1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW Classic official announcement!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Solfaur, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Problem is, people don't react well when convenience is removed. I heard there was a massive outcry when they removed a lot of portals in the game for example.
    On the other hand LFD is basically not relevant at max level thanks to M+. However, M+ has also made raiding much less lucrative.
    And let's be real, the added complexity over the years has in several cases made raiding far less fun. Not saying we should go back to simple bosses but there is a middle ground to be found.
    A much stricter limit on raid addons would be nice as well, because the arms race between addons and boss designers has been going on for years now, it's gotten pretty ridiculous.

And yes pve rotations in Classic are very very simple, in large part due to the debuff limit. In pvp however you get to use most of your toolkit on a regular basis.
    Also, it's not the gameplay that will keep you playing Classic, it's the people you meet.

2. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah, I'd say that especially in the sense of preparation it's just not so much fun. You also absolutely need to stack some classes to cheese mechanics and that's not fun either. I understand the reason, it used to be that the bosses didn't fall so quickly, but on the other hand people who kill them didn't progress them on PTR and didn't have full equip form that tier, because they were running HC mode the entire week. Boss mechanics are now also brutal, I haven't played much BFA, but in legion there were bosses that just wiped the raid if anyone made a personal fail and these bosses didn't have super simple mechanics.

But as I've said, I think the biggest problem now is that there just isn't anything interesting to do outside of instanced content. No danger anywhere and as a result, no fun.

3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Absolutely, the current raids are fine, there's nothing wrong with them, they're great.

About the rest, we seem to agree, I would like to add about sitting in town trying to find a group... Because there wasn't any cross realm or anything like that in Vanilla, and people often had to work together, people became friends in game and often ran content together. I can honestly say that I never remember the people I've ran dungeons with in modern WoW. This is because you go LFG and rush through the instance (that is super easy), get the gear and leave group. Most of the time, nobody speaks. This is because they're random people.

In Vanilla, people ran dungeons together and they knew each other because you kept bumping into the same people.

Backstabak likes this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Yep, and that's why I said it's not as simple as that, no matter what Blizzard do, they'll end up upsetting some players.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    standing in ironforge for hours was da bomb trying to get a strat group up! LF priest! then by the time you got a priest that was aggreeable then the people you had there for 2 hours doing nothing while you spammed chat decided their mother needed them or they had to goto bed or they had found a better group and just bailed out if one came up.

good times indeed.

but that is also how i met alot the people i would bring into our raiding guilds, the healers that were kick ass at healing, the thieves that could follow basic instructions and not aggro the entire dungeon, the warriors that could tank and hold aggro when it was required.

Because those people were the minority most were blithering morons.

classic wow!

that pvp treadmill garbage was my FAVORITE thing about classic wow, well and hot coffee mod it made PVP ques SO FUN for alliance and the games my god the games getting steamrolled by horde 9 time out 10 10/10 why i quit wow was pvp was a waste of time if you were alliance and blizzard gave zero fs. getting to high rank meant you gave up on having a life, you gave up on playing other games, you gave up on not pvping in wow and that is all you did. pvp gods in that era were the "wow nerd" you see in south park and other parodies. :p.

yes classic wow was AMAZING 10/10 do not play. :p

6. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    The good thing is these kids grow up and no longer living with mothers so they will be available :p

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Another mind changed :D

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    My mind is still "been there, done that".

cerebus23 and Repo Man like this.
  9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    And perhaps it'll stay that way. The point that's brought up in every single one of these videos is that they were of the same opinion until they actually got their hands on it.

10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I wonder what happens when the honeymoon period ends and people have exhausted all the content Classic offers, we gonna see classic TBC ? WotLK ? Cata ? etc. One of the things with MMO's is that they evolve and take you to new areas and adventures after a while. I think when the nostalgia trip wears off, its gonna be a pretty rough landing back to the reality which is that while WoW in its current state certainly has its issues which we can debate until the next expansion launches, Blizzard has also done a lot of good to make it a better game.

The only reason I might give classic a go is for the questing in the old pre-cata world. When Cataclysm ( the worst expansion made to anything ever imho ) launched I felt terrible about what they did to some of the zones like Loch Modan and Wetlands, that was also where they really started injecting story into the game which in some cases was good.

One of the reasons I loved WoW untill Cataclysm was that a lot of the story was there but it was either subtly hinted at or you kinda had to dig for a tiny bit by actually reading the quest descriptions when you didn't have things like Wowhead or thottbot ( anyone remember thottbot ? lol ) but most importantly you felt like a fledgling hero, part of a big world, just a cog in the machine doing its thing whereas now in the current game and for the past 3 or so expansions you're some sort of a high commander or emissary or whatever, someone who plays a key part in the story but its totally meaningless Saturday morning cartoon crap because there are a good 5 million other high commanders or emissaries or whatever's doing that exact same thing, going through that exact same story. Hard to feel special and meaningful when there's a bunch of guys and gals stood next to you who are all just as special and meaningful.

I don't know how "warts & all" experience Classic is going to be but Classic had some major issues like PVP being a bit all over the place, most classes basically having 1 cookie cutter talent build for each spec, for PVE group content you were stuck healing if you were a druid, tanking if you were a Warrior etc.

Not having a group finder while not necessarily a bad thing is gonna get old after a while if you're just playing solo and wish to dip your toes into a quick dungeon. Not having a Battleground finder is going to blow because I recall well the effort it took to get battlegrounds going sometimes. I dunno, maybe these will be in the game, I haven't really read that much about Classic so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We'll see how it plays out in the end, maybe Blizzard will re-iterate on it throughout the first year based on player feedback. I hope it turns out ok and as much as I enjoyed vanilla and have many fond memories from it, I'm also personally happy for it all to stay as memories.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i would die if asherions call got a proper hd remaster with all the content of the mmo for the length it was out. i mean a full redo with proper gfx and all its mechanics intact.

there several emulators that are almost functional for ac already.

and a husband and wife team i think one or both worked at turbine on asherions call is creating a mmo and for a 2 person effort it looked pretty damn ok the little i saw.

my humble suggestions keep the cross server quing that was in pre bc anyway so that is still "classic" technically. ironforge pvp ques went from 5 hours to a oh so reasonable 2.5 to 3. when they put the ques in.

kill the coffee mods they made pvp a fing bad joke.

kill the falloff in pvp if you have to have a life or take a break. i think i lost like 5 ranks in a week i fd off and had fun besides grind fing wow? it was something insane i recall. i was thinking oh i will lose two three ranks but holy hell. that was a crap ton of hours sitting in pvp ques and idling in if now i had to regrind. especially how crap alliance was in pvp in those days.

pve ques also cross server makes getting groups for those starter sets less of a hassle. and hell pug 40 mans if your really feeling like repair bills but hey why not. cross server 40 man mcs? could be hysterical.

things i for sure would change about classic wow that helped drive me off the game. the contributing fact that as a old school mmo player i felt insulted with the amount of "free" content wow produced. which was next to nil tons of updates and fixes and nerfs and buffs. but any real content was held for the expansions on top the sub i was paying?

asherion call had i think 3 pay expansions its main game life while i played and every month they had full on content expansions, events story arcs lore and world building.

guild wars had most of its expansions pay, but i had one substantial full on free one and was otherwise free to play, on top of major seasonal events and some story ones even for free. and all their expansions added whole new parts of the world and lore in.

how many people that played wow could really break down the lore or say they REALLY cared about the lore or story of world of warcrarft? guild wars was pretty damn memorable if short. and got more substantial as expansions came out.

yea they announced bc and i was looking at the content they had added over the last year and i was like yea these guys really revolutionized the mmo they charge you a full on subscription for barely anything but keeping the servers open i guess, and if you want any real content or depth? your gonna have to pay for it.

and eve o honorable mention you paid your sub you never got charged for a update to the game. their updates were 3 to 8 months but they were there when you paid your sub lol.

wow had the most criminal mmo model maybe imho ever and fans propped it it up because it was colorful and fun.

but thats just my 2 cents on the matter of wow.

12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    [​IMG]

Repo Man likes this.
  13. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I think part of the big attraction is that things are just harder and take more time so when you do them they are much more meaningful. Right now on BFA (and legion or wod as well) there is nothing dangerous in the world. Things like DF are convenient, but because you don't know who you group up with that content must be simple.

I don't know if classic is going to be super successful and I definitely do not thing it will overtake retail, but I hope that the interest it gained will show Blizz that having harder "casual" content or having no time gated content is something that can work, because frankly I don't think wow will have much expansions if they do not change their design philosophy.

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    To some extent I definitely agree, one reason I don't pug dungeons anymore is because of how people just rush through stuff. I used to tank for my guild back in the day, running vanilla dungeons and raids over and over and you really had to time your pulls well and take a bit of time with your approach in general. Today its just a case of pulling an entire room and hope for the best because its all rush rush rush. The really bad thing about that approach is that when the idiots who only play DPS classes finally decide to make a tank alt and do some dungeons as they level up, they think they're awesomesauce and try to pull that same crap off only for it to go horribly wrong followed by lots of arguing. Obviously things change a bit when you get to higher mythics but thats to be expected.

As for questing though, I'm a bit in 2 minds when it comes to keeping things difficult, vanilla had Elite Quests that often required a group but I always felt it broke the pace a little as you'd have to spam general/LFG to get a group going. Charming at first but gets old when you just wanna crack on. Oh yea and f*ck UBRS PUG runs! some mong would start a group and you go "you got the key right ?... yeah yeah man!" get to the entrance and go "ok who got the key ???" *crickets*.. FFS! I say bring back attunement quest chains, if you're willing to put the effort into getting in to a dungeon or a raid, you'll be more likely to put effort into getting out of there as well.

As a side note, I played a bit of FFXIV recently, made it to around level 30 or so but have had to stop due to lack of free time but I gotta say that from the little I saw, that community is a lot different. If anything, there is a great sense of actual community in that game but the gameplay unfortunately isn't quite as tight as WoW's and I find the pace difficult to adjust to as the GCD in that game is like 2 seconds or something which isn't a bad thing at all, just very different. Oh yea and a lot of the quests involve sitting through long, unvoiced cut scenes that are quite daft in a JRPG way, again not necessarily a bad thing, I've just kinda moved on from JRPG's. Regardless of all that, I highly recommend giving it a go if you haven't and fancy a proper MMO experience that isn't WoW.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Well i played the BlizzCon Classic Demo, and my mind did not change in the slightest.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah I agree that wow community is generally quite bad. I came back after wotlk for legion and when I looked at forums at launch, it was filled with topis crying for flying. How it is basically inhuman treatment to ride everywhere, instead of flying, even though flying was to come later in the expansion. Even the two basic achievements that it requires were cried about a lot. Similarly, Surammar zone had two mythic only dungeons that you can't just queue through RDF and guess what happened ? From the reaction on forums it had to be the worse than second coming of Hitler and Blizz actually listened to them and made it RDF a bit later.

However, I don't think that this is a general sentiment of the player base, this is just a vocal minority that expresses their opinion as typically you would go complain if you have something to complain about. Only rarely does someone go out of their way to say that they are content or satisfied. So Blizz should and does ignore many of these comments, however that is also a problem because a lot of good feedback is ignored with it as well. Problems and suggestions on how to fix them that were pointed out in legion beta were completely ignored and then later implemented because those systems didn't work. Same for BFA, only on a larger scale.

I tried TESO when I quit wow in BFA, It's actually quite good and quite a bit better in almost everything. Each expansion adds to the world, none of the "older zones" are left out and made irrelevant, which is something wow should really take note of. However, it basically lacks and competitive end game content.

cerebus23 likes this.
  17. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    I just had to share this. There's a group of troll rogues roaming around the beta server, ganking streamers. They have even taken the time to translate words to the opposing faction, it's supposed to come out as gibberish but they tell people to go to retail lol.
    Pretty creative way of ganking really.

Backstabak and cerebus23 like this.