X-Fire 5770 Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by frandaman, Apr 12, 2010.

1. frandaman

frandaman New Member

GPU:
    R9-380x
    Until recently I've had no issues with my cards but noticed in the past few days that one of my cards throttles back to 157/300 and the other stays at 850/1200. They used to both throttle back when in 2D. Not sure if it is a catalyst change, afterburner or what. I've never experienced the gray screens or any of the other issues I've read about.

These are MSI R5770-PM2D1G flashed with the Asus bios running at 1000/1350 since mid-November. Using AB 1.5.1 and rolled back CCC from 10.3a to 10.2 but still the issue. I'm not sure what version I was last using w/o the issue so I guess I'll roll back to 9.12 (I'm sure all was well then) and move forward unless someone has a suggestion.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    are you using afterburner to monitor the clocks?

with the latest drivers, there is an ultra low power state which switches off the second card.

when the second card is switched off, its clocks are incorrectly reported in most programs, afterburner included.

use ati overdrive to monitor the clocks of individual cards when ultralowpowerstate is enabled, or just run regedit, search for the string enableulps and set its value to 0 to disable it and allow programs to report the idle clocks correctly.

3. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Yup look at your temps. I doubt that a 5770 would be idling in the upper 20s low 30s if the clocks were at 850MHz with stock cooling. The same happens with my X-fired MSI 5770s

4. frandaman

frandaman New Member

GPU:
    R9-380x
    Soooo, not to be too much of a dolt, everything is actually working just fine as always it is just being reported improperly? I opened up overdrive and toggled between the cards at idle and card #2 shows 0 deg and 0% fan. AB shows the temp correctly asfaik but everything else is just kind of flatlined generic. I adjusted some games to window mode so I could see any changes in AB and OD and the 2nd card did wake up fine but went right back to odd readings when I closed out. As big as a nuisance as this is it is just that...a nuisance?

I did find a thread (another forum) about the cards crashing (mostly 5850's) and the ultra low power and the solution was the same a s above I believe. Guess I'll reload 10.3a and hope it gets sorted in 10.4!

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    yeah, when it reports incorrectly, its generally because its in the 'off' mode.

10.4 and so on will have ulps as well. best to disable it.

when you set the registry string 'enableulps' to 0, and reboot, you'll notice amd overdrive will report the clocks on teh second card correctly, as well as voltage.