X1950 Pro AGP slow

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bilal671, Oct 3, 2007.

1. komfoukios

komfoukios New Member

@ Bilal:
    I've read that u use win Vista. I would like to inform u that vista have problems with certain agp chipsets. For example my asrock nforce 3 motherboard cannot run win vista without an a nvidia vga due to GART driver lack on the part of nvidia. That is a problem for me as i won't be able to use my new x1950 pro agp with vista. Anyway perhaps you suffer from such incompatibilities with your own system, and perhaps u should check it out.

2. komfoukios

komfoukios New Member

@ Bilal:
    Considering the error messages u get from 3dmark, i would like to ask if u use catalysts 7.7-7.10. These versions have direct3d problems on agp cards. Direct3d acceleration was broken for my card using cat 7.9-7.10. Ati said that the last safe drivers for agp users are 7.6 the others have serious problems, especially 7.8 and 7.9 and even Ati doesn't recommend using them. Direct3D was broken for my previous radeon 9800 pro agp card in cat 7.9. Opengl and video acceleration work but direct3d doesn't. U could use an older driver if you're using one of the aforementioned versions and post your findings.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  3. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP
    I've tried older drivers and it hasn't made a difference. About the chipset drivers and vista, that does sound possible. I have a spare HD and will install xp on it on Thursday and let u all know how it goes.

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    hy all,

I think u'r problem are the mobo drivers or chipset. I got VIA 800Pro and this AGP Sapphire. First of all, with 7.8 or 7.9 I was unable to start up my system. 7.10 runs like crazy:eek:ver:. I tried in all games (MOHA Airbourne, Bioschock, COD 4-Demo, TimeShift). Generally the performance of these drivers (7.10) are visible better than 7.6, and I mean image quality and a littel bit of performance increase (for ex: in MOHA Airbourne are the fps with 2..8 increased and in Dirt i seen almost 10 fps more in few stages). All the games runs at 1240 maxed out. Very stable also like 7.6.

5. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Actually the 3700+ is the fastest CPU you can pickup for the 754 platform. At 2.4Ghz and a 1MB L2, its not a bad little CPU. With a little overclock you'll be plenty fast for the latest games and should alleviate any bottlenecking of your GPU.

There are several on Ebay right now, but they're a bit pricey.

6. spettacolo78

spettacolo78 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati X1950 Pro 512 AGP
    Sorry for di question but do you have check in the BIOS Setting Chipes the Open Size AGP to 512 MB and no 256 when you had changed the video card?
    See you...

7. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    There is no 512 available so I have it on 256...

Ok I installed xp on another hard disk today and the scores basically became the same as my friends pc which is on vista which is basically what I should get...

So that means that none of my components are a problem on xp which does seem to conclude that the chipset drivers for vista for my motherboard seem to be the problem. So looks like I have to get a new motherboard :(. A question though, by chipset drivers you mean the "SiS Accelerated Graphics Port"?? Also if u can think of any solutions other than new motherboard let me know.

Thanks again for the help :)

Bilal

Edit:
    Just played hl2:ep2 on vista and was slightly laggy at times... at the same settings in xp it is fine. Am looking for a new motherboard now

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  8. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950pro AGP 512 MB
    thanks. the thing is I'm not in the states, I live in Chile. So that's what I meant by "the fastest CPU I've been able TO FIND". That link I posted, is the only store I've been able to find selling 754 CPUs. :(

9. yur_maker

yur_maker New Member

The Problem is the CPU, Its Busy, This is Why I Build only Dual CPU Rigs.
    I Have this same card in My 7 yr Old Dual amd 2800 , and I can Run Any game Made at 1600 res all settings Max.
    Games I have on this Rig, Bioshock, FEAR, CSS, BF2142.
    And It Never Hiccups.
    In Fact it is Faster @ all these games than My E6300 w/7900gto.
    There is no substitute for Raw CPU Power and Remember Dual is better than DUO.
    This is Why My Last Purchase was the 4x4 from AMD , its the most amazing Geekboard I've Ever Seen.
    I will Post All Gaming Scores When I have her togather Running Photo Shop in the Back ground While Listening to mp3's of Elvis Costello and Watching King Kong vs Godzilla and Encoding some more Vids. Legal of Course

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    You make no sense, since a e6300 is a dual core whereas your amd athlon seup also has two cores. And if raw is concerned I should also remind that the e6300 is supieror to the pair of athlons.

Duo is dual, ;).

11. sotirisp

sotirisp New Member

...seems that i have the same problem with my new HD2600XT pci-e.

It's placed on a 478 motherboard with PCI-e slot and a Intel P4 2.8 HT Northwood with 2GB of DDR RAM.

While with my old GF6800 (on my old AGP slot motherboard) i could score around 60FPS average playing Battlefield 2 @ 1280x1024 medium settings,

now with the exact same settings i cannot run the game above 20-30 FPS !!!!!!!! Drops under 20 FPS very often -> almost unplayable...

There is no logic to it...HD2600XT is supposed to be 2-3 times faster than the old GF6800...

That's the reason i bought it. Oh and it's a Sonic model @ 1600MHz memory.

12. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    I'm just bumping this up, in case we find a solution

13. abjam77

abjam77 Member

GPU:
    HIS X1950 Pro 512mb
    Yeah now I am having similar issue too. Not quite as acute but it still seems like my card is running slow. On lost coast and SWAT 4 it seems to play a bit better when I crank up the stetting to high rather than medium, but it still drops pretty low in action. Is this also a cpu issue or something else?

14. Stop It RAWR

Stop It RAWR Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7850 BE
    I can't help but notice that the majority of people in this thread have horrifically unbalanced systems, abjam, for instance, if your computer plays games just as well at high settings as medium, it means you are CPU limited, and I can safely say most of the rest of you are.

I have a X1950XT AGP, which is basically the same card, just with the XT chip (16/48 pipes/shaders instead of 12/36), and I get 11500 points on 3dMark 05, I can play most games at 1680 x 1050 with max details with no issues, including the UT3 demo, the only thing that kicks this in the nuts is Crysis.

So, the only difference between me and the majority of you lot is the CPU, I have a Core 2 Duo, and not even a high end one, but boy is it fast, compared to my old Athlon 64 3000+ it's not even close, and utilising it, enables this gfx chip to perform to its full potential.

Sorry guys but you've simply bought a card which your respective systems bottleneck to hell, the easy solution is to get a motherboard that can take a Core 2 Duo/Athlon X2 that also has an AGP slot, and watch as your "problematic" X1950 pros suddenly turn out to be speed demons.

15. abjam77

abjam77 Member

GPU:
    HIS X1950 Pro 512mb
    Would it make sense to return my x1950 pro for something weaker like a 7600gt? Would this yield better performance or is this just stupid? I am not really ready to buy a new computer for about a year.

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    No, I was going to do this with mine when I had my older p4, but I stuck out with it and my card shone as soon as the 7.x drivers came out, tried the 7.7's ?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  17. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/01/agp-platform-analysis/page4.html#gaming_benchmarks

Theres an analysis there. Newer cards still do perform better when high graphics are put on... however minimum specs must be met for game on it at least.

My new mobo has come (was a bargain of ebay), now one ramstick doesn't work and thats coming on thursday so will report what difference it made with mine.
    (my problem is my old motherboard vga drivers for vista which were limiting the graphics card).
    Tommorow getting crysis, cod4 and gears of war and will report how they run soon as my ram comes on thursday and on what settings I have the games on if any at all ;). My specs are on the left, a pretty low end system except the gfx card lol. I'm intrigued myself :p

18. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    that's exactly what I've been looking for, an AGP mobo supporting newer CPUs, but can't seem to find any here in Chile :(

19. mikmik

mikmik New Member

GPU:
    sapphire radeon x1950pro agp
    sanafabich, look at the asrock am2nf3-vsta (but dont run vista+radeon together) mobo,
    I think its a bargain,
    agp sapp x1950pro agp (little 621 core oc with a hr-03(dont forget the vrms))
    ddr2 dual mode
    am2 x2 4200ee (oced to 2640 stable(240fsb) no volt mod yet but seen clues)
    cant do 241 fsb with 1.3v (thats all the board will give the 4200)
    will take upto the x2 6400
    nforce3 chipset! with sata raid0 (works fastfast)
    memory throughput in sandra is 8500Mbs
    the board is £28.50 in uk

i get 10400 max in 3d05 and 5150 in 3d06
    i really like this board
    i think with a x2 6400 it would add a couple more thousand in both 3dmarks
    average 72fps @ 1280x1024 maxed out in fear (no frames below 27)

can u buy stuff in other countries and get it shipped?

20. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    at least not from the states, but I've been looking at a few newer mobos with an AGP slot, and as soon as I have a better idea, will ask for your help :pinkbow:
    Still, I'd like an oppinion on my PSU please, 600W:
    +3.3V = 32A
    +5V = 36A
    +12V1 = 18A
    +12V2 = 20A
    +5VSB = 2.0A
    -12V = 1.0A
    Is it good enough for my x1950pro?