X1900XTX & Professional 3D Applications (Maya, Max, Avid XSi, etc...)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pooshda, Apr 26, 2006.

1. pooshda

pooshda Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1900XTX w/ MCW60 h20
    I did a quick search on google but did not really dig anything up... I was wondering if there was any information about the X1900XTX being used with any Professional 3D Applications such as Alias Maya, Avid XSI, 3D Studio Max, etc... many years ago I was starting to get into 3D Graphics but somewhere down the line I lost my ambition and eventually stopped working with these applications.

Now that I have a pretty powerful computer I was considering giving it a go again, I am an Artist/Graphic Designer but 3D has always been one of my short coming and I definately cannot justify a workstation accelerator for recreational use. Has anyone ever reported wether or not these cards will offer at least decent acceleration in professional level applications or do they fail miserably?

Also I was wondering if anyone had put together any workstation-optimized ATI drivers for this sort of thing (that will not hurt gaming performance) because I am interested in possibly checking them out... I really want to get back into 3D graphics and resume where I left off and was wondering if my X1900XTX can handle workstation applications.

:dave:

2. In order for it to work properly you have to mod your X1900XTX to a FireGL card, and ATM I don't think that's possible. It would also degrade your cards gaming performance too, so I'm not sure you'll want to do it even if it were possible.....

3. pooshda

pooshda Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1900XTX w/ MCW60 h20
    Thanks for the quick response... hmm, yeah I did not want to give up one thing for another. I knew you could Modify some of the Nvidia cards to perform like Quadro FX cards as well so I figured there was something similar w/ ATI...

I guess I will at least install some of my 3D Applications and see how they behave, but I guess I should not expect much. I sort of figured I wouldnt be so lucky to get some great performance but I wasnt sure if it had been looked into before or not.