X1950 Pro AGP slow

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bilal671, Oct 3, 2007.

1. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    CS:S using the CPU more than the video card, compared to most other games. However, your CPU is not causing it entirely, but it is part of the problem. 1GB of ram in vista is not enough to run games, even CS:S. You old video card had what 128mb of ram? Remember, vista uses more system ram when you ahve more video ram to cache/swap things. It's very different than xp in this regard. So, only having 1gb of system ram with a 512mb video card will cause problems when trying to run a game no mater what settings.

2. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    As for the 7.8 and 7.9 drivers for a x1950 (mine is PCIx) my card is working better than ever. Most games I'm running at full detail (6x AA 16x AF).

This might be an AGP problem only however. Run riva tuner for your cpu and gpu temps. Also run driver cleaner and reinstall drivers.

I can actually help you with this problem too believe it or not. My parents old computer was a crappy old Dell with a p-4 northwood. Man...what a horrible p.o.s processor. No offense, I had to use the thing too every now and then. The second I put a better video card in it (an mx4000 to a geforce4 ti4600) it ran even slower during 3d applications. And that thing gets hot as balls. I'm not sure if that's exactly the problem because the 4600 did run some games a bit better but it had it's problems.

Good Luck regardless.

EDIT: The PSU in that thing was a pile of garbage. That contributes to soggy 3d performance and unstable systems. I will never, ever skimp on a psu.

3. ANTALIFE

ANTALIFE New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950PRO
    Hey

I also have a Sapphire X1950 PRO video card and to be honest the card likes to be pushed to its limits, i.e. I actually get higher frame rates in Half-Life 2: Lost Coast that is set on Max possible settings than on everything low?!?!?!

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    That's correct, the Cat 7.8,7.9 issue only affects the AGP X1950 Series in XP. Not Vista or PCI-E.

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    9-12% to be precise.

6. tmf2

tmf2 New Member

FWIW I run bioshock on max res with max settings and it runs great. My System is a Abit NF7-2, a Mobile 2500+ o/ced to 2400 mhz, 2GB Ram I'm powering 2- Optical Drives and 3 -7200rpm Hard drives. My Power Supply is a Antec 500w with 17a on each 12v rail. I'm experiencing great game play no overheating or artifacts at all. This thing owns my 6800U and its not even O/Ced yet.

7. DkSoul

DkSoul New Member

I getting the same problem..

My specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    RAM: 1GB DDR 400
    HD: 500GB Samsung HD501LJ
    GFX: Sapphire X1950 PRO 512MB AGP
    PSU: LC Power 550W
    Driver: 6.12 (also tried 7.4, 7.7)

Battlefield 2 runs at 30fps with 1280x1024, AA: OFF and everything else set to Medium.
    ET: Quake Wars runs at 20-30fs with 1280x1024 everything set to the Lowest settings.
    CS:Source runs at 50-60fps with 1280x1024 everything set to Maximum (stress test gave 88fps).

I believe these are low fps for the X1950 PRO, aren't they?

8. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP
    Well compared to mine that is really good. The only difference is you have xp and after looking around at benchmarks for vista and xp the difference is a few frames... not 40-50fps difference, so I'm stil pretty sure there is something wrong :(.

9. DkSoul

DkSoul New Member

If you don't have another computer (of your own, or a friends) to test it, I suggest using the warranty. That way you can be sure if the problem is your X1950 or not.

10. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    To test a cpu to find if it is the bottleneck , Overclock the cpu and if the scores stay the same the cpu is not the bottleneck . Underclock the cpu and the scores become lower , cpu bottleneck is not the main problem , a memory test is in order , try speeding up the timing . Bottlenecks in a pc may not be so easy to find , remove unused addons modems , tv cards and turn off usb things like printers and scanners . Its good to have two or more PCs ,one for work and one for gaming.

11. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    Right mate has a pc, with a 3.2ghz processor. Gonna get him to bring it round and I'm gonna test it on that. At the moment he has a x800 so shall see what happens when I pop in my x1950 pro. He said he'll come later in the week. In the meantime will try overclocking and see how it goes. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks

12. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950pro AGP 512 MB
    so, bilal671, any improvement? I have the same card, and think I'm suffering from the same low performance issue

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  13. heelsparky0501

heelsparky0501 New Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati Radeon X1950 512 agp
    ive currently got a celeron d 2.93 running a 3.5 ghz, css os horriable laggy, and bioshock...........well lets just say the most i get is around 15 fps :p

im planning on upgrading to a p4 3.4 cpu, seeing as that is the most my system can handle, do u guys think i would have the same bottlenecking problem he is?

14. saints

saints Member

im afraid so yes i have a pentium 3.4ghz and im expericing the exact same problem low FPS in games i have a 1950pro agp i believe this is a common card fault thats happened which manufactures overlooked... it could be a motherboard incompatibility???? i am so close to returning the card im getting to the end of my calm state LOL

15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Bottlenecking yes, a celeron D, from experience cripples it. I find that a 2.8 p4 is a good start imo.

16. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    as far as my MOBO is concerned, it's a socket 745 board, and the fastest CPU I've been able to find right now is this one:
    http://www.bip.cl/ecommerce/buscador2.php3?id_producto=1756
    (AMD Athlon 64bits 3200+ 2.2Ghz 512kb Socket 754 box.)
    Considering I'm on a Sempron @1800 MHz, do you guys think it'll make any difference?

17. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    still waiting for your info mate!

18. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Got someone coming over tommorow with his comp and will test it on that. Its not much better though, a p4 3.2ghz. Also will try the overclocking tommorow as well.

19. SANAFABICH

SANAFABICH Member

GPU:
    thanks dude, I'll try some other settings myself, including updating the mobo's BIO

20. bilal671

bilal671 Member Guru

GPU:
    Right got another computer today and tested it. This pc was the same specs except it had a 3.0ghz processor rather than 2.8ghz... fired up 3dmarks 2006... The difference:

GT1 - Return To Proxycon That pc:12.282fps
    My pc: 7.915fps
    GT2 - Firefly Forest That pc: 12.240fps
    My pc with an error as always on the firefly so it doesn't even load "IDirect3DDevice9:present failed:Device lost(D3DERR_DEVICELOST)"

HDR1 - Canyon Flight That PC: 18.771
    My PC: 14.132

HDR2 - Deep Freeze That PC: 18.593
    My PC: 14.921

Just overclocked my processor to 2.94 and first test stayed basically went up slight. As you can see 200mhz extra shouldn't make that much difference in my opinion or should it???
    Looking through his config I saw on difference, Fastwrite was enabled and mines says not supported. So went into bios, had a look and it was disabled. So I enabled it and still it says not supported. In CCC there is no option (smartgate tab isnt there, dunno if it should be) for me to enable it.

So any ideas anyone whats going on or is it the 3ghz processor making the difference??

Thanks again

Bilal