isn't there some additional text window at boot time with some shortcut to configure RAID?
    Mine is <CTRL>+<R>.

Then I would unpack just 1,71MB driver from here into USB, you try to use for installation.

But to be honest, there is no good reason to have windows on NVMe RAID, you intend to use for data. Windows is waste of space for such drives no matter how much space you have.
    There are no additional benefits for OS after having good SSD. OS does not really touch drive much. And all data you intend to manipulate will have own drive.

I never have anything of importance on OS SSD. If you do have it separated, then you never run into situation where you have prolonged downtime in case of OS troubles and need for reinstall.

tived likes this.
  4. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Hi Fox2232,

that is a very good point, not having any data on the boot drive, usually I don’t. I guess I am just curious as to how it would respond.

I do have a Seagate 520 1tb which I originally had intended for boot disk. Which by the way is very fast, twice as fast as my old boot array 8xSamsung 840pro.

the excitement of a new system and wanting to see how fast it can go ( luckily i am not into cars or powerboats )

thanks for reminding me, with a sanity check

henrik

Fox2232 likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    raid0 nvme is pointless for usage as a boot device.

in fact, its not even worth using an nvme for a boot device at all.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Looks over at her Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 500GB boot drive, shrugs, and goes back to ignoring Astyanax.

It worked very well in my laptop, and now it works well in my desktop. Tho I do agree that RAID0 NVMe drives is only useful in workstation situations, and not boot drives.

AsiJu, 386SX, tived and 1 other person like this.
  7. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Chastity,

you just made my day ;-) thanks

Henrik

Chastity likes this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    *slams the side panel*

CASE CLOSED! :p

tived and AsiJu like this.
  9. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    NVME over Sata for a boot drive is good if you have the money for it, but no there's not too much difference between that and sata for gaming.
    NVME RAID 0 may introduce more cpu overhead / latency than just plain NVME. So unless you copy files all day long, just put Windows on one, and games on the other, or just use one to 'extend my c: drive' if that's easier for you. IOPS mean more than sequential numbers when looking at day to day performance of almost anything. IOPS is what helps when loading a bunch of files, reading/writing, viewing folders in Windows, or doing most any other thing like game loading. It's actually rare that a game hits your sequential read speed to it's fullest for anything.
    Your computer, your choice. If it's difficult to get the TEXT MODE driver to work (is it still called that?) for Windows installation, save yourself the 'sequential' headaches if you ever need to reinstall and just put it on one of the drives, using your other drive for 'whatever you want'. Having two separate drives can be useful if loading a game from one, and streaming from the other.
    Keep in mind, if you have one drive connected through the chip set lanes (pci-e 4.0 x4 chip set link), and one drive connected to the cpu directly (top slot, pci-e x4 direct to cpu), you'd just end up with your latency killing any benefit when used in Raid 0. Basically, it's adding more hurdles, the same hurdles NVME is meant to remove.
    One is plenty fast unless you're a budding Youtube star and you daily edit 4k video in Adobe all day.

Enjoy your Ryzen 3xxx / x570 / 2070 Super setup, I have that config here, it's lovely.

tived likes this.
  10. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Thanks Bob,

I ran some tests on single drive and RAID-0 granted I was using a 1x Seagate 520 1Tb vs 2x Corsair MP600 2Tb for the raid

I’ll see if I can upload the images of the benchmark scores, but the return on investment doesn’t grant the RAID-0 setup. It’s better used for fast storage.

so to clarify I have been out of the game for a while but used to build panoramic images into the gigabyte size. Previous setup was 8 and 12 SSD setup in RAID-0 on my old trusty EVGA SR2 those old enough can remember back to 2010 when it was king of dual XEON motherboards, I ran this on an Areca 1882ix-24 with 4gb ram. It was really fast for its time with a mix of Samsung and Intel SSD’s I think I managed to get 3500mb/s at the time. However one of these m.2 smokes that setup with around 5000mb/s and nearly 8000mb/s in Raid-0

anyway, I have ended up booting off the Seagate 520 and keeping my “fast storage” on the two Corsair MP600 for a 4Tb partition, to that I have added 2 WD RED 3Tb for my slow storage which then finally moves work off to my old SYNOLOGY DS1812+ which runs a RAID-6 on 8x 3Tb plus I have loose disks which are stored remote from the PC

as for the Ryzen 3900x setup, I am so far very pleased, it feels very smooth and apart from trying to setup the windows boot to the raid, I haven’t had any issues so far but it’s still early days.

thanks for your input it is really appreciated

henrik

11. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    I had a bit of a fight with nvme raid drivers for x570 as well. If memory serves the issue was with extracting the files to the target thumb drive failed to extract the files correctly. A quick trip to my wifes machine for extraction again cured the issue and I was able to continue the install all 3.5 minutes of it anyway.

tived likes this.