wtf! BOOTMGR is missing?!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deusex, May 9, 2009.

1. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    What kind of problem is this? never seen something like that before.

After BIOS loads I get a message "BOOTMGR is missing Press CTRL+ALT+Del to restart" after restart I get same message.

I have tried reinstalling Vista (64), nothing, I even got new HD, same thing, after a while this randomly happens. Strange thing is, if I turn off my comp for like 2-3hr and turn it back on it will work like nothing happens. Damn!

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Your Master Boot Record is corrupted. Try to reinstall the bootloader. If that doesn't work, then your drive's Master Boot Record sector may be damaged. You cannot use that drive as your boot drive if that is the case.

deltatux

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Didn't he say that, he got a new HDD...?

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I'd almost suspect a bios issue. Can you try load to default, dont OC but just change whats needed and see what happens? maybe bios update if possible. hopefully its not the bios chip going bad or nothing.
    sometimes hardware problems give illusion of software issues, missing system files, boot errors may mean issue with mobo somewhere. since its new HD, should be ok, but if you have another thats known good then doesnt hurt to try.

5. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Play with your SATA modes in the BIOS (RAID, IDE, and AHCI should be your choices). I've only been able to install Vista64 when I have set it to IDE mode then switch to RAID mode for Vista to successfully boot up. Took me a while to figure it out.

6. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x Evga sc GTX 780
    Try starting your machine with the Windows disk in the drive and see what happens..

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I should read more carefully next time, I kinda skipped it.

That's weird, sounds like your disc may be corrupted. If you got it in an ISO, did you run an MD5 Checksum to check if the file size is correct.

If you have a legit disc and license, go on BitTorrent and download an image. It's perfectly legal since you have a legit license.

deltatux

8. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Thx guys for help, will try your ideas.

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Probably a reasonable idea to check the memory as well as the motherboard in this situation.

10. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Hmmm.., I boot up my comp with Vista and tried to repair it. Vista stated that has found problems with "startup options" and will restart. Unfortunatelly it did not help. Maybe it Vista? well guess I have no choice but to try to insall XP and see if this problem goes away.

Last edited: May 10, 2009

11. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x Evga sc GTX 780
    I've had the same problem with some of my Asus builds. I've gotten to where I just leave the windows disk in for the first couple of weeks, it eventually fixes itself, lol...

12. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    just found out it is actually common Vista issue, there are couple of fixes that can be applyed, hope they will help.

Fu#@% Vista!

So when is Win7 coming out?

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The bootloader and etc for Windows 7 is directly from Windows Vista so if it doesn't work on Vista, chances are it won't work on 7. Win 7 isn't this saviour that Microsoft wants you to believe.

deltatux

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    but it is still the improvement, the better option when choosing an OS with gaming in mind. "Better" in whatever form or fashion is all you can really hope for in a new OS though its all about what fits your need.

15. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    did you disconnect the original drive when you tried to install/format the second hdd? if not thats likely the issue. your mb will continue to attempt to boot from the original drive until you either change the boot order or disconnect the original altogether.

16. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Like I said guys, it's Vista, unfortunatelly. finally I was able to fix it.
    I had to boot windows from DVD drive, and using command function type the following:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

then it finally worked, ufff. :grin::bounce::cheers:

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    True, but I just don't like how everyone's falling into their hype about how great Windows 7 really is. It's just a tweaked version of Vista with a UI change. Not much to be praised either since the changes aren't really significant at least imho. Maybe when I discover more stuff, then maybe yes, I might give them more praise.

ah yes, that BCD rebuild, i completely forgot about that. I thought you can do that by repairing your Vista install function on the install DVD.

deltatux

18. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra

you can, but in my case for some reason it did not worked.