x1900xtx or 7900gtx

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheBoss84, Apr 2, 2006.

1. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    hey whats up!!

In 2 months it is June again how time flies. And in that time i will be getting a new rig. The thing is i still dont know whether to buy a x1900xtx or 7900gtx. Im really confused cause some people say that image filtering is much better on ati and other say that anti aliasing quality is better on nvidia. i really care much about IQ since i already have seen performance and i am pretty happpy on both but more on atis side.
    So i would really apreciate some help on this decision, maybe pics from games or image quality reviews or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

TheBoss84.

2. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    As a single card solution, the XTX takes the lead slightly.

Bit-Tech.net did an Oblivion benchmark showing the XTX beat out the 7900GTX OC by a considerable margin.

3. There is really no discernable difference in performance between the two, they each give and take a bit here and there. But overall I like the image quality of the ATI cards more than Nvidia, so I chose ATI. Honestly you will not regret getting either one though:)

Edit: and as for AA, ATI cards can do 6xAA Nvidia cards only 4xAA, and ATI's "adaptive AA" is much better than Nvidias "transparent AA". If it's purely on image quality, few would argue that ATI is "clearly" better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  4. 13.-Soldier

13.-Soldier Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X800 XL 256mb
    7900 gtx I have an ati card and I can't stand it sometimes because of the drivers but thats me you might have had better luck than me.

5. icywind32

icywind32 Master Guru

GPU:
    ati 6970 2gb
    i would say ati cuz they have better image quality for abotu the same performance of the gtx and its pretty much in the same price range

6. Ayune

Ayune Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT 256mb (AGP)
    I think IQ is not an issue anymore, you cant go wrong if you choose one of those cards but I would prefer GTX.

7. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    Doesn't matter, get the 7900gtx, it's a tad cheaper, same performance.

8. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    I don't see the GTX for cheaper anywhere, meanwhile the XTX has kept dropping. If you've got the PSU for it, go for the ATI.

9. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Tough choice. I would probably lean toward the X1900XTX personally, since it has a few neat features that I would use. Either card would put a big smile on your face.

10. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    Hey thanks!!

I think im going towards the x1900xtx cause of better IQ and im gonna watercool that beast and oc it like hell.

Greetings,

TheBoss84.

11. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    go for 7900GTX, if you're ever planning to go for a dual card configuration (SLI). well, that's my opinion, although i'd agree that the 1900XTX scores a better IQ in some games

12. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS XXX edition @stock
    Be sure to get a VERY high-end psu to go w/ that new beast of yours. I'd suggest at least a 550W psu w/ about 28 amps on the 12V rail. Don't bother looking for a cheap 550W psu, the cheap-ass ones will not give you what you want. For brand, Antec, Tagan, or OCZ deliver top-notch psu's. The 7900 GTX would also need another psu, but you won't have to fork out 150 USD to get a decent enough one.

13. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    I'm planning to get an X1900XT myself, and an Antec TPII-550 for $90 to power it. According to ATI, thats even enough to power a crossfire system, though I wouldn't try it.

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That's just BS. Maybe with the in-game settings, but nvidia cards can actually do a lot more AA than ATI. Up to 32x with SLI I believe. I thought Transparency AA was better than Adaptive AA in terms of IQ. In terms of Performance I thought it was the other way around though.

15. Kon³v

Kon³v Guest

GPU:
    Legend 7800GT
    X1900XTX if you dont care about the noise ;)

16. My vote goes to the GTX, eVGA GTX

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, I can force 8x or 16x AA if I want to.

18. outbreak123

outbreak123 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    who needs 32x AA anyway, i likes ATI better even though i'm using GeForce, the image quality isn't satisfying me :( i have seen my friend X1800XT and it rocks! :)

19. I guess im blind, between the two I cant tell a diffrence in quality. Maybe with two identical screenshots with a magnifying glass I could.

Alot of thing effect how it looks too, like there video card settings, maybe ATI has a tad bit more digital vibrance @ stock settings, or maybe your friends monitor has a higher contrast ratio and is abit brighter. Heck maybe the colors in his room and lighting contrast the computer as to give it a sharper image look.

Or maybe im just a blind old man who knows...

20. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    What 32xAA? I can't imagine how games would look like!
    [​IMG]
    It'll prolly look something like this.