WTF Windows XP wants to be reactivated. Need Help ASAP.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Sh4z4m, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Sh4z4m

Sh4z4m Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT 128MB AGP
    OK so today I updated my drivers and I followed the steps in the thread stickied at the top of the page for Nvidia Users. After I start up my PC to install my new drivers after having uninstalled the old drivers by booting up in safe mode and using Driver Cleaner, Windows loads and tells me that it detects major hardware changes since the initial XP installation and needs to be reactivated within 3 days.

I have no idea whats going on at that point but I just figure well I'll just reactivate it. So I hit reactivate now and click activate over internet. It tells me that I have to use a new product key to activate Windows! (I had an OEM edition of Windows can only use those CD keys once) so I'm at a lost at what to do I just exit it and install my new Nvidia drivers and restart my PC.

It starts up and gives me the same message, again. This time I click activate by telephone I dial the number in hopes of being able to speak to a customer service representative and telling him my problem. Instead I get an automated voice message that tells me to give it the ID key on the Window Wizard Activation screen so I do that and then it's like the ID can not be validated I will now transfer you over to a Windows representative.

So it transfers me over and I get a message saying the number you have dialed is not taking calls at this time. So WTF way to help your customers out Microsoft.

If anyone could help me out really I'd greatly appreciate it, but please respond quickly. It wants to be reactivated in 3 days, I'm assuming that at the end of 3 days my XP will no longer work, so help me soon please.

Also my XP is a perfectly legal Windows XP Home Edition OEM purchased off of newegg.com so I have no idea whats going on.

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    There is a limit of about 5 automatic activations per year on standard OEM software (not something from Dell, HP etc those are different) but you can activate it as much as you want over the phone - so I don't know where you got "(I had an OEM edition of Windows can only use those CD keys once)"

Check to make sure the key in windows matches the one on your COA. Open the activation window and somewhere along the line there will be a button for "change product key"..make sure the one that is there matches what you have.

3. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    just search the net for a crack and be over with the activation headaches.

besides, MS is just using your hardware change info to sell it to marketers and analysts. they already got paid for the license, don't let them leech $ off of you.

and yes, i tear off the vendor stickers off my cars. no free advertising you f'ers.

-scheherazade

4. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    That's not so smart telling somebody to look for a hack or crack. You can get in trouble here doing that.

5. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    U see updating drivers only is not a major hardware change that Windows is giving !!

Since u have a legit copy don't go for cracks !! Try Microsoft's Help Center ........ e-mail them if possible !!

Now ....... did u have system restore enabled ?? If yes then restore to a previous state before u installed the new drivers !!

6. michealace82

michealace82 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X BFG GTX 285 OCE 1GB
    Try the telephone route again. I just had to reactivate for the 7th time this year. Thursday nite I installed my new RAM and bingo,After the reactivate message and the I activated too maney times message,I figured if I have to call I might as well do a reformat/reinstall.I have talked to the same Rep every time He is cool and never hasseled me,just gives the code.
    I dont get the not taking calls thing try again maybe they work M-F ???
    the main phone menue handles all XP OS's,and I just talked with the Guy Thursday.

7. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    yeah just phone em dude., they only ask for the 1st (or last) 4 digits anyway. They always activate it for u. I had legit activated xp running on 3 differant machines at one stage, don't tell m$!

8. SgtSquarenuts

SgtSquarenuts Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra o/c w/c/Koolance Exo
    I hate M$. I have defeated the problem for ever. No more begging some chick on the phone that sounds like she learned English in some hump hump sailor bar. I did purchase a legal copy btw. I just got sick of the degrading bull sh*t that M$ likes to put us all through. Screw em.

9. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Member

GPU:
    Evga 7900 GT 256mb
    according to the M$ you can have it installed on as many machines as you want you just cant have 2 of them on at the same time

10. LayZ

LayZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X
    ...Well as long as you are not making any hardware alterations you can try the following....I know coz I used to have the same problem with my WinXP Home Edition.....finally figured this out....

There are 2 files....namely Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak....located in C:\Windows\System32...make a backup of these two files(like copy it tw some removable media,CD,Floppy whatever suits you)...now u may format ur HDD and reinstall Windows...u'll have to decline the Activation request when prompted... then restart windows in safe mode....copy the files to the same location(C:\Windows\System32 that is) and replace the ones that are already there(I guess u already know but for those who dont,u'll have to rename the existing files to something like Wpaold.dbl or something,then put in the new files and delete the old ones)...and that'll be it!!:D Enjoy...oh and btw this is perfectly legal....;)

11. LayZ

LayZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X
    And ppl u may also wanna check this out....

12. whome

whome Guest

Bill Gates is GOD