Would you like to join the Guru3D: OCZ SSD test team ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2015.

1. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I would argue Samsung has lost its business from me due to their sloppy way of handling the 840/EVO issues. Their reluctance to fix the original 840 and OEM drives is unacceptable. I now have to rewrite the drive every two months or so (Diskfresh) to prevent suffering from extreme read performance drops to ~50MB/s. Sandisk is alright (my parents have one of the earlier Extreme models that would freeze due to the SF bug, but it was later fixed with firmware), but I haven't see many new models from them lately (Extreme 2 came out awhile ago).

I think the largest players are Crucial/Micron and Samsung, the rest all kind of dropped off the consumer market or command an increasingly shrinking market share (Corsair, Plextor, etc.).

2. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I would love to do this.
    This is my 10th year as a guru3d member.

PC is on 24/7 year after year.
    I am on my PC pretty much from when I wake up, till I go to sleep "43 years old and I don't work".
    I game from 4 to 8 hours per day, 5-7 times a week "depends".
    I do a lot of video game recording and some editing.
    I also download a lot. About 60-70gb in the last week.
    My current drives are pretty full. I am having to constantly make room on one of my drives. So a new drive would come in handy right now and would get put through the ringer. I still own 2 Vertex 2 drives but I do not use them anymore "used for 2 years". I am not trying to kiss ass here but the drives were good to me. But in my personal opinion, they should have been better. I would love to try something new of theirs.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'll help out if I can.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'd like to test too

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    After owning couple of Kingston SSD's i got my first Samsung (850 Evo) not long ago and i was just WoW! Its like 3x faster than my old V300 and even my HyperX 3K sucks compered to Samsung. Crucial is not available in Serbia for some reason.

Never owned OCZ though, it would be fun to try it out.

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I own a Vertex 3 since its release in my second PC and its nary given me a problem, even during the "Stops responding" bios scare phase before the bios update was pushed.

I can compare it to my Samsung 840 Pro and M4 500Gig, though comparing it against my M4 might be interesting as for some reason years on later I'm getting some major performance issues out of the M4.

For example 2 years ago when Planetside 2 came out, game would load near instantly, today its getting on average 6-10 second loads.

*EDIT* Transfering files from the M4 now, wow, getting only 32MBps reads. hopefully a format fixes it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  7. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Never owned Kingston, but I know alot of people hate them for changing revisions halfway while keeping the same label/specifications while the migrating to a higher density NAND. This, like OCZ before with the Vertex2(?) effectively crippled products later sold even though they were called the same name.

I think one just really needs a good performing, ultimately, reliable SSD. The speed differences are marginal in day-day usage. Also, RMA/CS procedures... After going through the X99 SLI that burned the CPU/RAM, I love Corsair for getting a new pair of RAM into my hands in 2 days from the day I mailed it to them. MSI not so much, my ticket has been closed without being resolved or even issued a RMA number. What about OCZ?

8. sorr535771

sorr535771 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Phantom OC
    I would love to do this, I have been a guru3d regular for many many years (daily), and have referred to the forums to get advice ect from existing posts, I haven't previously posted much but this wouldn't be an issue for me to pick this up.

My Kit:

Gigabyte G1 sniper motherboard
    Intel I7 4770k @4.6Ghz
    16gb geil black dragon ram 1600mhz
    Gtx 980 phantom 4gb @1.5 Ghz

I use my pc for photo, video editing, gaming (heavily) and as a server.

I think i could put this drive through its paces.....oh yes :)

My drives that have been in a year already one has 6.61tb of data writes, the other has 2.47tb (reported via SSDZ), the drives are samsung 840 evo's (250gb).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  9. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I'm down for this :) I use my system 24/7 for gaming, HD streaming and among other things.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  10. Kurg

Kurg Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II
    I'm interested, i'm a sick, i spend lot of time testing, defraging and take notes of all benchs and study the way to improve my disks, i'm a good candidate!!

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Does the 460A have the PFM+ from the OCZ Vector 180 models? Because the 180 models have problems with locking in order to perform trim. There is write hitching nearly every ~20 seconds. Most sites attribute it to the PFM+.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This should be an immediate disqualifier right here. If you had read the article you'd have seen that those selected will be required to post monthly "updates" concerning the SSDs.

Intel and AMD controllers only. No "3rd party" controllers.

I have 2 systems that qualify....neither of which use SSDs....

The system in your specs is also quite outdated and would bottleneck the drive. Defragging an SSD is not recommended as it shortens the life of the drive.

13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Do you understand the meaning of "likely"?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Even on this forum, there are more people using mechanical drives than SSDs, regardless of other hardware.

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Very interested in joining the test team.

As someone who uses his PC almost all of the time, in that my main PC (listed spec to the side) is also my media hub for my living room TV etc, i would love to do this. My PC is used easily almost all of the time every day of the week, either gaming, streaming, doing work or just surfing the net - i did have a 60gb Vertex 4 for my OS until last year, but it unfortunately had to be sold due to financial reasons (easiest thing in the PC to sell) and as such the PC OS now runs on the 1tb storage HDD instead.

My board does have SATA3, but it seems I'm in the minority here as I'm on AMD and most others are based on Intel :(.
    ---
    Re-did a proper post explaining why I'd like to do this here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5048195&postcount=269

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

16. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Link to statistics that confirms your claim...

17. ShadowWolf555

ShadowWolf555 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 Gaming 2GB OC
    Hi Hilbert,

I'm not a active forum member in terms of replies but I keep checkin' the forums. You can count on my help for testing that SSD.

The rig on my sig will not be my choice for the test bench as I have little time to even go to my gaming rig. My main choice would be my laptop (ASUS K53SV), and yes I think it'll be able to handle that SSD as it has a SATA3 controller with a Crucial M550 256GB and a core i7 cpu (i7 2710QE) and I use my laptop everyday at work/home.

Any more info you need on my application just ask ;)

Cheers.

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Interested in joining the Guru3D test team.

Have had experiences with the following SSDs:
    Crucial C300
    Samsung 830
    Toshiba Q
    Samsung 840 EVO

Typical system use includes but not limited to the following;
    Internet/Browsing/Music/Youtube streaming
    Multimedia/Videos
    Photoshop/Editing/Encoding
    Gaming/Steam/latest games/super large games lol
    Twitch streamer

If any other info is needed let me know :)

Thanks for the opportunity.

19. badsykes

badsykes Active Member

GPU:
    HD6950 2gb unlocked
    I have this rig:
    FX 8350
    8gb ram
    Gigabyte 970 UD3p
    Velocirator 10k rpm 450gb Hlhx revision
    Windows 10 x64 10041

The thing i still have a bit of untrust on SSD's right now...Some games DRM killed people SSD's but not heard mechanical drives exhibit this behaviour..Also i have seen some statistics that the failure rate of ssd is still high...
    I do wish to test an SSD...

20. hotshot100

hotshot100 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Hi, I would like to join the test team and replace my Asus G74S 7200rpm hard drive for a ssd.

I already have a ocz 460 in my desktop and I love it but im curious how a ssd can improve my laptop.

here a screenshot of my current laptop spec and hard drive speed.

[​IMG]

I am on guru3d forum since 2004
    Thanks
    Martin