Would you like to join the Guru3D: OCZ SSD test team ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Wouldn't mind participating in this :) Not sure i've been here long enough though ?

Would be in rig used daily for gaming and After Effects/editing + the usual day to day stuff.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's like when I had a couple of HearthStone codes to give away, when it was hot. I was getting so many PMs from all these random new "gurus". Also, when I was giving away one of my 7950, same story.

Was actually thinking about the fact that the thread is full of new members lol.

Hold on, I must have missed the 2 years without reformat thing. If that's the case, I'm out. I can't tie myself down to this obligation.

Good luck all and I hope Hilbert chooses the right candidates.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    New and otherwise inactive members.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep. I just pulled out because of the 2 year no format thing. I still think hardly anyone will obey this rule.

This is a f*ckin free-for-all :)

5. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    I don't have enough posts or activity to be considered a regular but would just like to comment that according to a "This week in computer hardware" podcast there is an annoying issue with all of these new Vector drives, some kind of delay after large operations if I remember correctly. If anyone wants to listen to it and/or gets to try one here is a link to the episode.

http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-computer-hardware/308

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah....personally I'm more interested in the testing than receiving a free SSD (a nice bonus though). I already have 7TB worth of space and am happy with it, however I feel I would provide an unbiased account of performance and reliability. There are a couple of other names in this thread I would recommend in a heartbeat also...however in the end it's up to Hilbert.

I'm kinda surprised too that the thread was made public....it was bound to be derailed a bit.....:p

Well it's possible....I'm up to 4yrs no format with this Intel 520 OS drive I have.

But if it's going to become a fiasco I'd rather take my name out too. :)

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I would like to participate in this test for a few reasons.

1. I'm a geek.
    2. I love testing hardware, it's easily my favorite hobby and prior to my accident was a part time job.
    3. I'm diligent and a perfectionist by nature.
    4.I would follow through with the testing, forum posts, and any synthetic tests that you or OCZ require.
    5. 480 GB of SSD space would be quite handy since my current favorite game requires 80GB all by itself, then there's other games, modding them, the OS, etc.
    6. Due to my disabling accident I now have lots of time to tinker on a computer. My mobility is limited, but if it's within arm's reach I can spend all day on it (or most of the day). :)

Here a couple of reasons NOT to consider me.

1. I already have a SSD in all of my systems (counting wife's rig). I'd easily find a use for one of the older/smaller SSDs, but I don't "Need" it.
    2. I am quite technically proficient and have a good amount of experience with hardware, but I know there are plenty of people on these forums who are more educated in regards to this hardware.
    3. I do not frequent the areas of this forum where people go when they need help. I usually come here for news, reviews, and the gaming section. The most helpful people here should get this opportunity if they want it.

If I do get selected I can install it in either my main desktop (rig in my sig) or in a brand new, customized Sager NP9772 (Clevo P770ZM) that I should have delivered here within a week. Either one should meet the requirements. I would do heavy gaming, some 3d asset rendering/modeling, basic Windows and Internet usage, and whatever kind of stress tests I can come up with to torture it. I would not let my wife defrag it like she did to a former SSD..... lol ;)

8. barrell1

barrell1 Guest

GPU:
    msi 7850 2gb
    I wound like to join the test team for the ssd

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    bro, did you even read the rules?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    All people are seeing is the "free" part..... They seem to be missing this part..
    Nope. He joined just to beg for a free SSD like every other member that joined today and now have 1 post in this thread.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    So many people just want a free SSD, lmao.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't mind testing it for 2 years, I saw that part in the rules. I just didn't see the 2 years no format rule. Thinking about it, it kinda insinuates no format in that statement...

If there's a 2 year no format rule, I'm out. If I can format the drive within this period, I'm back in. I would most likely only format the OS partition and keep the rest of it getting abused.

Hilbert, can we have some clarity on this? Thanks.

cute, isn't it?

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd love a free SSD. I just don't want the 2-year commitment or the feeling that I'm obligated to provide a positive review.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hilbert was pretty clear on the fact that it has to be your review, be it positive or negative.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't state such in the rules, but with an SSD you can easily skew the performance results by formatting. If you're formatting at regular intervals, it will make the performance look better than it really is. Most SSD's lose performance as they fill up. If TRIM is working properly, it reduces the performance loss. Formatting, reverts the drive back to "like new" condition.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Nobody is obligated to provide a positive review. OCZ wants to see real world usage and how the new controller holds up, and thought this was a good way to do it. If your drive fails prematurely, or doesn't hold up on speeds, then you're expected to report that.

The 2 year no format thing shouldn't even be relevant to most people. I know a lot of us here are neat freaks (I secure erase my SSD every time I reinstall Windows), but the vast majority of users don't care.

I know guys, the idea of free stuff is super appealing, but this is about helping TEST a product.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Of course, I know that. I'd just like some clarity from HH on this, because it is not mentioned anywhere in the rules. If there's a 2 year no format rule, I'm out, If we're free to format (which in my case would be around 1-2 times in 2 years), I'm in.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm all for testing. but I'm a neat freak. so what is the format rule? yay or nay?

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I understand that. Doesn't change the nature of people. Some will give a positive review just because they got something free. Some will give a negative review just because they don't like the vendor. Some will give a positive review just because they do like the vendor. Not everyone is capable of giving an honest review. You've seen the "fanboy" posts.... Some, will refuse to accept view points from people who received a free product.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's why Hilbert is going to select long term members who have proven themselves helpful and knowledgeable. Lowers the chances of silly, useless "10/10, it was fast" type reviews.

As for the "no format" thing, I doubt that's an actual rule, but I'll let Hilbert officially comment on that, so don't take my word for it. I'm sure it would be ideal for testing purposes, but it's likely you're not going to be held to that. Real world usage is just that, real world. If you format a lot, you may be an exception, but you're still using the drive as you normally would.