X1900 XT Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Goodfella909, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Goodfella909

Goodfella909 Member

I have just built a new PC which includes the X1900 XT video card. The problem is when I get to the desktop a 'NO SUPPORT!' message appears on the monitor (the message comes from the monitor, not windows). I press a button on the monitor to get rid of it and all appears to be fine, that is until I start to multitask or particularly when I launch a game. I tried F.E.A.R. and as soon as it launched this 'NO SUPPORT!' message appears then it gets no further than the games menu screen and the PC completely shuts down (as if there was a power cut).

It's the same with any game I try and appears to happen when it's put under any stress, the only thing it can handle is web browsing, which is fine.

I have a 520w PSU, the fan on the card is working. I've tried all sorts of drivers, even formatted and re-installed windows. Nothing works.

PS, the card felt very hot when I touched it just after the PC shut down.

I have an ASUS A8N5X motherboard.
    AMD 64 San Diego 3700+

2. Sinacle

Sinacle Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 1800xt 700/1600
    You really should monitor your temperatures in idle. If these are okay (<55) only thing you can do is try the card in a mate's computer. Chances are it's not the vga but the psu being faulty.

3. Goodfella909

Goodfella909 Member

In control centre it was around the 53-55 mark when Idle. Is that what the No Support message means, it's to do with the PSU?

Sadly I don't know anyone with a PCI-E motherboard.

4. Goodfella909

Goodfella909 Member

Well, thanks Sinacle, you were probably correct about the PSU. It has 30amps on a 12v rail and according to ATi's site that is suitable for my card so maybe it is faulty.

Anyhow, I took the PSU out of my old case, it's 450w and 34amps on 12v rail. Put it in my new case and voila, not a problem. F.E.A.R. works beautifully.

Still getting this NO SUPPORT message though, that's probably another issue entirely. Oh well at least the card works. :)

Thanks for the help.

5. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Sounds like a monitor driver issue. Is the monitor old?

Also, please only post your problem once, you have the same problem posted in 2 different forums.

6. Goodfella909

Goodfella909 Member

Yes I know, sorry about that, I thought I had posted in the wrong place as it wasn't a driver issue so I posted on the other board, sorry again.

The monitor is brand new, but to my shame it's a rather cheap model, seemingly branded by the name of the site I bought it from. (a very good site by the way)

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=14153&GroupID=1172

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  7. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    No need to apologise m8. Was just a heads up.

Welcome to Guru3d by the way!!!

I think your driver cant recognise the monitor or something. Seems like a very odd issue you're having.

8. Goodfella909

Goodfella909 Member

Thanks for the welcome Dublin Gunner :)

Yes it is an odd problem, I get the feeling it wouldn't be occuring had I invested in a 'better' monitor, so to speak.

I'm just happy the card is not at fault.

What I will say is that the No Support message never occured until I installed the drivers for the card, so basically, like you said, the card doesn't recognise the monitor or vice versa. It's certainly an issue between the card and the monitor, don't you think?

9. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    It seems like Catalyst driver cannot recognise the monitor for some reason.

Although I cant be sure as I've never seen this problem before.

10. Goodfella909

Goodfella909 Member

Seems that way, time will tell, maybe 6.7 will fix things. ;)

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Member Guru

GPU:
    6600gt & X1900
    Did you ever try in the CCC display options->display detection option->use manual detection?
    Might help maybe.