X-Fi Titanium HD or Xonar Essence STX

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by streakpt, Jul 28, 2011.

1. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    Yeah probably, just order one, 130 euros(plus 10 for mailing) for it... not bad.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't recommend that unless you have the proper soldering gear which is not just an ordinary iron. Modern cards are multi-layer PCB's and when you solder with a normal iron you can damage the connections in the internal layers. You can try retouching the points but if it is not working chances are your ruined the card. It might still work though, you would not damage the DAC just from soldering in new sockets.

A word of advice, next time install another DIP 8 socket on top of the main ones. This way if you change opamps alot you are just working on the top socket and not the main unit on the card. Make sense?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    yes. all soundcards are the same when it comes to using a digital connection. only differences is the type of DSP is has available for use.

4. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    Well i also use Headphones for gaming and it seems creative software is the best for gaming.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I wouldn't go that far....there can be differences in digital depending on the circuit design and how precise the timing is. I have been working with systems where you can here the differences in the digital signal.

You are kinda right though, in that at the lower levels, generally you will not hear any differences.
    The differences can come from timing issues and sloppiness usually refered to as jitter.

6. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    Just got my soundcard yesterday and i have to say that playing BC2 with it is just amazing... 5.1 digital dolby pwns

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nice! What sound card did you go for?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    If you look at his sig, you may find out. ;)

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sigs don't always show what the person is talking about. Especially if the card is new or the person hasn't upgraded their specs in a long time.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. ghost_one

ghost_one Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Does the Titanium HD have a headphone amp ? id like to couple it with a pair of sennheiser HD 600 ( that is if it works )

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    It doesn't have a headphone amp, You can just get a external amp like a Matrix M amp to drive your HD600 when using the X-Fi HD. Then use the card as a DAC. You would plug the RCA outputs of the card into the line in of the amp.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The card has a dedicated headphone output but NO amplifier.
    For high impedance headphones such as the HD600's you will need an external amplifier to get the best sound.

13. G-note

G-note Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD
    Yeah thanks for the advice i should have used my hot air smd soldering iron to try n remove them but oh well you live n learn. Also the card still works just not the headphone out so i take it my dacs are ok.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, your DAC's are fine.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Thought I'd revive this topic. I might buying a new sound card soon and thought I'd ask here.

In terms of audio quality, which of these cards is better, and why? What DACs do they use and how are they similar and different?

What about the new Creative Z series, especially the ZxR? How does it compare to both and what changes with the ZxR having 5.1 output instead of stereo?

I'd very much appreciate your input ROBSCIX.

Thanks.