X2 3800 Manchester VS. X2 4200 Toledo

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Freedom Eclipse, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Hello new guys & old farts. long time since I posted on here so good afternoon & evening.

recently Ive been having a little touble with my overclock at 2.610Ghz. even tho I have tested it over n over again with orthos & it always comes up stable. it will BSOD at radom times & it is pissing me off quite frankly. I could be on a marathon gaming session then it suddedn crashes

Some say its because Im running a 'full stack' of ram but the ram is still running at 400Mhz so it hasnt been overclocked or anything but anyway.

to the point.

Ive since ive come into a little extra cash recently Ive decided to give my rig a make over.

beefier PSU & 2x8800GT/GTS in SLI

but the main issue here is, is it worth upgrading my X2 3800+ Manchester core to a X2 4200 toledo core??? Im still on a budget & I dont care about bottlenecking so spare me the critasisum all I want is a little more performance without having to build a completely new system

quite a few places will sell a X2 4200+ really cheap & since ive added 600Mhz on this X2 3800+ hopefully Id be able to hit 2.7 or 2.8Ghz with the X2 4200 toledo core.

do you guys think its worth it??

yes I know the Core 2's perform a lot better & id get a lot more frames if I was running a E6600 or 6700

fut for around 30-40GBP im not going to argue if I can hit 2.8Ghz or more

your opinions please!!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Do not bother with going from a 3800+ to a 4200+, hell most of the time the 3800's overclock past the 4200's. I had to volt-mod my 4200+ to get it past the 2.5ghz barrier and now it is at a wall that can't be passed at 2.7ghz with 1.55V. I suggest sticking with your current setup until you want to a complete overhaul. You most likely will not hit 2.8 on a 4200 without at least 1.5V and some luck. Stick with what you have and save your money, at most you'd notice a 5% increase.

3. Freedom Eclipse

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    well i dont mind putting in the extra volts lol. are you sure yours is a toledo core?? a lot of the 4200's were predominantly Manchester, though that didnt change until near enough when the 939 socket was on its way out

download cpuz & let me know. otherwise Ive heard a lot of poeple hitting 2.8, 2.9Ghz or even more with a toledo core

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Yea it is a Manchester, I didn't even notice the Toledo naming part :D

I've considered going Opty or FX60, but I think for the price I'd rather go C2D Quad.

5. Freedom Eclipse

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    yeah, me too but my system still has a lot to offer in terms of gaming performance with a little tweaking, sure it wont be C2D kinda performance but I should get quite a big boost with 2 of the newer 8800 GTS thats going to be released soon.

reguardless. I just want to squeeze as much performance out of this & hopefully see PCI-E v3.0 before I decide its time to overhaul. my current system still games quite decently 1280x1204, 2x AA, Textures - Auto. on COD4 still gets me an average 30-60fps so im not complaining. I dont play that many system murdering games anyway.

Just COD, CODUO, COD2, COD4, BF2, CSS & guildwars

what im trying to do really is just fill in a few gaps where performance could be a little better

6. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    Freedom Eclipse

If you can get a 4200+ cheap enough, go for it , they O'C quite well, I hit 3Ghz on H2O before the camp swap.

Yes thier is a performance penality without going to core 2 ?, but if your happy with that, then also get the 8800gt SLI , and upgrade to a core 2 ? when the budget permits.

peace out :banana:

EDIT: The A8N32 SLI 939 still pushs out the frames with the right CPU!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007