X299 and overheat woes

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by slyphnier, Sep 14, 2017.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    hi guys
    so i am planning to start a new build
    been comparing x299 and amd 399

for x299 basically i already have imagination what part i will get
    but for now my biggest consideration is overheat issue
    are this issue been solved ? either by intel or mobo maker ?

hope x299 owner can give me some insight or opinion regarding this overheat issue
    whether its fixable or wait until like mobo maker releasing version 2 for the fix etc.

2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    I have the Asus Prime X299-A and have not seen or been aware of a heat problem.

3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Same, no issues here either, MSI X299 Pro Gaming Carbon AC.

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080

5. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

If you are planning to build rendering PC then I would have look on good motherboard and monoblock there,if you can water cool PC because VRM on X299 sucks if you will be OC,you don't really need something extreme for cooling but depending on yours other parts like GPUs etc I would start with 2*360mm or more

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Just curious, never had an overheat problem, but can see where it might arise per your indications. Could your please site references? Thank you in advance.

7. user1

user1 Master Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    There aren't any inherent problems with the vrms, they just throttle the cpu if they get too hot (not that hard to do), mono block can solve that, as stated by der8auer, here

8. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Depends how far you are OC yours CPU and what motherboard do you have there and there are lots of if and buts but worth have look on der8auer and his OC test with VRM waterblock and without and this thread help as well

http://www.overclock.net/t/1634045/skylake-x-phantom-throttling

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

airbud7 likes this.
  9. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    I have the Asus Prime X299-A and it definitely does not suck. Got it paired up with the i9 7900X and the kraken X62, plus X4 3200Mhz ddr4 4GB and livin' large!!! Runs all 10 cores @ 4.5GHz in the high 50's to high 60's temps under intense gaming. Gotta love it!! Overkill, I know, but got no kids, just me and my wife of 45 years, (I am 66, my love is 45 and 240 months) we get what the hell we want!!! ;>)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    airbud7 likes this.
  10. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

If its sucks or not depending on yours workflow and what you do, most of games don't use all 10c/20t and therefore you will never see thermal throttling

You can try OCCT 4.4.2 or 4.5.0 and check there what temperatures are you getting on VRM or you can try few other benches like is Asus Realbench etc

If its for gaming then yes you should be OK but for anything else like is rendering you want to have good and low VRM temperatures and no thermal throttling

Have look running i7-5960x at 4.5Ghz and my temperatures in OCCT 4.4.2 are in 65-68°C on PKG and during the gaming I never seen temperatures higher than 50-55°C and running 6*16GB DDR4 2133MHz, my PC is used mostly for rendering and Folding@home and is turned on 24/7 and I render per day 16 hours

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

airbud7 and JaxMacFL like this.

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    thanks for the advice bro!
    i will keep in mind for the VRM make sure it got proper cooling when i build it

12. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    If looking for extreme oc then definitely close loop and delidding (4.8GHz and up). Normal oc (4.7/4.6GHz) closed loop. Turbo boost and slight oc (4.4/4.5GHz) BIG AIO.

This is based on the i9 7900X I have and on factual and speculation on my specs, lol. But should give a builder an idea.

Good info Jura, :>)

airbud7 likes this.
  13. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

If time allows I have chance to borrow from friend 7900x and board X299-A Prime and I will do few tests myself with my loop and NH-D15 and will see how it performs

He have as well non delided 7900x for now, he is not 100% happy with his 7900x and he wants from me to do few tests on my build

In yours case if you are happy then this is counts most than anything else there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI SC Bl
    Jura...

Great for you to do this. I would be very interested in how the 7900x steps at each level....4.0; 4.1; etc. Voltages and load temps. Not with Prime95, but with real applications. People at Noctua only tested the NH-D15 with the i9 at extreme settings...and found temps of 90C with Prime...again...an extreme test

15. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    I had originally had to NH-D15 installed with my i9 7900X and Asus Prime X299-A mb. Did not realize my CM 942-HAF-X would not take my kraken X62 AIO.

Was not at all displeased with temps at default normal use in work/gaming with the NH-D15, always have and always will be a big fan of them. Be aware though of even the slightest added power, oc/tweaking. It is the cpu, not the mb.

16. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Yes, obviously, if you push the CPU and Motherboard to levels that they were not advertised to reach and/or you have inadequate cooling, they will get hot, in some cases, too hot.

This is not new or news. It has been the same through countless iterations of motherboards, CPUs and GPUs from both camps for as long as I can remember.

I remember all the bullsh!t that went on when the GTX 480 came out, about how it was going to blow up people's PCs and start fires. I had 3 of them in SLI at one point (on air) and guess what, no fires, no explosions.

I didn't try to push them way over their advertised spec and my case, components and the room they were in were properly climate controlled. This is not rocket science.

It's not that I'm against what Der Bauer does but he is like the 0.0000001% of users whose specific mandate is to push these components to the absolute edge, the overwhelming majority of people who are buying a 7900X for example, are not doing what he is doing, but yet so many people (most of whom are never actually going to buy this gear) get incredibly (and irrationally) angry about things that are never going to affect them or their enjoyment of a given platform.

Equally, as the owner of several X299 boxes, I have no need to push the CPU or motherboard to levels that would render it unstable, Der Bauer does that for a living, and the hardware he uses is sponsored, so it's not a huge deal for him if he pushes too hard and something goes wrong.

Obviously, if you choose to push the expensive hardware you paid for way beyond it's advertised spec and something goes wrong, you really only have yourself to blame.

I'm so sick to death of the mass hysteria surrounding this platform as most of it arises from situations that the average user will never find themselves in and fanboys who simply cannot just enjoy hardware in general (regardless of who makes it) because they are too busy trying to ruin other people's appreciation of it.

/rant off

JaxMacFL likes this.
  17. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI SC Bl
    My main interest was to get the i7 7820x and clock it to 4.0 to 4.2 GHZ. Didn't want to push it all that hard, because I wanted to stay with air cool vs. water. I always believe that keep the voltage within a good range and temps wouldn't come back to bite me. Does this sound reasonable? Right now, I have x99 with i7 5820k clocked at 4.0 GHZ with voltage of 1.1 and chip never exceeds 62C using Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. The folks at Noctua steered me away from the i9 because of heat issues but had clocked it at 4.7.

18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I think you will be fine as I get my 7900X to 4.3Ghz with temps around 68C under load (ran one this morning and that was also with the AC off).

That is with a Corsair AIO, just in the interests of full disclosure

19. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    I hear ya mate. I believe that if you go with something similar to the Kraken X62 you would be very happy. Just make sure your case can handle whatever you would decide on. Kraken is a 280mm and would not go any smaller. Plus you would have that much more open space without the air cool heat sink. So far the i9, (I know you have i7, just saying) from what I understand, used thermal paste rather than solder in their i9 chips. Thus the high temps when oc'ing.

20. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Most of people who is buying any HDET CPU or any K CPU wants to OC their CPU,that's truth ... and due this we should expect from Mobo makers to do their job properly with good VRM,if you do OC VRM will starts to throttle if you do anything more than gaming,if you are buying 7900x just for gaming,not sure there,there are better CPU for gaming than 7900x

Agree there has been few issues with several products and inadequate cooling on their products,this has been sad truth on many products but still Intel still using "poor" TIM and would prefer if Intel would use soldering etc

If you are OC you are still pushing outside the spec CPU or Mobo,GPU,RAM etc,you are not buying such CPU(7900X) or GPU and don't want to OC,in this I don't believe,every one who have unlocked CPU or GPU will OC,just a bit if its possible on every product ...

Not sure if there such small percentage who will push their chips at such as der8auer but most of us use their CPU for rendering and there are CPU you pushing the a lot sometimes more than in any other stress tests,just take C4D or V-RAY,Corona and few other renderers like are Arnold and most of people will be pushing their chips well beyond that there as well,I do sometimes 12 hour renders and really if CPU or VRM starts to throttle then I will loose performance without the questions,friend have 7900x and he is running H115i on his and he can't keep his VRM cool enough and I think he is running 4.3GHz on his board and 7900X and his temperatures during renderings are in high 90's

Due this I still think this platform is not bad but could be bit better as these issues there shouldn't be here in first place

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura