WoW FPS halved with recent drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Lavcat, May 2, 2011.

1. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    My frame rates in WoW are approximately halved with Catalyst 11.4 or 11.3 installed. In contrast Catalyst 11.2 and 11.1 work fine. So far I cannot find anyone else having this problem, so possibly it is something I am doing wrong.

My 3D Application Settings are:

Anti-Aliasing
    Enhance application settings

Anisotropic Filtering
    Use application settings

Tessellation
    AMD Optimized: On

Catalyst A.I.
    Texture Filtering Quality: High Quality
    Enable Surface Format Optimization: Off

Wait for vertical refresh
    On, unless application specifies

Anti-Aliasing Mode
    Super-sample AA
    (though I understand SSAA does not do anything in D3D11)

OpenGL Settings
    Triple buffering: On

The only game I play is WoW. I sent Catalyst feedback after I tried 11.3 and 11.4 preview. Can anyone offer suggestions (other than to stay with 11.2)?

If it helps I play on a single monitor at 1920x1200 60Hz, all WoW eye candy maxed.

2. psy_parasite

psy_parasite Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950x2 OC
    try turning off tripple buffering in wow, see if it helps at all. your using d3doverrider for vsync? if not use it

3. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    After 4.1 patch make sure in the game (under options) that dx11 is on, cause after patching to 4.1 it set it self to dx9 auto.

4. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Thanks. I have not tried turning off tripple buffering. That is one thing I suppose to try. V synch on or off makes no difference in the minimum frame rates.

5. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Yes, I have always been using dx11 for these tests, both before and after 4.1. The 4.1 patch did not seem to affect the problem one way or the other.

6. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    And you guys tried with all addons turned off ? I know "power auras" messed up my fps after 4.1, i had like 280fps before and then 19fps, was fixed in the new update of power auras tho. Maybe its some other addon who screw with you ?

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    FPS is where it should be with 11.4 on my system, so something must have gone wrong when you installed it I guess.

8. mikami

mikami Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 780 ti
    I think it fixed for me when I deleted the config.wtf file and/or the cache folder. Using 11.4 with a single 6950

9. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I think our problems may have different causes, as I had the problem both before and after 4.1 came out. I can switch drivers back and forth as many times as I please -- it does not matter whether I do a complete clean in safe mode or just install over old driver -- Catalyst 11.1 and 11.2 always work fine and Catalyst 11.3 and 11.4 have half the framerate, which is unplayable.

I should add that once I was sure 11.2 worked the same as 11.1 and 11.4 worked the same as 11.3, I have only been going back and forth between 11.2 and 11.4 for testing. Right now I run with 11.2 and everything is good, except for a minor problem of dotted white lines between some texture boundries. The dotted white lines are still there in 11.4.

10. mikami

mikami Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 780 ti
    I forgot to mention I used driver cleaner 3.0.0 when I updated from 11.3 to 11.4 so I don't know if that helped somewhat.. I've noticed that wow 4.1 is really finnicky with dx11. It doesn't like alt tabbing, sometimes it removes my gamma setting back to the desktop default.

11. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Something I just noticed tonight for the first time: my gamma got set to what looks like the desktop gamma, and for some reason I can't change it. I can move the gamma slider, I can click and unclick the little box to use desktop gamma or not, I can apply settings, but there is no change in how the screen looks.

I compared config.wtf to a saved version. The current config.wtf has Gamma "1.200000" while my saved config.wtf has Gamma "1.100000".

After I've had a bit of sleep I'll try setting the gamma manually in config.wtf and see what happens.

I also made an observation about alt tabbing: I can alt tab among different instances of WoW and other programs pretty much without problem. However if instead of alt tabbing back into WoW I click on the program tab, then WoW gets corrupted! The symptom of the corruption is a low resolution screen with pretty multi colored pixels. When that happens there is not much to do but alt F4. In a post on the Blizzard forums I mentioned I had seen this problem but could not reproduce it. Now I can reproduce it!

12. Gnux

Gnux New Member

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6950 2GB
    close wow, open your config.wtf and add this line on the config.

SET gxApi "d3d11"

save and open wow again.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I didn't get issues with neither of these drivers.
    Have you tried 11.5a hotfix?

14. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    if you cant get it fixed & you can consistently make 11.2 run faster in dx11 mode, put atidxx32.dll & aticfx32.dll into wow's folder & resume using the latest cats for the rest of the system

15. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Yes, if your post was in reply to me, I have been doing this since I got the 6970.

I have also added -d3d11 to the launcher shortcut, as recommended by a green poster on the Blizzard support forum. Adding -d3d11 to the launcher shortcut is supposed to fix a problem where d3d11 sometimes reverts to d3d9 when the game is started. The fix worked for me.

16. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    No, I have not yet tried the 11.5a hotfix. There is supposed to be a new hotfix to be released tomorrow (5/17), and I will probably try the new one when it comes out.

17. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Tonight I tried the 11.5a hotfix (5/16 version). The hotfix works as well as 11.5 WHQL...that is to say it doesn't work. Display driver stops responding at the WoW character loading screen.

I am now in the process of completely reinstalling WoW as suggested by Blizzard tech support. I am not optimistic.