WTF I reformat my comp now BF2 runs like ****

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Girn, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    ok wtf is going on no settings are changed.. installed omega drivers like I had before. I was able to run on high textures and high lighting and everything else on medium on 1028by762 85hz.. I try that again now I get stuttering every second. btw im running without the new patch cuz of its memory leak.. anyways this shouldnt be happening why is this? could it be cuz of my HDD? Cuz I had to reformatt my comp when my hd crashed after it was making clicking noises and freezing up my whole comp.. but I doubt it can be that.. this doesnt seem like the normal stuttering that I use to get when I just look at a certain area that I had with normal ATi drivers before I installed Omega's which solved the stuttering... this is ALL THE TIME!! and like 5fps all the time.

2. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    Did the clicking noises go away?

3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    defragment the HDD, and ensure you installed all your chipset drivers after you formatted

4. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    everything is installed.. anyways im in the process of RMAing it.. so I just reformatted it to so I can play bf2 a bit before I get the new HD.. anyways this shouldnt be happening its BS

5. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    You did something, or forgot to do something. Its not BS, its lack of BF2! I know the feeling brotha, dont go insaine yet. And once you figgure out those problems, your going to frag some arse!

6. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Didn't EA make this game?!
    That explains your answer, they suck, try reinstalling it.

7. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    BF2 is overrated

i loved 42 and vietnam, but right now i dont give a **** about BF2, i have the game, i got to the rank of lance corp, and completely stopped playing, i just dont care

the game is way to buggy, there are way to many balance faults, there are ridiculous exploits, all that ****

and then EA releases a patch which they themselves decide to roll back after one day, and the patch itself doesnt even fix anything, apart from making the game run even worse

until EA puts out a decent 1.1 patch im not playing it, and if that takes more then a month in total since the game launched, then i will definitly not be getting any sequel at launch

8. Fe-Man

Fe-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4890 1GB
    Check in your ATI control panel in Smartgart for the AGP speed. If it's not x8 then you have to reinstall your chipset drivers and theat should fix the problem. If it's already at x8, then I don't know how to help sorry. Best of luck! ;)

9. dismal

dismal Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP / 81.94
    i've seen this posted before

i've seen this posted before on some bf2 forums. quite strange indeed if all your drivers and directx are working properly. the only thing besides reinstalling again (and installing your chipset drivers, directx9c, and then agp drivers) would be this simple check. go to start - run - type in dxdiag and hit enter. DXDIAG is the DirectX diagnostic program. click on the display tab and see if all the accelerations are enabled. if they are then run the tests and see if it passes it.

good luck

...dismal...

10. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    EA didnt make it, they just published it. DICE MADE the game. tho i would agree that any blame would go to EA. Reason: EA rushes 90% of their titles out the door before they are done/fully tested just so they can make as much $$ as possible. their marketing teams are brilliant sons of bitches. too bad that this just causes the end user to suffer through patch after patch until the game is done. (i pretty much consider most EA games (espically Battlefield 2, which i love... when it works) beta ware until around the 3rd patch or so.

11. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    guys asking for help, and he gets moans and complaints about the game. LOL... good tech support.

12. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    this is bulllllllllllllllllllllllll****!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HEAR ME!

13. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    its probably 1 of 3 things, video drivers acting wonky is 1.

2. having lighting set to HIGH is a big one, (not 2nd guessing you but are you SURE you had this on HIGH before, cause this is one thing that makes pretty much any PC chug like a mofo.

3 your hdd is going. just cause it may not be making much noise doesnt mean its crapping out. if its trying to cache and access cache on teh fly and its dying (may not be a head crash, could be the motor that spins the platter) its going to be a rough ride to find, access and load those files. wait till you get your new HDD and see how it acts there. dont get mad @ a game when you have a piece of hardware that you suspect to be @ fault. and from the sounds of your 1st post im going with number 3 - the drive. when drives go bad, stuff breaks like crazy. just relax and you should be fine when the new drive gets to ya.

14. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    First of all are u sure u didnt put the Lighting @ High?

Second, If maxtor is the new harddrive u got then go and return it because those *******s dont know how to make a good damn hard drive.

15. Roccer

Roccer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti XC ULTR
    actually maxtor drives are usually one of the more reliable brands. its HP/IBM drives that sometimes like to kick the bucket

//still has several maxtor hdds from 7yrs (YES 7) ago that run perfectly fine.

16. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    yes yes its on high and so was textures.. cant live without normal mapping

17. dismal

dismal Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP / 81.94
    Read or do not read, that is the question.

Well you know what Girn, I think you did not even read my post - or at least you did not reply for any of us to know what you saw in your DXDIAG report. Other people are using this post to complain about the game while I gave you a very reasonable suggestion. So I suggest you check it out. This is very a important diagnostic - And like I said it is a very strange thing to happen but it has happened with this game before like I've seen on other BF2 forums after formatting. If it is NOT your hard drive dying, then it is a driver issue, the issue is in the order in which drivers and directx are installed. It is true, it has happened to me once before and I had to reinstall all over again. DirectX 9.0C in itself has a bug in which sometimes if you install your latest Motherboard and then AGP drivers and then Directx9c that all of your accelerations will be disabled and can not be enabled. If this is not the case then test out some other games. You have not reported if any of your other games run fine or not. If you want help then give us input and stop bitching.

Peace

18. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    odd. when i reformatted, my bf2 performance doubled, hell maybe even trippled. i unno what to say to that man. just make sure you have all ur chipset drivers and sound drivers all up to date. defragment, and if stil lthe same...reinstall game i guess.... :S

19. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    Re: Read or do not read, that is the question.

did you even think for a second that maybe I did check it out and forgot to reply?

20. Stev0

Stev0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN Sc SLI
    maybe just maybe on your old install you had remnants of old drivers that actually improved performance,did you ever install new drivers without using driver cleaner?