*X1800XT 512mb vs 7900GT / x1900xtx vs 7900GTX*

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OCZSpeedJunky, Apr 18, 2006.

1. OCZSpeedJunky

OCZSpeedJunky Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x MSI GTX465 SLI'd
    Ok, I want opinions. Decided I don't wanna use my 7600GT card I just installed, so I am picking up a different one. Depending on what I get here for opinions will decide what I get. First, how does the 7900GT compare to the X1800XT 512mb Crossfire, since they are pretty much the same price. From what I am seeing, the X1800XT 512mb somewhat easily beats the 7900GT. Is this correct??
    Next, how does the new 7900GTX compare to the X1900XTX Crossfire card?? Basically decided piss on it, gonna drop up too $600 on a card and be done with it lol So, if someone wants one, got a brand new 7600GT for ya :) But seriously, I would really appreciate some opinions 'cuz I have used nVidia cards for god knows how long, haven't bought an ATI card in years. So, I am trying to find out what the best is so I don't get bored and decide to upgrade that one in a month lol. Thanks in advance. :givebeer:

2. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    this thread is trouble waiting to happen ocz, it raising a red flag to the bulls we dont need this conversation it gets out of hand way to easly!!

3. markie mark

markie mark Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI X1900 XT 512mb
    I'd say get the X1900XT, it last you a long time.
    The X1900XTX is a bit better than the 7900GTX this time round.
    But Im sure your get mixed answer's.
    I Got my X1900XT 512MB of ebay in an auction,
    sealed with 1 year's warranty for $420.00 :)
    some of the X1900XTX cards go for around $677.62 to $782.00 You can get the X1900XT and clock it the same as the X1900XTX.
    much cheaper option.
    You wont notice in gameplay peformance,from a unclocked X1900XT compared to the unclocked X1900XTX, as there's not alot between them, just money diffrence really.
    My older brother has the XTX one, and you really cant notice any diffrents at all... just a money making scam if you ask me.

4. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2

5. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    i would say 1800xt just for the the extra memory and gtx because they are pretty even but i hear nvidia's drivers are better and come out faster

6. BlackFeetNation

BlackFeetNation Master Guru

an x1800xt would be a decent choice for great overclocking and wonderful for maxing out aa and as with adaptive aa set to quality and still manage to play most games on extreme quality with hdr! (that is with a decent over clocked processor) my 7800gtx couldnt handle the task nor could my dual 7800gtx's but i am just sure it was my psu! if your lucky on the x1800xt by getting 6 mosfets on your card the bios update (700core 800memory) will help out alot from stock 625c 750m :D i was surely lucky and got the 6mosfets and so far it has enabled me to flash the bios and take my core up to 750core and 900memory with out any artifacts or voltage increases!(ati fan speed at 50% idle temps 47 load temps 66) but just giving you some extra choices plus i guess these things are cheap i picked mine up for $225usd on anandtech :D

7. OCZSpeedJunky

GPU:
    2 x MSI GTX465 SLI'd
    Well, honestly, the reason I am looking is 'cuz of the way they did these 7600's. They really shoulda added the extra power connection on the cards. I started seeing power issues with mine at 615/1750, it would just lock up, basically pulling too much juice. I could fix it, and mod it, which is pretty easy, but then that voids the warranty, so not sure I wanna do that. All I gotta do is add the power connector to the card and a couple more caps to help filter out noise, and it'd have the proper connector, but then I'd have no warranty. This is why I am looking at just selling this card we got and either getting an X1800XT, or saying piss on it and spending $500 and getting a 7900GTX or X1900XTX. Yes, nVidia does tend to come out with drivers alot quicker, but, I really like the HDR and advanced AA on the ATI cards. Plus, for what I paid for the 7600, for another $75 - 100 more I could order a Sapphire or Powercolor X1800XT. So what exactly do ya mean by getting 6 mosfets?? I know what they are from dealing with car adio all my life, but never noticed they had them on the ATI cards, or any cards. So they basically have 6 mini mosfets on the cards I'm guessing to help clean up the signals and such on it?? And what are the chances of getting one with 6 mosfets with the card I order?? lol So what are the good ATI brands now days anyhow??? I honestly haven't bought an ATI card since like 2000, and I returned that one 'cuz it had a conflict with my VIA chipset at the time and got the nVidia Hercules Prophet 64 GTSII Pro card. I think if I remember that card was actually made and sold by ATI at the time, not Sapphire or anyone else. Thanks for the info too hey, helps make up my mind so I can order the other card next week lol. Plus I got 2 to get rid of(7600 & a 6600). Anyway. LMK and I'll bs atcha later. Thanks

8. OCZSpeedJunky

GPU:
    2 x MSI GTX465 SLI'd
    Never even thought about that bud. Sorry. Well, if they want, someone starts blabbin' away about bs and runnin' off at the mouth, they can go ahead and close it anytime they want, that's fine. Just figured this was the easiest way to get info since I've read and looked at dang near every dang card on newegg & zipzoomfly lol Still can't decide what I wanna do. Just kinda sucks that this 7600 is setup the way it is, 'cuz it is a decent performing card, just sucks too much power from the PCIe bus. Like I told BFN, I could mod the card and add the power connector, but then I lose the warranty, don't wanna do that. So I don't know. Figured the card is a week old, hasn't been clocked over factory clocks, I'll just sell it and get close to what I paid for it, and either get the high end ATI or Geforce, or drop an extra $100 and get an X1800XT. Just wanted some more opinions on the cards. But if the big bulls see an issue with the thread, they can go ahead and close it, thats cool with me. Didn't realize it at the time it might start a shouting war on who thinks what is better, etc. etc. I know whatcha mean bud. ;)
    Later :givebeer:

9. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Don't worry - in general people seem to theadcrap a lot less and it hasn't happened yet, and with Wildstyle closing the last few threads quickly, I think people have learned their lessons.

Anyhow, come to a descision on what card to get?

10. Loki91

Loki91 Maha Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    sorry to hijack this thread: but how are the rumours going with the x1950? is ATi going to bite back with an 80mm chip to clearly draw the line and climb a few steps above the 7900GTX?

11. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    hey oczspeedjunky have u decided on any card cause im in the same posistion ur in and im choosing between the x1800xt and 7900gt

12. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    I would say get the x1900XTX if you can, it handles AA far better than the 7900GTX.

Theres tons of reviews and comparisons on the internet to read, just look em up. Which ever you choose, you wont be disappointed

13. Monkey5900

Monkey5900 Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d X1800XT 256MB @ Stock
    the 1900xt is by far the better card. it's really a case on if u can splash out. i like ATI, always been my favourite. plus it's crossfire edition, so u can upgrade even more if u like! the 1900xt is simply a betetr card. go for that! and don't ever buy cards from XFX, they're absolutely awful!

14. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Why's that? After the recent strain of the XXX cards going dead?

My GF owns an XFX 6600GT, so naturally, I'm concerned.

15. boomheadshot45

boomheadshot45 Active Member

GPU:
    soon to come, HIS X1900XT
    the review that i saw went back and forth between the 7900 gtx and x1900tx , in one game the 7900 gtx would be better and in another the x1900xt would be better, you won't notice a difference in games... so now its all personal preference

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

I agree, it ultimately comes down to preference. The X1900XT/X might be a little bit better performing than a 7900GTX, but let's remember the one thing that Nvidia does better than ATI; drivers. The performance of the 7900GTX can only increase from here on out, due to there only being one WHQL-certified Forceware driver which officially supports the 7900GTX. The 7900GTX is also quieter than the X1900XT/X. For the sake of making this a fair evaluation, I must state that ATI has better performing cards (unless openGL games is all you play), and their IQ is high quality. Also, ATI can utilize TRUE HDR + AA, which Nvidia can't (Although I have a question about that: Would any game developer actually be stupid enough to make a game in which Nvidia owners couldn't run HDR + AA ? Regardless of the fact that only ATI can do TRUE HDR + AA, I don't think that any game developer would do anything that dumb.).

EDIT: It may seem like I'm drifting towards Nvidia, but please do not let the start of my post confuse you; I'd go with ATI if I were in the original thread-starter's position.

17. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    get the 7900gtx cooler quiter quicker in some things and ocs nicely!

18. OCZSpeedJunky

GPU:
    2 x MSI GTX465 SLI'd
    Well, I can say that the XFX XXX card I got sucks lol Before, I had always used Leadtek cards, and kinda wondering if I shoulda ordered the Leadtek 7600GT. I had considered the eVGA card, but got the XFX 'cuz of the higher memory clocks. Last XFX card I will buy though. From now on I'll stick with Leadtek. Heard good things about eVGA cards too, so I think i'd use'm.
    But hey, yea I kinda decided on what to do. Wondering though, who makes a decent ATI card?? Sapphire, Powercolor, HIS??? Thinking I am either going X1800XT or X1900XT/XTX depending on what maker I go with. Cash isn't a problem really, so dumping $500 on a card isn't really a big deal. So what manuf. actually makes reliable cards?? See alot of you guys using Sapphire cards, and some Powercolor. But, I like the HIS cards too lol So which would be better??? And as far as cooling, don't really matter about the fan on the card or how loud it is as I will be putting the water on it right away, so the fan don't matter.

19. Spart

Spart Member

GPU:
    Dual x1900's in Crossfire
  20. Deeez

Deeez Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900 GTX 512mb
    Exactly, DITTO, WHAT HE SAID.