X-Fi: Entertainment Vs. Gaming Mode

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by mikesta_navarro, Jan 17, 2011.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Then I just un check the eq box :puke2:

2. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    You switch to game MODE and load up a FPS, BOOM HEADSHOT, BOOM HEADSHOT, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM HEADSHOTTTTTTTTTTTTT :banana:

3. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    There's a bunch of settings that behave differently in each mode as well, despite being named the same (probably for the sake of simplicity).

CMSS for example uses different algorythms because an ac3 or dts output is very different to real time multichannel - speech and lfe being the obvious ones.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yes in entertainment it acts as a sound expander, for example in movies it ads more space to the sound @2.1 speakers.

[​IMG]

5. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    I honestly just leave Game Mode / CMSS3D / Crystalizer running all the time. 90% of the time I'm playing games, the 10% I'm listening to music I can't be arsed to change it.

6. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    And I'd be the exact opposite, I just use Entertainment Mode all the time with all of those effects turned off completely.

7. Delerue

Delerue Member

GPU:
    Zogis 9600GT
    I owned a XtremeMusic and I can tell that CMSS-3D works differently between Game and Entertainment modes. The Entertainment mode messes a bit with upmix (I'm talking about 'stereo surround', as 'stereo xpand' is a POS), specially with center channel (it's not as loud as the others). I think that Creative tried to add a more complex algorithm for upmix in Entertainment mode, and it ended sounding worst than Game mode.

There's another thread here talking about the same subject: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=246383

Also, take a look here and see the main differences between the 3 modes: http://www.guru3d.com/article/xfi-fatality-fps-soundblaster-review/8

8. dracis

dracis Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB @ 960/1400
    No one uses Creative AutoMode Switcher?

Works like game profiles and it'll change audio settings per application.

9. soddit112

soddit112 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX560 Ti
    i leave mine in game mode. cant hear the difference between it and entertainment mode, and a few of the games i play still use EAX/OpenAL. i have CMSS3D on with my headphones too.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I use a Creative Auto Switcher tool to automatically switch from Entertainment to Game mode when I load a game. It's easy to use, you just add the executable to the program and leave it running in the background. It is a little buggy and doesn't always switch back but I find it useful.

And why do I use it in the first place when I could just set the sound mode to Game and be done with?

Well, I listen to a lot of music and, IMO, it sounds much better in Entertainment mode, richer and with more oooomphf (sorry for the lack of a technical explanation!) but some games crash if I run them in this mode, for example, Fallout 3 is especially flaky unless it runs in Game mode.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm sure that there's a difference, at least to my ears entertainment mode sounds much better. When I did a loop back RMAA test there was a difference if I remember correctly.

12. anthonyda

anthonyda Member

GPU:
    470 GTX SOX
    Sorry for acting like a necrophile on this thread but,

Can somebody please tell me why the steam games aren't switching automatically the audio profile? Everything else is fine :(

13. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    When you launch a game from steam, utilities that auto detect programs may not do it properly because.....well, you're launching it from steam.

This happens with Creative Alchemy sometimes, as well.

14. Dr.Chocolate

Dr.Chocolate Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6gb ASUS
    I use both of them, there is a bit of difference when using the gaming mode for audio playback, so i switch them, but now it looks like im back to integrated sound card, because i have some latency issues on x-fi and i cant seem to find the cause of this.

15. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570

16. contruable

contruable Member

GPU:
    G skill @ 1600 mhz
    best tip!!!

17. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Did my own tests

Entertainment mode sounds better then game mode, unless you set 24-bit 96khz for both in advanced sound options, then they sound the same

Entertainment mode CMSS-3D with headphones is -BAD-, its very muddy, and not very accurate

Game mode CMSS-3D with headphones is amazing, sounds perfectly accurate

18. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    What about with speakers? Thanks

regards,
    RagDoll.

19. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I hooked up some stereo speakers, borrowed my brothers

Same thing, Entertainment mode CMSS-3D is sloppy as hell, very muddy, hard to make out positional cue's

Game mode CMSS-3D comes alive, very crisp, very clear, sound position is perfect

20. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, I'm gonna try it :)

regards,
    RagDoll.