x1600xt crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by agamelas, Feb 15, 2006.

1. agamelas

agamelas New Member

GPU:
    Asus 6600gt AGP
    HI!

i want to buy an graphiic card. and i´m about to buy GeCube X1600XT GDDR3. Just need some opinion.

Is it a good buy? do not want to spend more money...

Also buying MSI RD480 Neo2 or ASUS A8R-MVP.
    suggestions?

Regards

2. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    I have the ASUS A8R MVP and im pleased with it thus far

3. agamelas

agamelas New Member

GPU:
    Asus 6600gt AGP
    thanks!

any opinion on GeCube X1600XT and MSI board?

4. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    I've heard the X1600XT leaves a lot to be desired.

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Seriously dude, if you want ATI get a X800 series card or better, should be able to pick up an XL or Pro for about the same money and they will knock a X1600XT into a cocked hat. According to reviews iv read the X1600XT struggles in most games vs the 6600GT, let alone its intended rival, the 6800GS (imo the best midrange choce atm).

6. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Have you ever used an X1600XT? I doubt it. I went from Bf2 at 1024x768 on medium with a 6600gt to Bf2 at 1024x768 on full with AA on my X1600XT. My 3dmark03 score went from 7900 to 9200, and 3dmark05 went from 3*** to 5200. And considering the X1600XT costs $60-$80 more (in Aus) id say its worth it.

7. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

In some games the x1600xt performs better than an 6600gt in others the 6600gt outperforms the x1600xt. The 6600gt keeps up with the x1600xt and sometimes outperforms it, it has the same features as the x1600xt and all of that for less money.
    Oc'ing it will give you even more of a boost.
    Synthetic benchmarks are all fine..but it doesn't tell you anything about the cards real world performance.

Quote from hilberts revien on the HiS x1600xt:

"My second negative has to be this (and it is a remark to ATI not HiS): Although performance is reasonably good for a mid-range card, this performance level was introduced by NVIDIA two years ago. This is the newest X1000 Mid-range product yet it has an awfully hard time keeping up with a two year old GeForce 6600 GT. Both win and lose to each other here and there. In my humble opinion the mid-end segment performance level needs to become faster than what we see right now, games simply demand it. For example, I can only imagine what this product would do for performance if it was equipped with 256-bit gDDR memory."

I'm not saying it's a bad card, but like you said the 6600gt still is cheaper by 50$ ( or more) than a gt.

8. agamelas

agamelas New Member

GPU:
    Asus 6600gt AGP
    so but in ATI what do you advise? X8** series?

wich one?

9. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

Ok, the x800 series, has way more performance in games, but lacks certain features, like sm 3.0
    The x1600xt has all the latest features, but it lacks somewhat in the performance department.
    Then you have the 6600gt, it has about the same performance of the x1600xt but at a lower pricepoint.

It's your choice to make what you value most...performance, value, features...

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    in actuallity, ive personally seen the x1600xt preform about on par with a x800pro (flipfloping between the two). i got the card not too long ago and i absolutely love it. it can run CSS with everything maxed out (aa, af...etc) @ 1280x1024 and it still runs around 100 fps average. in fear it runs at about 40fps avg with everything maxed at 1150x840(?), mostly because i dont have enough ram to prevent hitches. all in all the x1600xt is a steal for the price by far and should preform well in crossfire.

11. 3dsage

3dsage Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512MB
    Whatever you do dont go backwards i.e purchase a X8** series card no SM3 support you get more FPS but less I.Q not worth it IMO. Go for X1600xt especially if your planning on X-fire youll be in X1800 Range and those X8** cards will be weeping in your rear view.

12. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    And would you still recommend it over a 6800GS? Which, being its direct competitor, would likely weigh in at around the same price (the GS is roughly £10-30 more expensive as per Scan.co.uk listing, iv just checked).

3D Mark scores dont mean jack these days when comparing one brand to another, a 6800GS would allow for another even more significant bump in BF2 settings since thats the game you mentioned. Tbh for the small difference in price, there is a chasm in gaming performance between a X1600XT and 6800GS and neither has a feature or tech advantage to help justify itself.

Im sure the X1600 performs more then adequately, and for many people overclocks very well to give a nice performance boost (as you say in some cases to X800 Pro levels), but I personally believe the way ATI has arranged the architecture is a little premature. The good thing? As games make heavier use of shaders (relative to textures ofc) the relative performance of the X1600 to its rivals series will only increase, but will it have the guts to run the games at that time with only 4 traditional pipelines? We'll see.

Imo ATI really need to look at the midrange seriously. At the high end they are seriously untouchable atm, in the midrange, much like with the X700 series, they are being seriously outmatched at every price point as far as I can see. Real shame.

13. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    I have no doubt in my mind that the 6800gs is the better performer out of both of the cards but i was comparing the X1600XT's apparently below par performance against the 6600GT. Where is am (in Aus) the 6600gt goes for about $240, the X1600XT about $290 and the 6800GS about $350. As you can see there is a huge jump from the 6600gt to the 6800gs, but not that much of a difference between the 6600gt and the X1600XT. That was my arguement.

14. oneluvballer21

oneluvballer21 Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon X850 Pro @ XTPE
    What about a Sapphire Radeon X1600Pro 512MB AGP card? The link is below. I'm looking for an upgrade, and I need to do intense video editing work with Avid Xpress Pro, and I don't have the PCI-e option. For $156 it looks like a steal, but then I really don't know a lot about the card... but the 512MB sounds intriguing... anyone know much about this, and what I'd be getting myself into with such a purchase? Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102679&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=14-102-679

or.... would the x1600xt with 256MB be the better option? For video editing...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  15. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

I don't believe 512MB on a low end/mainstream card does any good. IMO 512MB belongs on high-end cards...those really have the power to make use of the 512MB

16. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    humm wasn’t going to get into this, the highly flaunted sm3 and mid range cards ie ( 66gt x1600)are irrelevant simply because the sm3 performance is so crap you might as well not have it. If dollars are a concern as they all ways are you will find joy with either a 66gt or a x1600xt if you like ati cards and you feel comfortable with them go with them if you like nv’s go with that.

But I would haft to agree with DC, try and get your self a few dollars more and get a card with more pipes, in the end that’s what will dictated performance x8 series cards are great performers as are the nvidia gs cards but me I would go with a x8 card no question about it but I am not a fanatic on any brand.

Xfire I would wait a bit for the 580 boards before jumping on to that, the current 480 boards are marginal at best and a bit lacking feature wise, that is what I am doing your looking at about another month or so for that. Nothing wrong with 2x x1600’s in xfire if that’s the road you want to take at a later date

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  17. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Having a card which lacks SM3.0 does not mean less image quality. It just means some of the effects are missing. (water on AOE3 looks less transparent- big whoop).

The X1600XT and below don't really have enough raw horsepower to show off SM3.0 anyway. So while the image may appear prettier it won't be playable.

Anoter problem with the x1600xt/pro is the architecture it uses. In shader heavy games it is good but still not that great, But in less shader demanding games it i basically only a 4 pipe card.

ATI had such a great opportunity with this card and I personally feel they could have least made it a real 12 pipe card with a 256bit memory interface.

18. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    reading the thread, i can only agree with double cut

in this price segment the 6800GS (the pci-e one) is the best choice IMHO, ati is just lacking in mid range, the x series are outdated, and the x16 cards dont perform well enough to be taken serious

a x16 has HDR and AA, but it lacks power, so a 6800GS imho is still superior

and woohoo, 9k2 on a x1600xt in 3dm03? hehehehe my 6800le kills that, even when you take into acount how poorly my card Oces and unlocks... it still kills ati's top mid ranger :p

19. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Im the opposite tbh, given that the X800 and 6800 equivalent models do give roughly the same performance (I guess you could lump the 7800GS in there too), beyond that the 6 Series cards obviously have the feature advantage. Simply based on that Id personally go with a 6 Series card over an X8xx series card, but im not big into benching these days and benchmarking is where the X800 series shine from my experience. Until I got my 7800GS, all my personal benchmarking records were set on my X800XT PE (at around 600/600) and my 6800GT flashed to Ultra, even at 440/1200, could only get close in a few areas even though overall gaming performance was very similar (although more consistent framerates on the 6800 in general) between them.

If you are looking to the future, however far ahead, and want SM3.0 support for whatever reason, anything less then a 6800GS is likely to dissapoint when full blown SM3.0 games are available (im assuming that since a 6800 Ultra will be able to run UT2k7 pretty well, a 6800GS should do fairly well also). Purely from a performance pov, the X800XL/Pro or better cards also offer exceptional performance if not quite the same level of features.

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    its true that the 6800GS is more powerful than the x1600xt, but theres a reason why agamelas dosnt want it. as he stated before he dosnt want to spend more money than he has to, and theres possibly more reason behind him not wanting it...

the x1600xt is more than powerful enough to have all eye candy up at a fairly decent rez (decent to me being 1024x768) and games still being playable. crysis, quake wars, and just about any unreal engine 3 game might be an acception for a single x1600xt but theres no doubt in my mind that a x1600xt in crossfire can tackle them, not to mention how powerful crossfire x1600xt can be at stock speeds and how cheap they are...

reason why i didnt go nvidia is because ive had multiple horrible experiences with my last few nvidia cards on many systems, not just one...just my 2 cents