wtf are the new core 2 e8500, 8400 etc? sold out everywhere

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by xD.FaTaL, Mar 19, 2008.

1. xD.FaTaL

xD.FaTaL Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 280
    christ they've been sold out on newegg for a month + ... what the **** is intel doing? I'm waiting on these cpus to upgrade my rig.

anyone know when more are being shipped? or did they give the slaves a break at the factory?

2. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    Intel is holding back the new stock until the old stock is sold out. It sucks, but its business

3. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
  4. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i got lucky and found one at a local shop. cost me $300, but now that all i see these procc for anyway. 2 months ago i bought one for my bro, and it only cost $220

5. xD.FaTaL

xD.FaTaL Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 280
    that is the dumbest ****ing business model i've ever seen. no way intel is that stupid. Release a new product, stop producing it till the old ones sell? people are just going to sit on it until more are shipped ... atleast the educated bunch will.

6. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51
    Lol.. I agree.. It's like if AMD were to release a 3.8 GHz error free SUPER overclockable Phenom, sold a few to local retailers, then they sell out of those few, then hold back untill all the old sh!tty Phenoms are sold first. If AMD were to ever do that, they'd be fudged. I don't think any company would be that stupid to do that.

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol or its just newegg....

Here at my place there almost in all better computer online shops.

8. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    You guys missed the point. Intel has a relationship with resellers. If they have a huge stock of the old stuff and the new stuff is released, then the retailers will be screwed b/c they'll need to take a loss on all their current inventory.

The initial release mightve been to test the waters for demand. They know that demand will be huge, so their strategy is 2 fold. 1 - they allow their retailers to deplete their stock of the old hardware 2 - they amass a large stock of the new inventory to meet demand when they DO release the new product.

I'm an analyst and have seen this method in several tech product rollouts.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Just get an e3110.

10. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    xeon e3110 is basically the same thing, Intel says they have a higher thermal theshold.

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    haha uk have loads of them

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I think they're more available internationally than the U.S. Maybe they're not looked at with the same significance as U.S. consumers? Hence less demand, no stock depletions outside the U.S?

13. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    WOW I didn't know these CPU is wanted this bad. I got my about 3 weeks ago from zipzoomfly.com for $260 with free shipping. I don't see much different from my old E6700. Some reason the temp is not reading right with any temp moitor program. Core Temp show core 1 is 45c and core 2 41c all the time. Ntune won't even load with this CPU it just crash. So i don't know how hot it really is under windows.

14. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Just about to upgrade from my e6700 to the 8400, so didnt really want to hear that you didnt see much of a difference?

Maybe advantages over the e6700 show better due to the extra cache then??????

Not sure i should bother now then.

Yeah loads in the UK, maybe go with the 8500????

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I couldn't find any for sale in Ontario so I ordered one from British Colombia... which ended up being a defective one so I had to RMA it. Then THREE WEEKS LATER I finally recieved one. It was a "Cross-RMA" so I had to pay for the replacement and eventually those jerks will refund me my money once they recieve the defective CPU, inspect it, sit around for a few weeks, then recieve an angry phone call from me and decide to send me a check.

So yes, North American supply for E8xxx CPUs seems rather low. At this point in time if you don't already have one just save up your money and wait for some new stuff in 2009. You have an E6600 which can do 3.6GHz without a sweat, why the hell would you upgrade to an E8xxx? Getting 4.2GHz or 4.4GHz over 3.6-3.8 isn't going to make squat of a difference even though Wolfdales are faster clock for clock. Most games these days (boring, predictable, over-rated FPS games) are GPU limited anyway. Also if you do get an E8xxx, keep it under 1.4v, trust me. Not even I'm crazy enough to run this thing at 4.3GHz 24/7, I run it at 4.1GHz 24/7, lol. I only run it at 4.3GHz+ when I feel like melting the snow outside.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008

16. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Core temp reads the tj max incorrectly. It should be 95c not 105c.

Try a tool called real temp:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044

17. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    had my e8400 for a month a and a half now and there was no stock issue where I bought it

18. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Nope, cache has little impact on performance (at least when going from 4 to 6MB). The clockspeed is the real advantage, but going from a 3.6GHz E6700 to a 4GHz 8400 is like an 11% improvement. Barely noticeable.

19. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    stocks were a little bit scarce here (philippines). prices here for the E8400 are slowly rising to keep the demand balanced with what is available. i got mine for $220 about a month ago..