Would you like to join the Guru3D: OCZ SSD test team ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2015.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    When will you HH announce candidates? :nerd:

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Tomorrow.

edit:

yeah sorry I meant monday

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. Shex

Shex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    I wouldn't mind increasing my log-in activity for the greater cause, I am currently going to be doing a lot of video editing, which I think would push the drive a bit!

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Think he mentioned Monday iirc

5. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    would be nice to use for windows 10 testing.

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Honestly I just want to see if it can be broken or could be broken.

There's such this stigma of "Hard work" on a SSD but my Vertex 3 (Which everyone deems CRAP For some reason today which is odd) and my Samsung 840 pro I've been doing encoding work on both for years now without issue.

Yet that's all you hear about from reviewers or tech websites "DON'T DO ENCODES" or "DON'T DO HEAVY WRITES" etc

And then that article just finished up doing the write endurance test to see how much abuse the SSD's could take, and when they were reaching PETTABYTES of writes, which almost no home PC user I can think of does this just got more confusing.

I mean, that's what warranties are for, and nothing lasts forever. Your Brand new GTX 980 has just as much chance of dying as your 750ti, yet everyone walks around SSD's like walking on eggshells.

Like even my Crucial M4 if it can take half a petabyte of writes would outlast my means for more than 400 years, my Vertex 3 and 840 Pro I'd probably reach a petabyte of writes doing encodes would probably take like 100 years.

Lately however I've been more interested in IO transfer rates though, like my M4 was only reading at around 30-40MBps according to fastcopy for 40-50% of the transfer of data to another drive before a format then jumped up to 400MBps, but after that it was going at 400MBps reads no matter what after I moved the data back.

Its stuff like that what I want to see the new drives heading towards, like why DID it slow down to 30-40MBps? Hell what is it, the 840 EVO's right now are crashing on read speeds. What is causing that and why? Is it the same thing that happened to my M4?

I just love where SSD's are going, these abuse tests/stability tests are far more interesting to me for the longest time than "read speeds", but then you get above like with my M4 or the 840 Evo and its like "Damn, how did THAT happen?" etc and you want to learn how and why, though I doubt we'd be mailing drives back and forth between OCZ so they could learn such things unless there was some catastrophic drive failure.

Anyways, just my whole two bits on the SSD thing, more interested in stability/durability than read/write speeds. Hell if I could get a SSD that read/write at 300-400MBps but had a warranty of 25 years I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's what I decided with my V300, first ever SSD but apart from shifting the pagefile, and disabling indexing, I decided to use it just like any other HDD, I didn't want to finally move to SSD then have to tiptoe around to use it

If it dies it dies, IMO I want to use my machine the way I want to use it, if there is something in there that can't take it, so be it

8. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I never thought to explain why I'd like to take part, as per most posts on the 1st few pages i did the same as them and simply posted that i would be interested with a short post..

So it seems best to do a new post explaining more (hope this is OK).
    ---
    Very interested in joining the test team.

As someone who uses his PC almost all of the time, in that my main PC (listed spec to the side) is also my media hub for my living room TV etc, i would love to do this. My PC is used easily almost all of the time every day of the week, either gaming, streaming, doing work or just surfing the net - i did have a 60gb Vertex 4 for my OS until last year, but it unfortunately had to be sold due to financial reasons (easiest thing in the PC to sell) and as such the PC OS now runs on the 1tb storage HDD instead.

My board does have SATA3, but it seems I'm in the minority here as I'm on AMD and most others are based on Intel :(.
    -
    A bit about myself.

I have been a member of Guru3D since December 2004, over the years i have used Guru3D to get advise on various things and really enjoy the various reviews/articles. Back when i 1st joined i was one of the 1st people to do the old Readers Rigs under my old user name of Stoner-Pimp (now called rig of the month) and it was very nice to have my setup at the time featured on the site (its actually still there http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/readers-rigs-stoner-pimp,1.html :D). I stopped posting for a number of years after my last PC finally gave up, and in more recent years i don't post as much as i used to - but for something like this test i would be sure to post quite often.

I currently live in Manchester UK, I'm 36 and am an administrator, i use my PC every day of the week for gaming, TV, movies, work, surfing the net and pretty much anything else PC related - its easily on almost the entire time I'm in the house and until the late hours of the night. My PC is my main media hub, it is wired directly to my living room TV and is used for everything, i don't have a sky box or anything like that and all my TV/Movies are watched via my TV card, Blu-ray drive or streamed online.

Why i could be chosen.

I have a decent amount of free time to put into doing this, and use my PC more than enough to put an SSD through the ringer. I have good communication skills, always like to make sure i put my information out in a decent manner and I am more than willing to put in the effort with the monthly reports required as part of this SSD test. I would also like the chance to show i can actually do something like this - over the years I've tried to get into various tests (usually software betas) and never get a chance to do them, it seems like such an interesting thing to do and something that i know i could do.

Another reason is looking through the thread, i am one of the very few people who is using an AMD based system (i fully understand why though), most others seem to be running Intel based systems and i think it would be nice to have at least 1 or 2 testers running AMD based boards to give a greater diversity of testers.

Over the years Guru3D has given me so much help when it comes to hardware, i really would like to give something back by being able to do this SSD test - it would give me the chance to get back to having an SSD in my system and it would also allow me to provide some decent (hopefully valid) info back to the site.

My PC the SSD would go into.

The PC in my information is my only PC, its mostly made up of AMD components due to price, it works well and is always maintained to keep it clean, running smoothly and at its peak performance. It did used to have an SSD but as explained in the 1st part of my post this was sold off a little bit back as i needed money during a bit of a financial crisis (I needed to get a train ticket), and it was the easiest thing to sell from the PC whilst still keeping the PC running. The PC is running Windows 8.1 and its running this off a 1tb HDD setup (its 2x500gb drives in Raid). It was really shocking to say the least when i removed the SSD, before i had one i didn't really notice the system speed but after removing it - it really is weird at how much you notice the system has slowed down wen just running HDD's.

When most benchmarks on SSD's use programs to show how they perform etc and don't provide a real world look into how they are actually used, i really like the idea of participating in a test to not only see how reliable OCZ SSD's are nowadays, but also how they go over time within a real world usage situation.

If any other info is needed on the PC, please feel free to ask.
    ---
    I do hope i can at least be considered for the SSD test, it sounds like a very interesting thing to do and i know i can be a valuable member of the testing team.

Cheers for reading.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well with that cleaned up. I only said I would participate before. The computer it would go into is my living room PC with a 2500k and a 780. It is currently using a standard 7200RPM HDD from western digital.

10. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    My daily usage scenario is several hours of internet browsing, microsoft office, downloading a couple of torrents per day and watching a couple of movies/series. A few hours of gaming and matlab per week is also on schedule .

let me know if you want me to test a drive

11. Mayank Goel

Mayank Goel New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7770 Vapour X
    Take me IN
    I can give it a damn workload for test cause i like multitasking

12. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    i will understand if i dont get a chance to participate with my low post count but at least i am participating actively in forum discussions

99% of the new users wont ever post again probably

by the way i didnt mention before what i use my ssd for, it has my os on win 8.1 x64, i use it regularly to unrar mods on it making it easier to get them ready to go on my games drive

i also record my gaming sessions sometimes and record to the ssd so the recording keeps up with the games

once again it's a great opportunity to be a part of something here

best of luck to all

13. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Hilbert already stated only people who have been here for a while will get a chance.

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    ahem..... i doubt i will be given a chance, but i thought i would just drop a post here.

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    i know this mate

16. qqan

qqan New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I would love to join!

Current OS SSD is Samsung 850 Pro - happy to swap and long-term test.

Also running OCZ Vertex4 (Hyper-V) and an older Samsung PM810 (games), and a couple of WD physical drives in my main workstation, daily used for FPS gaming and running VMs for software development.

Thanks for considering my contribution!

17. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Never used an SSD, so I'd like to test one out.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'd like to participate. I've had 3 SSD's and so far 2 of them have been crap. An unknown ADATA model that just stopped working 4 months after I got it so I replaced it with an Intel 320. Intel worked good until I decided to upgrade to a Samsung 840 and holy hell what a speed difference. Overall the Samsung has been good to me but like the rest of us, I'm always looking for the next best thing to tinker with to make my PC faster.

19. HoT

HoT Member

GPU:
    1070 G1
    I'm interested too . I have two ssd's , my first one was the vertex 2 128gb (wich i now using for games and some benchmarks) . My main ssd (OS) is a 840 pro 128gb . I recently bought a Maximus VII gene and replaced my old 3570k for an i7 4790k .
    Main games after 14 april: GTA V\ online and League of Legends

I'm a oc\bench guy" :)

20. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I wouldn't mind being part of this!! G3D coming on with wee bonuses and partnerships... nice one!!