WTH is going on with GTA V

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bigbeard1986, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    I am on windows 10, running 15.7

Today i tried playing GTA V, and the game ran horribly.

GPU usage across both GPUs was under 10% each.

I was getting 5-15 FPS.

The weirdest thing was that the game was only using 1.8 gigs of VRAM...what is going on?

All other games are fine.

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe if you post what GPUs and in game settings you use somebody could help you.

3. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    crossfire amd 290, 4x aa, all other settings max. i was getting 60fps average before. Now, game is unplayable.

the biggest issue here is that rivatuner reads the game is only using 1.8 gigs vram, which is really 900mb per card, as rivatuner doubles vram when in crossfire. That is what is giving me near 0 fps.

I lowered all settings and saw 0 difference.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    If you use the Steam version check game files integrity.

290 4 GB card?

ONLY 900 mbx2 ???? With all settings maxed (advanced in game settings off i suppose...)?

This VRAM usage is not correct.

5. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    yes it is a 4gb card. i reinstalled the game - same problem. advanced settings on. I had none of these issues in windows 8.1

something is wrong, with drivers, game, or windows 10 (or any combination).

6. johnslash

johnslash Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290
    I've been noticing some issues with Windows 10 and 15.7 also in GTA V, feels like the FPS has indeed decreased.

7. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    I have the same problem .... i do not have this with the 1040,1055 or 15.6 dll's.
    So i think it is related to 15.7 and windows 10.
    Just use the dll's from a different driver or install an older driver.

8. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Ok so i launched GTA V after 2 months of W3 exclusivity. There are a few settings id recommend you not touch,like in the advanced options: anything with a slider, i left untouched for now.
    Btw this is with 15.7 base and 1055 dll's. Im getting about 55+ fps (@1440p) on my oc'd 290x.

Vsync OFF - Ths is one of the major problem starters. With it on my FPS is bouncing from a constant 30 to 80 (yikes). I had a MUCH smoother experience locking the frame in RTSS.

Shadow and Shader - Keep on High.

Anti Aliasing - Use a maximum of 2xMSAA. 4x is just not worth the performance hit. You can use it though, if you willinG to turn more options down but in my opinion it ain't worth it.

FXAA- If you like a bit of blurr here and there :Leave it on. It helps, especially if you're using VSR like me. It blends in quite nicely.

Depending on your card OP you can leave most settings on Second best or Best and should maintain a nice constant FPS. Let us know how you go and if you want to optimise a bit further (as i am) read the Geforce GTA V Optimisation Guide.

It should help squeeze out more FPS.

9. Gaditurbo

Gaditurbo New Member

GPU:
    r9 290x 4g crossfire
    all drivers in Windows 10 give me the same error with gta v The Witcher 3 least 15.5 drivers .

sorry for my English translator of google

10. Sethos

Sethos Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Suggest you guys check out the various GTA V PC related forums and the subreddit. Game has been massively broken since a previous patch. They recently released another that supposedly helped with the performance but it's still junk. Stuttering and huge dips all over the places.

11. Gaditurbo

Gaditurbo New Member

GPU:
    r9 290x 4g crossfire
    to the previous patch he had Same Problems .

with 1,055 dlls improves performance, but memory consumption is less than 2 gb

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Technically the drivers are effectively still 'beta' until 29 July. I suspect that the drivers for both Nvidia and AMD that come out around 29 July or so will be something special. They will want to make the most of the initial Windows 10 benchmarks which are only really 'valid' after 29 July on the release version of Windows using the release version drivers. AMD will probably have the advantage here since they have done significant work on their drivers with DirectX 11 etc (and still are progressing with this) whereas Nvidia already has improved and optimised that aspect of their drivers several months ago.

If there is an issue with GTA V and Windows 10 etc, there is possibly a GTA 5 patch incoming around that time too :). Even if they have the fixes done already, they will probably wait until after Windows 10 release.

13. cps1974

cps1974 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    yup rockstar patch destroyed the frames per seconds performance

14. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Member Guru

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Patch 1.27 and 1.28 ruined the game with stuttering.

15. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Have they indicated whether they intend to fix it? Perhaps they're waiting for Win 10 to drop..:confused:

16. Sethos

Sethos Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    https://support.rockstargames.com/h...-and-GTA-Online-on-PC-after-Title-Update-1-28

"7/22/15 Update: We have received a small number of reports from players who are still experiencing occasional framerate issues or stuttering following 1.28.01, and are continuing to investigate. Please stay tuned to this page for more information as soon as it is available."

They seem to be somewhat aware of the performance issues.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows 10 GTA 5 performance is bad :D

18. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Not when using different drivers.
    For me it's isolated to 15.7 and Windows 10, any other driver acts normal with GTA minus what R* messed up with the update.(Small loss of fps)
    But if i downgrade and use the 1040 drivers perfomance is even smoother then it was on Windows 8.1 with the 1040 drivers.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I cracked my game on purpose, I'm still at 1.0.350.2. It's fine here, better than Windows 8.1 (higher lower framerates).