X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro & W10Pro ISSUES!!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Psychlone, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks S750 7.1 Surround on Windows 10

I've had W7Pro and then W8Pro since it was released, then updated to 8.1Pro with this same audio setup and couldn't have been happier with the performance of it. It exceeded every expectation I could have ever had... loud, clear and just awesome.

I just did a clean install of W10Pro expecting all of my hardware components to function as they did in 8.1Pro... and everything did but my X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro.

Things I've done:
    First thing I do on EVERY fresh OS install is to turn off Windows automatic Device Installation
    (System > System Protection > Hardware > Device Installation Settings to No, let me choose what to do)
    ((seriously, why does Microsoft really think they know what I need better than I do?))

Downloaded SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0007.exe, installed and rebooted, no card recognized --rebooted.
    Switched PCI-e slot the card was in, rebooted, installed these drivers again, still no card recognized. Uninstalled and rebooted.

Downloaded SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0004.exe, installed and rebooted, card gets recognized but neither CCP nor SoundBlaster control options work. (CCP finally installed but wouldn't recognize the card and so wouldn't even open, and the built-in SoundBlaster options refuse to see the card at all)

I then updated the drivers without uninstalling the 2014 set and there's something strange here too... the drivers are Creative, but they're dated 3/15/2015 instead of the 8/15/2015 date from Creative's website.

Having had this card since it came out, I've very aware of the PCI-e slot/IRQ dependencies...
    Turned off the computer, removed the card from the bottom PCI-e slot and replaced it to the one above -- same thing.
    Replaced it to the slot above that, same thing, replaced it to the slot above that, same thing (this board has 4 PCI-e x16 slots) and then each one back down the board, each time ending in failure of 7.1 surround, CCP and/or SoundBlaster not recognizing the card at all, but I do get sound, just not 7.1.
    I've even set hard IRQ for the card in each slot it's been in, but nothing seems to make it want to play nice with W10 Pro.

So what's up? I realize I'm a minority because of the age of the card, but more importantly, a minority because it seems that no one is using this card in a real 7.1 system like I've been doing for years -- this card and speaker setup has been the most outstanding experience I've ever even heard come from a computer. I'm a tech and get to see lots of people's setups, and literally nothing has rivaled this system.

Please help!

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Is it recognized as HD audio device?

If yes then try this, first install DanielK latest pack, so it installs THX, volume panel, DTS, etc..

Then uninstall that HD audio device (in device manager), don't reboot, now go to extracted creative driver folder

[​IMG]

and run its installer, wait until it finished, reboot
    now it should work properly again

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for your help.

Since I made the original post, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card again to no avail.

After seeing your post, I've not been able to get the card recognized in a way that it actually makes sound because it's only being seen by W10 as SPDIF only. I'm going to try to recap what I did before that made it kind of work. (I went through a BUNCH of tries just to get it to make sound in W10 in the first place, so figuring out exactly what I had done might take some time)

In the meantime, the newest drivers that recognize the card (albeit in a way that doesn't produce sound) don't show it as an HD audio device, and when I tried to install Daniel K.'s drivers, it just fails right at the start because the device isn't recognized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ah ok, I see it shows xfi sb by normal audio, what if you uninstall it there (but keep the device), press refresh so windows installs it again and then reboot?

Also sometimes disabling and enabling it again can make it work too, usually happens by fresh driver install

EDIT: I see you used Audigy driver pack (P17X Series Support Pack), I think that's why it doesn't recognize it.

Try this SB X-Fi Series Support Pack 3.7
    http://danielkawakami.blogspot.si/2015/09/sb-x-fi-series-support-pack-37.html

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for all the help -Tj-.
    I finally got it going after trying a variation of what you suggested.

1. Uninstall all Creative drivers (I used the old DriverSweeper that used to be hosted here - been in my toolbox for probably 10 years!) and only selected Creative to remove.
    2. Reboot and install Daniel K. --no reboot after install.
    3. Uninstall x-fi drivers from Device Manager (audio inputs/outputs only)
    4. Force installed the older 2014 official Creative drivers via Device Manager > Have Disk
    5. Reboot and use /Daniel K./Audio/Drivers/Setup.exe to install and overwrite

On reboot, it all worked like nothing ever happened.

Thank you! Something you said reminded me of uninstalling but not rebooting until after installing a different driver. That was the trick with this.

FWIW, the newest W10 driver listed on Creative's website will not work in it's current form. I installed W10 on a separate HDD just to test, completely clean install with nothing else installed, and the official W10 drivers only installs the SPDIF device.
    The older Win8 drivers from last year do work though provided that the Daniel K. drivers are installed first, then the older drivers force installed, then the Daniel K. drivers installed again with overwrite.

Thanks again!!

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Great, glad you fixed it.