Wow, New Orleans is basically gone

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Sota, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    That's one of the bigger problems...red cross people wouldn't/couldn't go in there to help people because their safety was in too much question.

2. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    when a state of emergency occurs,we can loot anything we want.no offense.but its the social responsiblity of the corporate orgz to help the community in every possible way the could..looting during a flood is no big deal..unless u loot a peepz home with peepz inside waiting for help

p/s : loot for food or shoes is ok,but dont go looting for tv,xbox or 7800 !

3. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Stop with the political skewing.

When Bush is on vacation, it isn't a joyride where he does absolutely nothing. The correct term would be a "working vacation", where he takes most of his work with him and operates his position from there. He maintains close contact with all his staff and still runs the executive. Saying that he is on vacation implies that he's doing absolutely nothing, and that's the ridiculous Al Franken left-wing skewed fact-twisting that doesn't need to make an entrance here on the forums.

As for the school story that has made more than enough publicity on Fahrenheit 9/11, he cut the visit short. He stayed there what, seven minutes after he was informed of the tragedy? What did you want him to do, exactly? Drive a fire truck and put out the fires on floor 77? There was nothing extra he could have done by leaving earlier.

I don't want to start a flame war with anybody. I just wanted to clear up one or two things, particularly the bit about Bush's "vacation."

4. Rick James

Rick James Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 gt @ 425/1120
    It's still a vacation.

If I was a soldier stationed in Iraq getting shot at everyday I would be very pissed off to know that Bush was on vacation, WORKING or not and I don't think that has anything to do with "political skewing".

5. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Naughty. Stuff about Iraq is strictly prohibited. The mods get really angry. I don't think anybody wants this thread be flamed.

Anyway, I have officially donated my $20 for Orenda's Guru Hurricane Challenge. See, I'm not a hypocrite. No, I don't work for the Red Cross BTW. :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention. You can now donate to the Hurricane fund at your local Best Buy. This can be done in $5, $10, or $20 or you can purchase several if you want to give more.

6. Rick James

Rick James Member Guru

GPU:
    Krikes....

I wish I had $20 to donate. Even Bangladesh (sp?) is donating money.

7. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Saying that he is on vacation carries an implication that skews what is actually happening. You can call it a vacation if you want but it's not a vacation by any standard that we are familiar with. And this has nothing to do with Iraq. Furthermore, you are not a soldier there and cannot speak for them.

Anyway, not to get overly political. Feel free to have the last word :)

8. Rick James

Rick James Member Guru

GPU:
  9. rEbirTH

rEbirTH Guest

sheet, even Cuba offered to donate 1,500 doctors. But last I heard the US doesnt want help from Cuba.

10. Rick James

Rick James Member Guru

GPU:
    Now some people are refusing to evacuate. I heard some lady saying that it was dry where she was and she had food and water and didn't need to leave.

Hogwash!

11. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Yea they're guessing that upwards of 10K people are refusing to leave even NOW.geez

12. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    who would evacuate with their 7800gtx still runing and their feets dry,considering looters are working 24/7 !

13. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    The problem with that is, when her supplies are gone. Where would she go and find more, if the services in the city, or county are at a standstill.

14. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    They can refuse as much as they want. But they are leaving...as requested by the movers who are there to relocate them to shelters or whereever they can go.

15. Rick James

Rick James Member Guru

GPU:
    There would be no food or water unless provided to them and there would be no electricity/gas/water/waste removal. When people talk about the idiots that stayed there despite the warnings these are exactly the people that I think they are talking about, and they are idiots, especially after everything that's happened. I guess the only excuse for this is if they are older people who maybe don't understand or are just really stubborn. They are going to have clergy members come in and try to talk them into leaving. I really hope that the residents don't make a huge deal of this and make those worn out cops come and remove them forcibly. There have been two cops that have committed suicide. I think it is very selfish of these people to try to stay there and make things harder for everyone. Some of the National Guard and military people have already been in Iraq or Afghanistan.

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I heard some people refuse to leave because they can't take their pets with them. They actually value the life of their dog more than themselves and their children. I love dogs mind you but I wouldn't risk my own life for it. The animal would be better off on it's own. People don't give them much credit for their ability to escape disaster and find safety.

17. evert.999

evert.999 Active Member

GPU:
    vga 512kb
    Our own leeves? Or the usa's leeves?

There still working on the leeve i live, there working already 6months on that one, making it higher and stronger, because we expect a strong storm that appears once a 10.000 years, and this storm will come soon again (couple of years, maybe 100, maybe 50)...

A much stronger storm then 1953

18. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    Some people's houses didn't get any damage at all. Those people don't want to leave their house and belongings to the looters (including the cops).

19. Rick James

Rick James Member Guru

GPU:
    I mean they are checking their own levee systems.

Some people's homes are not badly damaged, but most systems in the city do not work. They don't have a way to get food or water for themselves and a lot of roads into NO are damaged, so even if the stores were open there wouldn't be a way to ship products to them. I think it's ridiculous that they're going to try to stay even after ANOTHER evacuation is ordered. They are also surrounded by toxic water and dead people and animals, broken gas lines and downed power lines. If they were left there they would probably complain about the government not doing enough for them or for leaving them when they get sick or don't recieve food and water.

20. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    That statement highlighted, was corrected by the mayor of NO...it was blown out context. Services in the city are at a standstill, which includes the ability to get money and buy food and stuff. The 10,000 or so left would have strained whatever resources that are truly needed to bring the city and surrounding area to some human liveable standards.

They cannot divert that much resources to a stubborn lot, that in truth are in certain danger themselves. Potential hazards like fires (with no a water system functioning...no gas to cook food, no electricity, and no telephone) If theses folks were left to their own devices...more looting, more killings and the like, would be on the rise.

So, to prevent such things...remove the first potential trouble element...people.

These people may their own means to hang in there. But a deserted and ill city offers no protection.

Teams Find New Orleans Holdouts Wavering

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.