WoW - Shadowlands - October 27

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Amaze, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PSN is also experiencing difficulties un-mass. Might be related.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Having my character now a level 50 instead of level 120 will take a bit of getting used to. Less than 10K health. Everything is more challenging, which isn't a bad thing.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not sure if the question has already been asked before but since pre-patch or maybe even earlier I've had this problem that when I start the game it stutters heavily for about 15-20 seconds and then becomes smooth and stays like that until I restart the game but sometimes getting a loading screen can induce such stutter for a brief moment.

Feels like it's a Borderless Fullscreen problem of some kind?

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    And we have a release date. November 23rd.

After the delay I assumed it would be the week of Thanksgiving, but feared it would be later after hearing the wildfires in California forced some Blizzard employees to evacuate their homes.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    No such issue here. My first thought is either a transmog addon scanning your database or a bag addon.
    In any case, perhaps this tool will help you figure it out. https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/addon-usage

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I do have a Bag addon but the thing is that I've somewhat experienced the same thing in The Outer Worlds while playing in Borderless Fullscreen. I'll try to disable the addon and see if it helps.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    WoW is doing a free weekend 5 November - 8 November. So now is a good time to try it out if you never have.

Amaze likes this.
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Blizz posted some teasers for the new zones:

Also Shadowlands has set the record for highest pre-ordered expansion to date.

9. Night Hope

Night Hope Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I tried it again after 2 years clean.

It's aging so badly, the character animations look so damn stiff.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I think they look pretty good considering the game is over 20 years old. Install the classic version and see how much it's improved.

12. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Over 20 years old? Umm no. The Warcraft strategy games are but WOW came out near the end of 2004.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Regardless, the game is old. And I agree with Ghosty, the animations look fine, especially on some new races.

And, most importantly, I don't think anyone plays WoW for it's animations. If there was a list of WoW's issues that need improving, animations wouldn't make it.

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    If there's one thing WoW nails its the animations, the immediate responsiveness of your character and the feedback you get is spot on if you know what to look at, there has not been a single MMO that has challenged that and that is why 1 by 1 they have failed and been stuck with all sorts of paywalls and MTX shops to stay afloat. You gotta get that basic gameplay right and Blizzard nailed that from day 1 and hasn't messed around with it much. WoW will remain the top MMO for years to come because even with all of its issues it gets the basics right so well and continues to do so for the most part.

Guild wars 2: great game but I wish it had the responsiveness of WoW and screw Anet for putting things like extra character slots in the MTX shop. Also screw the inconsistent gameplay design where base game is all about going around and doing whatever, be it solo or in a group. Then 1st expansion forces you to group up, making it almost impossible to progress solo, and then the 2nd expansion returns back to the style of the base game ??? you guys for real ?!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: screw the overtly long animation loops that lock you out of performing actions and screw the excessive voice overs for the most mundane side quests... dear NPC #396387.... I don't need your life story, just give me the quest and let me crack on! Then the later content where its basically a half assed solo game for the most part, bolted on the side of an MMO.

ESO: A solid contender but damn is the combat boring and get lost with the whole fiddling around changing between action bars and "weaving in basic attacks" and abusing animation cancelling for best performance, this wasn't and never will be an exciting way to do MMO combat! Game gets a pass from me purely because of the really cool zone story lines but falls in the same pit as SWTOR where you just wanna pick up a side quest and have to endure a whole load of filler dialogue to get the gist of it.

Destiny 2: dailies ( I mean bounties ) anyone ?... the whole gameplay now revolves around doing dailies, it was even a core mechanic of the last expansion and all the "season's" that followed. Hopefully that gets sorted in the new expansion. Oh yea and don't get me started on the "new player experience" which is a complete mess but again will hopefully get fixed in the new expansion. On a more amusing note, Bungie is "vaulting" a ton of content where it gets taken out of the game and might get cycled in later on. Some of this content includes the main campaign !?... Imagine if WoW devs suddenly decided that they'll take the whole Eastern Kingdoms or the entirety of Kalimdor out of the game because reasons!

I got my issues with the current state of WoW and I'm still on the fence with Shadowlands but the game is still to this day the only MMO truly worth paying a sub for and I don't think there will be another one coming any time soon... if ever.

Noisiv and Ghosty like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And thus, Repo Man's post was ignored for being too deep in the koolaid.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It turns 16 on the exact day that Shadowlands comes out.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    While you're correct, I don't think that's what he was on about, the overall responsivness of controls. More about animations looking "old". I disagree with him, to be fair, WoW has it's own art style and the animations fit in great. That being said, the recent changes to back paddling animations look awkward.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

Ghosty likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Expansion is pretty good so far! Lot of RP and story but, it's OK.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Ran of of things to do in SL. Maxed out renown and got some good gear. Started playing Classic.