X-Fi Prelude Still the Best?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ripken204, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They are modified drivers, The info on the web suggests the Auzentech team worked very closely with Creative when developing the drivers for the Prelude. The Prelude doesn't have the THX panel at this time.

2. zifnab

zifnab Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Imho the prelude isnt the best gaming card in Vista any longer. The asus xonar is.

3. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    well my mic still doesn't work, but other than that...

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    My mics for some odd reason, i didnt think it was gonna work at all. Because of people saying it didnt work for them. Thats why I didnt really see if mine worked til I tried it.

5. ripken204

ripken204 Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800gt co arctic cooler 5 rev3
    well i got my card installed and so far it seems a little clearer and i can hear some more depth.

but its midnight so i cant really blast it, lol. tomorrow will be a great day :)

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    why's that?

7. ripken204

ripken204 Active Member

GPU:
    well he said that simple comment b/c he doesnt know what he's talking about.

time to start blasting music to see how this **** really sounds like :)

8. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    It's probably a bit late to start suggesting sound cards, but I just read this review of the Asus Xonar DX (http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500/1) which rated pretty highly in subjective listening tests, beat the XtremeMusic in several objective benchmarks, has it's own technology that emulates Creative's EAX5, and it's $90 USD.

Note that I did say XtremeMusic, so I don't know how it'll fare against against Auzentech's Prelude.

9. ripken204

ripken204 Active Member

GPU:
    well money isnt that much of an issue for me, lol.
    i have top end hardware and i now have top end audio, im very happy.
    i need to find some eax5 games now.
    i have BF2142 to test out :)

10. zifnab

zifnab Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Lol @ " he don't know what he's talking about" I have a prelude, and an x-fi fatality, and a d2x, along with many other assorted sound cards over the years. I said I don't think the prelude is the best, the xonar is, for a couple of reasons. First, it sounds every bit as good as the prelude. Second, the prelude, while equipped with better components than creative's own cards, still uses creative technology, which opens it up to the same problems associated with creatives own cards. Third, the asus doesnt need OpenAL in vista to reproduce 3d sound. It uses it's own hardware solution. Finally, I truly hope you never need support from Auzentech because they are worse than Creative in that regard.
    I hope you enjoy your new card and it causes you no issues but you asked for opinions and I gave you mine.

11. zifnab

zifnab Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Oh, and if you can get a D2X for 90 bucks jump on it Ultraq. It usually lists for 170-199 with 199 being the norm.

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I never had problems with auzen support, they respond back to me fast. And plus I can change the front opamp on my prelude. Unlike your Xonar. So I dont have to mess with tools to change the front opamp.

Your Xonar chip is the same chip as the oxygen HD, all asus did was rename it. It still a oxygen HD card.

If some one wanted to, they could mod asus drivers and all it stuff to work on the Razer and the X-merdian if they wanted to.

Also Just because the auzen has a XFI chip on it. do not mean it has the same problems as the creative XFI. The Auzen driver are better then the creative drivers.

Prelude drivers are modded XFI drivers, thats why they working better, besides Auzen getting on creative back to make sure they do things right.

I haven had any problems at all with my prelude or the drivers every since I pre-ordered it last year.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  13. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong. Auzentech has a track record of quality products/drivers... unlike Creative, where they will throw anything out and hope for the best.

I remember when I was waiting on the Prelude. It got delayed 3 times getting things right. Creative doesn't do that and made a blunder when the X-Fi's hit. As soon as people put them in nForce4 boards, the system was unable to post.

I'm also thankful Auzen doesn't toss in the rubbish extras like Creative's drivers installs.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    yea they did delay it so they can get it right. Same I glad they didnt have the rubbish extras aslo.

Creative doesnt care, wheres auzentech does.

15. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    yeah, Auzentech is pulling the right cards to become the top player. this is something we needed for so ong, so well done Auzen guys.

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    zifnab: in case you didn't notice, he said it was the Xonar DX, which is on Newegg for $89, not the Xonar D2X. Only thing i see on the D2X that is interesting off the bat is that it actually uses PCI Express 1x instead of PCI. If you ask me, that whole shield thing they have over the top of the card to prevent interference from other components is a load of BS. I'm pretty sure that if there's something going on that'd cause interference..... it'd be able to cause said interference whether it's through the back of the card or the front.

As it's been said.... Auzentech's Prelude may be using Creative's X-Fi chipset and, for the most part, Creative's X-Fi drivers.... but at least Auzentech is making an effort to improve the drivers, and doing so on a seemingly rather frequent basis (seems to have new drivers on roughly a monthly basis, sometimes sooner should there be a hassle with a current driver set), unlike Creative who hassles a guy for his ability to make better Vista drivers than they can make. Nothing like flushing your own company name down the toilet due to something as stupid as someone modifying your software to make it better for those that want to use it.

Also think you have your facts a little backwards about the Xonar and OpenAL. just reading through this little article from not long ago.... it seems that it still basically uses OpenAL... but doesn't require any type of "software wrapper" like Creative's Alchemy, nor does it require game-specific configuration, due to everything being built into the drivers. Hell, they even seem to blatantly admit that the bulk of the processing is still done by the CPU.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14447

if you ask me.... it seems like the Xonar is a $90-200 hardware wrapper for software emulated sound..... anyone agree?

17. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    I do agree! In all fairness, that's the thing that prevented me from buying a Xonar in the first place. if you're paying a top price for a sound card, the least you can expect is the thing to take care of $hit, and not leave it to the poor CPU to handle it.

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    What? What utter nonsense!!!

DirectSound3D HAL is removed in Vista, so there goes your hardware accel support. The only way for every card nowadays to obtain 3D sound is via OpenAL. Creative cards and the Prelude has ALchemy to wrap EAX into OpenAL.

All other cards only offer up to EAX2.0 and that won't work anymore in Vista, unless some kind of new "ALchemy" is developed which will work on any generic card.

As for the tech support from Auzen, they are quite fast in responding and fixing the problems. I'm having less problems with my Prelude that i had with my CL Xgamer Fatal Pro.

Are you a CL fanboy/PR manager?

19. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    I want to ask, does Prelude has its own driver or is it rely on Creative driver?

20. Wateri

Wateri Member

GPU:
    LeadTek GTX280
    My Prelude has been working great so far, but there is a very minor issue.

Slight audio skipping/distortion would occur whenever there is heavy disk activity. I am using the latest driver from Auzentech.

This is perhaps the inherent issue with Windows Vista. I don't remember this problem when I was using Creative X-Fi Extreme Music in Windows XP.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008