WoW Gets Dx11 in Cataclysm Beta

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    If you have the appropriate graphics card and system, you can play with the start attribute "-d3d11" at the command prompt, and enjoy the magic to be reflections on water or lava surface, sophisticated characters, and better sky. Meanwhile some unknown reason disappeared smooth transitions between water and shore, but as the editors think probably it is only a bug in the beta.

http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=37172&r=top

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/07/06/wow-cataclysm-dabbles-in-dx11/1

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I dont play this but i say WoW to this news. I also wamt to add, shame to other developers which dont even implement dx10 to current games.

3. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Hmm, WoW never was after up-to-date visuals, what happened? :) Seriously, good to hear it - even WoW starts using DX11, it's encouraging.

4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It's a matter of "what can be done" to upgrade an very old engine, along with "what can be done" to upgrade without shutting out the vast amount of WoW players who still use a single-core/AGP setup.

The revolution of WoW graphics has been great so far. With each new expansion more graphics and features have been implemented, with only minor effects to those with low-end systems regardless of quality settings.

I wish some of my beloved older games could get the "WoW treatment" and continuously be upgraded as much as the engine will let it, but let's face it... there isn't many people who still play Swat3/Ravenshield :p

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I'd rather see the use of more cores and SLI/Xfire.

6. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    This. DX11 shouldn't be at the top of the list on the list of things they are adding support for.

7. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I don't play WoW, but it is good to see more DX11 support!

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It most likely not a case of just not adding support, but what the engine is capable of. If a game engine (which was created many years ago and is pre-SLI) cannot use SLI for technical reasons, then it shouldn't be expected. Besides, WoW is not GPU intensive at all. You can max the "graphics" out with a old 8x series card just fine with everyone "graphical" maxed. Quoting "graphics", because just having a good video card won't let you max things that will also need a good processor/RAM setup.

And Xfire? Xfire works for myself, my girlfriend and all her and my friends. Not seeing any issues with Xfire and WoW.

Again, it's really a matter of what can be added. It's not like the devs purposely don't want it added, nor can they magically squeeze technology in a very old engine and expect it to work right, or at all. If it is possible, it will probably be added when it can.

9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti

i think he meant, crossfire, not the gaming messenger :)

i think its a great idea. anything they can throw at us in the graphics department i will take. dx11 is on the list of things to get in the near future and i would love to be able to take advantage of it.

10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    We had a conversation at work about how more MMO's could take advantage of DX11 with tessellation. As it is now, whenever you get into town or in a battle with more than 50 people on screen, you are bound to get slowdowns because of all the polys on screen if you have your characters and shadows set to max distance (it also can be network issue). You could alleviate some of the work with only having the very close characters fully tessellated and the further characters having very simple polys instead of just making them disappear. Then again...the character models in WoW are so simplistic you probably dont even need it...

Anyhow, yeah my WoW buddies are excited for the graphical updates and I'm glad there is another DX11 title out. Maybe more MMO's will follow.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    interested might give wow a go. i guess you have to dowload the original game and get all the expansions though for cat?

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    like its something embressaing..playing wow :D...

yesterday in my battlenet account i activated WoW..i will play this ..yeah me..the guy who doenst like cartoon looking characters and visuals..iam bored..need a mmo and maybe this..and look with DX11 visuals..anyone here plays this? maybe u can help me in the game and we can be good mmo friends who likes to fight against armies of evil..

13. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Actually you only need the original game. You will get DX11 update either way. Cataclysm is a content expansion, like BC and TLK. Tho with only WoW on disc, you will need to download lots of GBs of patches :p

lol, just noticed that its an old post...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  14. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    I don't play it anymore. But I'm sure there are lots ppl here that do. I'm also interested in how the game looks now, with dx11.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Bealive me it looks the same lol :D

16. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    lol ok thanks ;)

17. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Way to bugged still seeing artifacts on few places no this is't caused by bad card my laptop having it asswell :p

Tbh they should add teselation for wow imagine stormwind :p

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    but the question is, is it a good MMO? iam bored with CONAN and STAR TREK..EVE requiers high IQ and i FAIL...until Guild Wars 2 comes i need a good addictive mmo..money isnt issue.

19. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    wow defiantly will get you addicted probaly :p
    Cataclysm expansion is comming out tonight actualy around midnight.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  20. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Mr.Bigtime , are you aware that The Lord of the Rings Online also features DX11 and is free2play now?

Good luck playing Wow for free. ;)